Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Suggestion] Hide tags or trim long quotes
[Suggestion] Hide tags or trim long quotes
After I started using the mobile version, I started feeling this problem where people would post large wall-of-texts (not much we can do about that), and then some others will quote those entirely only to post a one sentence remark at the end. On the desktop it doesn't seem too bad but on the mobile it is pretty annoying. So I suggest that long quotes in posts, after a certain length, be automatically trimmed with hide tags applied appropriately if possible...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: [Suggestion] Hide tags or trim long quotes
(July 6, 2015 at 7:41 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: After I started using the mobile version, I started feeling this problem where people would post large wall-of-texts (not much we can do about that), and then some others will quote those entirely only to post a one sentence remark at the end. On the desktop it doesn't seem too bad but on the mobile it is pretty annoying. So I suggest that long quotes in posts, after a certain length, be automatically trimmed with hide tags applied appropriately if possible...

It shouldn't be hard to program only the mobile version to do that automatically.
I've noticed that quoting someone who has quoted somebody automatically cuts the first quote off now, but still leaves the "SoandSo wrote" banner, which I like a lot. Kudos.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I don't know what you're talking about Exian...
As far as I know, this forum automatically cuts off the third nested quote, so, when you press the button to reply to a given post, you'll only get the post you're quoting AND the post that had been quoted in there.

It is good netiquette to use the hide tags when quoting large chunks of text - everyone is encouraged to report when you find such walls of text with little (comparatively) comment below.
Oh, that's probably what it is I'm talking about. I thought it was the second quote that got cut off. My bad. Anyhow, I've only recently noticed it, so I thought it was a new thing.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2478 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1092 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Quotes Rogue 10 2136 April 5, 2019 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Losty
  Help me understand why the quotes are as they are? Gawdzilla Sama 10 1933 March 12, 2019 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Separating Quotes Cherub786 16 2289 December 4, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2951 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 976 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4817 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6301 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Civility subsection suggestion Catholic_Lady 400 46441 May 11, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius