Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An argument showing time is temporal.
An argument showing time is temporal.
Every point of time had to come into being and didn't always exist.

The whole of time consists of every point of time.
If every point of time had to come into being, then the whole of time had to come into being. (1 and 2).
Time is temporal and came into being.

Further argument:

Time couldn't have come from nothing.
Time could only have came into being from an eternal existence.
Time coming into being from eternal existence requires will as it's cannot be inevitable outcome from a material existence.
Whatever caused time has to have immense power.
The eternal existence is the creator of time and has immense power
RE: An argument showing time is temporal.
(May 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Every point of time had to come into being and didn't always exist.

Implies all of time exists at once.  That is one huge assertion.  Evidence?

Quote:The whole of time consists of every point of time.
If every point of time had to come into being, then the whole of time had to come into being. (1 and 2).

Why?  Time happens moment by moment.  Only now is known to exist.

Quote:Time is temporal and came into being.
Quote:Further argument:

That is one huge assertion.  Evidence?

Quote:Time could only have came into being from an eternal existence.

Quote:Time coming into being from eternal existence requires will as it's cannot be inevitable outcome from a material existence.

Quote:Whatever caused time has to have immense power.
Quote:The eternal existence is the creator of time and has immense power

All based on your assertions that you have not provided any support for.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Time is temporal?

What definition of temporal are you using? Temporal usually means "relating to time" or "for a period of time".

What is the evidence for these statements? I'm afraid I can't understand this argument. You seem to be talking about a second timeline in which our timeline appears, or something.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
He needs a little help with his temporal lobe.
(May 28, 2015 at 12:42 pm)robvalue Wrote: Time is temporal?

What definition of temporal are you using? Temporal usually means "relating to time" or "for a period of time".

What is the evidence for these statements? I'm afraid I can't understand this argument. You seem to be talking about a second timeline in which our timeline appears, or something.

Exactly my problem as well. Are you assuming that there is some additional external time with which the coming into existence (which is a temporal concept) of "our time" can be described. If yes, then you just moved the problem back one step by introducing a complication. If no, what you say literally makes no sense because you use temporal concepts without there being a concept of time on which they can be based. 
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Every point of time had to come into being and didn't always exist.
Which point of time?
I hope you do realize that time is subjective, not objective.
There is no such thing as a universal or 'privileged' point of time. The point of time for someone near a large source of gravity will be different than someone far away from it. The point of time for someone travelling close to the speed of light will be different than someone standing still.
Sounds like a rehash of the kalam argument.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If this powerful being is able to act, then I assume it must have its own version of time as well. So that version of time must, by the same argument, have had a creator. An even more powerful one, I presume. And so on.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 28, 2015 at 12:42 pm)robvalue Wrote: Time is temporal?

The argument one uses for showing that time is temporal involves a dictionary.  This is like saying that bachelors are unmarried, and tells us about language, not about other things out in the world.

The original argument is total gibberish.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Are you saying that Time can be stopped? is that what you meant by "Time couldn't have come from nothing... it came from an eternal existent"

If you killed yourself today, your time will stop, correct? but if you mean Time & the Universe, we will be continuing to live, the universe will sustain another millions of years, there is no end for time, nor a beginning.

We could ask ourselves;
Where did the universe come from, and where is it going? Did the universe had a beginning, and if so, what happened before then?

Ask yourself first What is the nature of Time?

If time can be stopped, then the universe would come to an End and that would be an utter pointless, don't you think?

Time always existed and the universe will always be in existing... If the creator of Time wanted to 'End Time', then what is the purpose of Time, if God has the power to terminate Time anytime he wants, then why wait till the End of Time?
"Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious..." - Michael Stipe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 45167 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4522 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Temporal anomaly Darwinian 40 22365 August 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Violet