Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elegant universe(the book)
Elegant universe(the book)
I have just started reading Brian Greenes "The Elegant Universe"

One part in particular I thought incorrect was his explanation of the time dilation effect in Relativity.

On page 38 he introduces the reader to a clock which consists of two mirrors facing each other.

A photon is then bounced between them in order to achieve the time intervals necessary.

A second, similar clock which is moving is then compared and the claim is made that the second clock is

recording a slower time because the timing photon has to travel further to complete its journey between

the plates.(Because it has to travel diagonally). Therefore Time has slowed down for the second clock.

He then adds a normal clock(rolex) to the moving photon clock and makes the astonishing claim that

the rolex mustslow down in order to avoid discrepancies between it and the photon clock.

I consider this to be wrong for several reasons and it does put me off reading the rest of the book.

Has anyone else read this book and what do they think?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
RE: Elegant universe(the book)
I've not read it yet although it sits on my bookshelf, but, what are these reasons?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
@ Darwinian

Read the book from P38 then we can compare impressions.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
It's a deal...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
In reality the rolex would not speed up or slow down, but the time that it takes for the rolex to move would, it is a matter of the frame of reference from which it is percieved: If the viewer of the moving photon clock were moving with it, the photon would not be moving diagonally from that frame of reference, and from that perception time would not have slown.

In the book, this is a precursor to the idea that the speed of light is constant relative to the observer (the speed of light changes depending on how fast the observer travels, so the speed of light is really the speed of light plus the observer speed.)
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 15599 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 4932 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1149 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 397 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2383 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1838 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6166 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3820 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5890 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2426 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer