Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Bible Study
Christian Bible Study
Hello all,

Last night I went to a Christian bible study. I AM CONVERTED. Just kidding of course, it actually only served to reinforce my feeling Christians are a bit silly. However, it was a lot of fun and I'm definitely going back next week, as it was certainly a learning experience. I didn't really push too hard on any one subject, because the attendees are good friends of mine, but two questions I really tried to get an answer for. First was the old "are the unconverted who've never heard of Jesus (for example, North American Natives, circa 1000 BC) going to hell" question. Surprisingly, the leader of the group wriggled a bit but eventually plainly said, according to the bible, yes. This was of course with the caveat that God will be the final judge. The second issue I brought up was the one of womens' rights. If, I asked, the bible is the inspired word of god then why were women treated like chattel in biblical times? The stock answer was of course brought up, "Well you have to remember the times they were in." I never really realized just how much of a cop out that was. Anyway, it was fun times. Thoughts?
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
RE: Christian Bible Study
It does sound fun. I think that if you are patient and can resist the urge to be converted (just kidding), you might just plant some seeds. Go gently. You don't want to frighten them off.
It sounds BORING!
Tiger
But i have never been the social type of person...
Devil
I have a secret and it is down below!

That does sound like fun, I enjoy mythology and the like.

Can we give you questions to ask next time?
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
What does "the times they were in" have anything to do with treating women like property? Why would this EVER be okay? This is the same answer I get when I ask about "God" allowing slavery. What kind of "loving and just" deity would EVER say that it's okay to keep your fellow human beings in bondage? This is just absolute proof that the Babble was written by ignorant goat herders and not some loving god.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7447 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4465 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2123 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4402 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4451 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study Gooders1002 7 3311 July 29, 2013 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  Christian scholars: 1 man, 1 woman isn't the Bible's only marriage view little_monkey 5 3674 June 4, 2013 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Big Surprise: Sex And Alcohol Make You Happier Than Kids And Religion, Study Finds Gooders1002 2 2894 May 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Religion vs Science study help MikeW 10 3625 March 17, 2011 at 6:20 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New study finds atheists/agnostics "the most knowledgeable" about religion. theVOID 45 17417 October 1, 2010 at 4:18 am
Last Post: fr0d0