Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God Is Like Jigsaw/Borg
God Is Like Jigsaw/Borg
Jigsaw is a fictional villain from the Saw movies. He picks people who he has decided do not have the right appreciation of life. He creates horrible scenarios for them where they have to prove that they want to live. These scenarios involve deadly tests for the victims to figure out. Not figuring a way out of his traps usually involve death which is similar to how god tests humans except instead of death, humans get hell

Almost every theists on this site describe a god that sounds a lot like Jigsaw.  The only difference is that Jigsaw didn't expect his victims to love him.

In Star Trek, the Borg were a race that wanted to absorb other people into their group. It didn't matter if the other people wanted to be part of them or not. The Borg were relentless much like some evangelists are today. Christians used to be willing to go to war or destroy anyone who weren't part of whichever Christian sect that the attackers believed was true. Islam seems to have the same desire to assimilate everyone into their religion too. Modern theists often create fear in their potential followers so that they can  assimilate newcomers(hell, sin etc). The Borg saying,  "Resistance is futile" sounds similar to the reasoning used in Pascal's Wager

Are there any other fictional works that you believe have similarities to some of the concepts in religion?
RE: God Is Like Jigsaw/Borg
Quote:Are there any other fictional works that you believe have similarities to some of the concepts in religion?

The Bible.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) is a harsh rip on religion as a means of control.

Apparently Nicole Kidman who starred in it is Christian or something but failed to notice the satire.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Similarity to the borg shouldn't surprise you.  The enterprise of religion has, for some time, been the enterprise of relinquishing one's self to a greater, ineffible "x".  It's not that bad of an idea, until it rises to the level of a fetish......which is a pretty good working description of religion as it relates to self and the "greater x".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma...rehendGood

This is the basic defense when people say yahweh is evil. We're just so evil, we can only see him as evil.

Yes Yahweh is a psycho. Anyone who demands worship on pain of torture is going to look like a psycho to anyone who doesn't already follow him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 19, 2015 at 10:40 am)robvalue Wrote: The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) is a harsh rip on religion as a means of control.

Apparently Nicole Kidman who starred in it is Christian or something but failed to notice the satire.

She's a Catholic and she sure got a lot of hate off groups like the Catholic League for it.

As for other examples, the one that always stuck with me was Yu Yevon from the Final Fantasy series. Kind of a long story but Yu Yevon was a king in the pre-historic past who invented a religion that would allow him to essentially control the world and make people reshape it as he wished.

What really caught my attention with this story though was Yevon explicitly forbade science, knowing that if people ever got too educated they'd eventually see through his cult and might even invent a plan to destroy him. Eventually someone did, but not before millions and millions of people died willingly or unwillingly for the Yevonite faith and had devoted their entire lived to preaching about and pandering to his every desire.

Really, the way the Yevonite faith is set up in the story with a single theocratic ruler and a savior (Yu Yevon) promising salvation for obedience it makes an eerily close analogy to several real religions, especially the Catholic Church. I was told the religion was inspired by Tibetan Buddhism but it does have some points of universal comparison. The game designers even went into such detail as to include practices like prayer rituals, and create side stories for people to discover how they were invented and what inspired them. The Yevonite opening prayer (bowing with cupped hands) for instance is later discovered to have been copied from a gesture crowds used to do at this worlds version of ancient soccer matches, and Yu Yevon copied the one done by his favorite team. So in a cruel bit of irony every time someone prayed to Yevon, they were doing a salute to Yevon's favorite sports team.

The most compelling line for me actually was in a description of the religion near the end of the game. "Nobody knows when Yevonism truly began, it probably even began with a good aim to bring about a better world and peace, but in efforts to justify its importance and gain power by any means it turned very, very bad. There's no point asking what inspired it, or if it's still working towards its initial goal. The time for those questions has long since passed, all that matters is stopping it".

It sure was creative, I must say http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yevon
(July 19, 2015 at 9:28 am)Nope Wrote: Jigsaw is a fictional villain from the Saw movies. He picks people who he has decided do not have the right appreciation of life. He creates horrible scenarios for them where they have to prove that they want to live. These scenarios involve deadly tests for the victims to figure out. Not figuring a way out of his traps usually involve death which is similar to how god tests humans except instead of death, humans get hell

Almost every theists on this site describe a god that sounds a lot like Jigsaw.  The only difference is that Jigsaw didn't expect his victims to love him.

In Star Trek, the Borg were a race that wanted to absorb other people into their group. It didn't matter if the other people wanted to be part of them or not. The Borg were relentless much like some evangelists are today. Christians used to be willing to go to war or destroy anyone who weren't part of whichever Christian sect that the attackers believed was true. Islam seems to have the same desire to assimilate everyone into their religion too. Modern theists often create fear in their potential followers so that they can  assimilate newcomers(hell, sin etc). The Borg saying,  "Resistance is futile" sounds similar to the reasoning used in Pascal's Wager

Are there any other fictional works that you believe have similarities to some of the concepts in religion?

For most of them their idea of a god is worse than saw, and the movie was very cool, well at least the first one. The others meh.

(July 19, 2015 at 2:25 pm)Metis Wrote:
(July 19, 2015 at 10:40 am)robvalue Wrote: The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) is a harsh rip on religion as a means of control.

She's a Catholic and she sure got a lot of hate off groups like the Catholic League for it.

As for other examples, the one that always stuck with me was Yu Yevon from the Final Fantasy series. Kind of a long story but Yu Yevon was a king in the pre-historic past who invented a religion that would allow him to essentially control the world and make people reshape it as he wished.

What really caught my attention with this story though was Yevon explicitly forbade science, knowing that if people ever got too educated they'd eventually see through his cult and might even invent a plan to destroy him. Eventually someone did, but not before millions and millions of people died willingly or unwillingly for the Yevonite faith and had devoted their entire lived to preaching about and pandering to his every desire.

Really, the way the Yevonite faith is set up in the story with a single theocratic ruler and a savior (Yu Yevon) promising salvation for obedience it makes an eerily close analogy to several real religions, especially the Catholic Church. I was told the religion was inspired by Tibetan Buddhism but it does have some points of universal comparison. The game designers even went into such detail as to include practices like prayer rituals, and create side stories for people to discover how they were invented and what inspired them. The Yevonite opening prayer (bowing with cupped hands) for instance is later discovered to have been copied from a gesture crowds used to do at this worlds version of ancient soccer matches, and Yu Yevon copied the one done by his favorite team. So in a cruel bit of irony every time someone prayed to Yevon, they were doing a salute to Yevon's favorite sports team.

The most compelling line for me actually was in a description of the religion near the end of the game. "Nobody knows when Yevonism truly began, it probably even began with a good aim to bring about a better world and peace, but in efforts to justify its importance and gain power by any means it turned very, very bad. There's no point asking what inspired it, or if it's still working towards its initial goal. The time for those questions has long since passed, all that matters is stopping it".

It sure was creative, I must say http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yevon

Yeah, FFX was really underrated on that front.  I hold it as one of the top three Final Fantasy games (VI, VII, X in no particular order).

Have you ever played Xenogears?  It has two churches:

The Holy Nisan Sect
The Ethos

They're both ostensibly Catholic.  Their garb, their titles, etc. reflect Catholicism.  They both seem to represent the popular take on religion.

Nisan: by far the smaller sect.  They are very clearly the positive side.  They provide succor for refugees, attempt to rediscover and maintain their area's history, and respect and help those that aren't believers in their faith.  They don't proselytize, and only speak about/explain their beliefs when asked.  And they never, ever threaten anyone with eternal damnation for having different beliefs.  Everything Catholics would point to as positive PR, Nisan is.  Their symbol is a pair of one-winged angels - one male, one female - with the idea that it's only by lifting each other up that they can fly to heaven.  LGBT snubbing aside, it's a decent sentiment.

Ethos: world-spanning.  They're in control of most of the world's science, and are among the only ones who can repair and maintain gears, the giant mechs of a previous age.  They intentionally withhold knowledge, especially scientific knowledge, to keep the masses under control.  They have enormous wealth, yet do little to help the people.  Even what few community services they run, like orphanages, have ulterior motives attached to them.  But, they manage to keep PR on their side for most of the game because they're in a position of power (gear services), keep most of their assholery on the down low, and, well, they've been an established religion for nearly 500 years.  They have inertia that's hard to stop.

It's on-the-nose to be sure, but it's presented very well.

Of course, the thing most people refer to as god in that game is actually a sentient biological weapon of immense power that crashed on the planet after destroying the ship that was transporting it....  Oh Japan, never change.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

For some weird reason, I have never read the Golden Compass even though I love fantasy and science fiction. I will have to read it.
Yeah, it's a great read Smile The books are better than the film in my opinion, so far anyway. (It's a trilogy.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is Kim Jong-un just like God. ignoramus 3 1590 July 11, 2017 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  I will be praying to god for a girlfriend like this Tarasoft11 31 4757 September 11, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Losty
  God is like a...... Brian37 13 2225 January 4, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What Would the World b Like if You were God Rhondazvous 45 8373 August 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: ForsakenHeretic
  Does God know what hell feels like? Psychonaut 20 6231 August 16, 2015 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19146 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Why is God treated like a retarded and selfish child? gilbertc06 80 19539 October 11, 2013 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Revelation 21 (God is a borg) bladevalant546 7 2559 September 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy