Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scepticism and religion
Scepticism and religion
I made a video about my thoughts on scepticism in everyday life, and how it relates to religion. I don't get onto the religion part for a little bit, because I wanted to properly introduce the subject and why it is important first. I also cover how it relates to evolution, from my point of view. It's in two parts as it's a little long. I put it in the religion section as I want theists to watch it, and it's the most important part of my message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX7mdUh9yUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOrP9nb-yrk
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Scepticism and religion
Excellent sir. Clap   Look forward to the next video.

Also, I've subscribed to your channel.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Excellent job my friend. Too bad, that those who actually need to hear this, won’t, but thanks for taking the time to do this.

Watch out for dem ghosts and dem garage dwellin' dragons. They’ll get ya!  Big Grin
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Thanks very much my friends! I appreciate the feedback a lot Heart

If there's any suggestions regarding my style, or whatever, I'm open to constructive criticism. I'm aware my production values are shit, I just have an iPad. Maybe I could use my laptop to improve the videos one day, not sure if I have the software. The mic on it is shit sadly.

And feel free to request other topics for me to talk about, relating to atheism/theism, or anything else!

Yay a subscriber! I think that puts me up to 2 now Big Grin
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Excellent vids, it's apparent that you've put a great deal of thought into it. Plus effort, making vids is more effort than I'm willing to put forth.

I've got an additional tool in my skeptic toolbox and that is questioning motive. Why are you telling this? Why are you asking that question? But that's just me (maybe a little paranoid) and not necessarily a good thing.

I do believe in some absolute certainties, mainly to do with science. That may not be germane to your presentation.

Nice effect with the heavenly light behind and above you (hilk, hilk, just poking fun). Only suggestion is that you put the camera at eye level.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'd say that the angle of the camera should be more on the level with your head. I don't think that's a great angle to be shooting videos like this. That's about the only thing I could think of, as far as criticisms are concerned. (Just my opinion)

I thought the same thing mh.brewer, about absolute certainty. However, I'd say if absolute certainty was possible, I'd say it would be in mathmatics, and not science. I haven't dove into the absolute certainty realm of discussion much though. I'd say 1+1=2, would you consider that absolute certainty? I think more truth lies in mathmatics, than anything else.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Thanks for the feedback Smile

Yeah, I didn't put a lot of thought into angling it, I'll try and improve that next time. I was just lying on the bed where I happened to be.

Absolute certainty, well... it's always conditional at best, as far as I can see. We can get much closer to certainty in the abstract, such as with mathematics. But even then, were relying on the fact that we're not hallucinating or dreaming. And relying on the fact that we properly understand logic, and so on. In other words we have to assume our brains are working properly, and that other people aren't just figments of our imagination reinforcing a delusion.

For practical purposes, we simply make pragmatic assumptions. I assume my brain is working fairly well. I assume other people are real. I assume our collective understanding of basic logic is correct. From there, I can say with "absolute certainty" that 1+1=2. I can say lots of other abstract things are certain. But I still can't say anything for certain about the physical world, because there is always the chance we've somehow got everything wrong, or that the laws of reality might suddenly change etc.

It's not particularly useful in a practical sense to question the certainty of the abstract based on what seems like inevitable logic, nor to worry that all our science about reality could be wrong due to some bizarre cosmic coincidence. I think it's healthy however to acknowledge these factors, to keep us on our toes and for honest full disclosure.

Index of my best videos
I subscribed Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Yay, thanks! Smile

I'll give some thought as to my next vid.

Index of my best videos
I agree, it does seem to be difficult to claim absolute certainty on anything. We have theories that can be tested, repeated, and we can try to prove them false. If, we can't, we call them facts. In the #1 spot of truths, I'd say, we'd have mathmatics in first place very easily, then science in second. I'd like to talk more on this ,but my phone is pissing me off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10713 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19809 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49297 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused