Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do you think political correctness is a new cover for blasphemy?
Do you think political correctness is a new cover for blasphemy?
Because I do.

Criticizing religion - or even mocking it has always been taboo; however I think that mocking the likes of Islam will warrant much more outrage than if I did Christianity --- with accusations of ''Islamophobia'' etc.

Does political correctness hurt the cause of opposition to religion?
RE: Do you think political correctness is a new cover for blasphemy?
I don't know...I'll have to call the comrades for confirmation.  Your papers please?

All kidding aside.  I think that you might find people who would call you an islamaphobe, or a bigot, or a racist, or -what have you- for criticizing any religion, or the acts of that religions most ardent adherants.  
-Islam is in the limelight, that's all.

Not sure why PC would be cover for blasphemy...the arabs don't control the media, thats the jews...remember........?  You think the zionists are covering for the islamists?!?!?  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Excuse me for not getting into an elaborate reply. But the following sums up my view of the OP most comprehensively.

That's a pile of stinking shit steaming on a street corner, waiting to be stepped upon by innocent bystanders.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 7, 2015 at 2:49 pm)TheMessiah Wrote: Because I do.

Criticizing religion - or even mocking it has always been taboo; however I think that mocking the likes of Islam will warrant much more outrage than if I did Christianity --- with accusations of ''Islamophobia'' etc.

It works both ways.  Political correctness helps because it includes not discriminating against homosexuals and women.  A religion like Islam, regardless of what the quran and hadith say or don't say, practices oppression of women and the killing of homosexuals.

Political correctness doesn't help much because some people are just against Islam for reasons of racism, a well informed English Defense League member might have a genuine fear of Islam and know about the quran and the hadith, but the stereotypical English Defense League member doesn't care about Islam, they just hate brown people, in particular pakistanis.

The EDL actually has a lot in common with Islam in that when the cameras are on them they insist they are a peaceful group but when they get together and start marching they cause nothing but violence and hate.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Why would religion have to hide behind political correctness? It has enjoyed domination for centuries, and just because things are changing, that doesn't mean religious people need some sort of cover against opposition. For fuck's sake, one religion has been exposed as having worldwide cover ups for child rape, yet it's making a come back.

Do you honestly think something that enjoys such privelage needs the PC culture to protect it?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Political correctness goes both ways. Sometimes the accusation is right, sometimes it is wrong. I think the word Islamophobia gets thrown around quite often - Sometimes correctly, other times without reason. 

The problem with political correctness is that it depends on the contexts and proponents of the word throw it around when they want to say something different and people will not agree with them. It's hard to say what is and what isn't politically correct.

I think we do overly respect religion - I'm not saying we should just call all believers delusional or say everything associated with religion is bad, but there must be some ground to critically debate ideas and positions. This is true for all religions

I think some people and Muslims are wrong in calling everyone who disagrees with them as Islamophobic, but people who believe all Muslims are terrorists are also wrong. It is not Islamophobic to criticize ideas, but it may be to (1) Profile Muslims as being only arabs and associated anti-Islam with Anti-arab (2) Think Islam is magically a special religion. That's a special pleading. It is a religion like any other (3) Believe in the Eurabia conspiracy theories or that the sole purpose of Muslim immigrants who come to Europe looking for jobs and wealth is to invade us (4) Support measures like deporting all Muslims or putting them in condition you could not keep serial killers (5) Honestly believe your culture is superior when it has promoted slavery, imperialism, white supremacy and created an economic system where workers are considered tools and everything is sacrificed in favour of profit.

I don't have a special need to oppose religion, I only oppose religion when it poses a danger to public security and safety. I think reasonable debates about anything should be allowed.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Oh for sure. I think that people use political correctness as a shield to not really have to engage in discussions they would rather not. I think it's hardly limited to religious discussions.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
"All religions suck.  Especially yours."

That's very ecumenical.  It can be used against any religion.

well, if it was only a problem in stopping you from dehumanizing your enemy I would be ok your stance.  But political correctness is a far deeper cancer than just holding back anti-religion. 
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
I think PC is more a shield for individuals who wish to avoid discussing ugly truths. It's true that religious leaders sometimes appeal to PC sentiments in order to avoid addressing legitimate criticisms, but I don't think it's all that common.

I also don't think that all cries of "bigotry!" are illegitimate -- for instance, anti-Muslim bigotry in America is a very real thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5369 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3033 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35351 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Blasphemy law in the United States Interaktive 37 3594 February 2, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Yongy50
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7034 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7336 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  International Blasphemy Rights Day! chimp3 29 3461 September 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  International Blasphemy Day 2017 chimp3 84 20470 September 14, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38784 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet