Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New study finds atheists/agnostics "the most knowledgeable" about religion.
New study finds atheists/agnostics "the most knowledgeable" about religion.
No surprises here:

"The survey is full of surprising findings.

For example, it's not evangelicals or Catholics who did best - it's atheists and agnostics.

It's not Bible-belt Southerners who scored highest - they came at the bottom.

Those who believe the Bible is the literal word of God did slightly worse than average, while those who say it is not the word of God scored slightly better.

Barely half of all Catholics know that when they take communion, the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ, according to Catholic doctrine.

And only about one in three know that a public school teacher is allowed to teach a comparative religion class - although nine out of 10 know that teacher isn't allowed by the Supreme Court to lead a class in prayer.

The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life is behind the 32-question quiz, polling more than 3,400 Americans by telephone to gauge the depth of the country's religious knowledge."

Source:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/28...udy-finds/
RE: New study finds atheists/agnostics "the most knowledgeable" about religion.
No surprises here.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
This explains the persistence of religion. If they knew how stupid their beliefs were, they'd all become atheists straight away.

Or maybe not.

But it still makes sense that they don't know about transubstantiation, because, even for Catholicism, that's pretty hard to swallow. Just like other fluids that the priests are in charge of.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
As others have said, no surprise.

The most common deconversion story I've heard is "I started to read the Bible to become a better Christian and that's what led me to be an atheist".

I'll never forget this Catholic girl I dated when we went to see the musical "Jesus Christ, Superstar". I had to explain to her even basic details of the life of her supposed lord and savior.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
What's the odds on most of the Christians polled were born into a family environment where questioning and research are considered second to blind faith and ignorance? Religion dosen't do to well when its questioned, if we could break the cycle of children being indoctrinated by parents who themselves were indoctrinated as children it would be only a short matter of time before religion was completely obsolete. A guy can dream.
How about we just don't decide for the children and when they get to an age where they question we leave it up to them, teach them to think on their own, and constantly question everything. Ignorance is a human condition not a religious one. I got 10/10 on the lame cnn quiz, but I'm not agnostic according to the definition within the quiz.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Of course, we're the smartest. Christians are the garbage heap of the world.
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
(September 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm)tackattack Wrote: How about we just don't decide for the children and when they get to an age where they question we leave it up to them, teach them to think on their own, and constantly question everything. Ignorance is a human condition not a religious one. I got 10/10 on the lame cnn quiz, but I'm not agnostic according to the definition within the quiz.

Thats what I think you will find most atheists agree with. Religious folks however have a nice attitude of ignorance that they pass on to children. How would a child learn to question and learn for itself when it gets told religion knows all the answers? Religious schools should not be allowed, and certainly shouldn't be state funded. Secular education, showing all sides of religion (including the bad) and then letting the child decide should be the way forwards.
Quote:Sixty percent of Americans can't name five of the Ten Commandments, an

Snicker....snicker!
The reason why there are so many religious people is because they don't actually READ the bible. They don't know what kind of car is under the "sheet." (Look up the video "Christianity doesn't crank," by TruthSurge.)

(Oh heck, I'll just post it. This forum's auto-converter keeps making the link a video when I want it to just be a link.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WTfY7Dbx0pg

If people actually read the bible, they'd be appalled by what they read. They'd also think it's ridiculous. This is the majority, however. There are a lot of religious people who read the bible, fully comprehend it, and stick with it. Those are the people I appreciate. (Unless they're TO THE EXTREME.)

A lot of people are brought up with the religion, so it becomes a part of them. Usually it's the Atheist/Agnostics who want to learn about the religion, and don't buy into it because they're reading and learning all of the parts that are ignored / not taught by the religious folks.
I like the way you think!
...But please stop thinking, it's not you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7569 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  My new religion: New Age Hedonism Transcended Dimensions 20 4518 October 2, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  How to start a new sect/new religion for dummies. Brian37 28 4135 April 11, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22202 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4505 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10736 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2139 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7313 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Eureka! Hubble Space TTelescope Finds Heaven Rhondazvous 56 10130 January 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion? Delicate 860 138231 January 19, 2016 at 12:03 am
Last Post: IATIA