Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Guitarists
Favorite Guitarists
When people ask me what kind of music I like, the only accurate answer is simply, 'guitar'. I love Rock, Metal, Jazz, Rockabilly, and most of all, Blues. As long as it contains great guitar playing, I'm gonna dig it. Listening to an amazing guitar solo is like staring into the face of God to me (<-- in the colloquial sense of the phrase). My list of favorite guitar players is quite long, so I figured I would try to narrow it down to my three all time favorites. Here are four...

This is a 58 second solo by John Petrucci, the lead guitarist of the band 'Dream Theater'. He is, by far, my favorite rock/metal guitarist.

And now the immortal Buddy Guy, Blues guitarist from way back. This is the man that Jimi Hendrix idolized. Here is 'Best Damn Fool' from his new CD (at the age of 73).

This next one is Joe Bonamassa. He is, quite possibly, the best living Blues guitarist. Not too shabby for a white guy from New York. Here he plays 'Blues Deluxe' live. It is 9:26 long, but worth every second.

And finally, Gary Moore. He's a Blues Rocker that never ceases to awe me. Here he plays 'Still Got The Blues' live. If you are impatient, the awesome begins at 3:45 and travels through various stages of amazing until the end at 6:47.

Are there any other guitar fans here? Who are your favorites? For those of you that play guitar, I mean other than yourself!
RE: Favorite Guitarists
I've got to mention that I'm a big guitar fan, but I've been neglecting guitar music a lot lately. The only guitar-driven music I've been listening to lately are the new Hendrix releases and the Gipsy Kings. Quite honestly, for a while, all I've been listening to is Bach, The Pixies, electronica and Michael Jackson.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
+1 On John Petrucci. I've been fortunate enough to see Dream Theater play live twice, the first time they played with Symphony X and the second time was with Opeth and both events were awesome.

- Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

- Django Reinhardt

- Mattias IA Eklundh (Freak Kitchen, Freak Guitar)

- Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)

- Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend Band)

Devin is one of the few who could make such a weird, yet awesome, masterpiece known as "Devin Townsend Presents: Ziltoid The Omniscient"

- Guthrie Govan

- Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)

- Antti Hyyrynen & Pekka Olkkonen (Stam1na)

- Tony MacAlpine (Devil's Slingshot, MacAlpine Brunel Chambers, M.A.R.S.)

"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
Nice. I particularly liked the ones by Guthrie Govan and Tony MacAlpine... and I've always been a Nevermore fan, especially the 'Dead heart in a Dead World' CD.

Two more that make my list are Buckethead and a jazz guitarist by the name Stanley Jordan.

My favorite Buckethead song: 'Soothsayer'

And an example of Stanley Jordan's unique style. This song is simply beautiful and amazing.

I'm not a musician .

First guitarist I noticed: Hank Marvin (The Shadows)--saw him live once with The Shadows.

Chet Atkins ,from 1966 onwards. If you haven't heard of him,listen to Tommy Emmanuel.

Eric Clapton

Jimmi Hendrix

early 70's: Andre Segovia, Paco Pena

Only recently discovered Django Rheinhardt
- Paco de Lucia

- Arjen A. Lucassen (Ayreon, Vengeance, Stream Of Passion etc.), one of the best songwriters in my opinion when it comes to Ayreon, which I'm most familiar with. He's a multi-instrumentalist and singer but he's also a pretty damn good guitarist.

All guitars except for the solo in the following song are, to my knowledge, played by Arjen Lucassen while Michael Romeo plays the solo. Russell Allen (Symphony X) is lead singer.
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
Danny Gatton, hands down. Check him out on YouTube - try the Sleepwalk Solo (I can't post links yet.) I used to go hear him play several nights a week here in the Washington/Maryland area, and youtube can't possibly capture the experience of just listening to him play night after night. I miss him.

I also like Django.
White.* The blank page.* The challenge:* Bring order to the whole - through design, composition, tone, form, symmetry, balance, light...and Harmony...
Paul the Human Wrote:and most of all, Blues.
Dammit, Paul, I knew there was reason I liked you. Tongue I'm not really in the know when it comes to guitarists or specific guitar players, but my favorite genres of music usually do include uitar. Among them are Rock, Rock N' Roll, Punk-Rock, Folk, and Blues. Big Grin
George Formby of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM

Big Grin
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
George Harrison Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3479 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  Your favorite tv shows NOW vs. your favorite tv shows of all time Casca 14 1730 January 15, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Any Guitarists Here? Mechaghostman2 13 1506 December 3, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist