Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
So I stopped believing in God about 4 years ago and still pretending to be a christian when at home. I honestly don't believe I have it in me to become a christian again, too many logical fallacies, inconsistencies and contradictions. But I do believe there may be someone/something up there that started all this off.

Does atheism fall under that or is there another name for it? (For the record I don't believe this being is still involved with us or is probably just watching on a cinema screen type of thing eating popcorn)
RE: Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
What proof of this 'entity' are you going to provide to us ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

That is a belief in a generic, non-personal god and goes by the label Deism. Pantheism is somewhat related also. Google them.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 7, 2015 at 11:21 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: What proof of this 'entity' are you going to provide to us ??
I don't actually have any proof that this exists. However, you don't have any proof it doesn't either.

(August 7, 2015 at 11:22 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: That is a belief in a generic, non-personal god and goes by the label Deism. Pantheism is somewhat related also. Google them.
I've heard of that, I doubt I'm pantheistic but perhaps a deist. What's the difference between a deist and a theist?
Why would you believe that whatever set off the universe is a thinking being rather than a physical process?
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(August 7, 2015 at 11:26 pm)vixene Wrote:
(August 7, 2015 at 11:21 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: What proof of this 'entity' are you going to provide to us ??
I don't actually have any proof that this exists. However, you don't have any proof it doesn't either.

(August 7, 2015 at 11:22 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: That is a belief in a generic, non-personal god and goes by the label Deism. Pantheism is somewhat related also. Google them.
I've heard of that, I doubt I'm pantheistic but perhaps a deist. What's the difference between a deist and a theist?

YOU'RE the one making a claim, YOU have to provide proof.  I don't have to prove anything.  If you got nothing, just say so.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 7, 2015 at 11:34 pm)JuliaL Wrote: Why would you believe that whatever set off the universe is a thinking being rather than a physical process?
It could be either or tbh, not really bothered by what it actually is. Just wondering whether it's reasonable to believe in it and if I'm still classified as an atheist.

(August 7, 2015 at 11:35 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(August 7, 2015 at 11:26 pm)vixene Wrote: I don't actually have any proof that this exists. However, you don't have any proof it doesn't either.

YOU'RE the one making a claim, YOU have to provide proof.  I don't have to prove anything.  If you got nothing, just say so.
Erm...I didn't make any claims, I just asked a question. This isn't a debate on whether a higher being exists.

So am I an atheist or not?
Empty universes, it turns out, are unstable and decay into universes that are not empty.

I'm sparing you about 1/9 of wikipedia with that simplification. No sign of God required to jumpstart things, just sit around and wait.

(August 7, 2015 at 11:39 pm)vixene Wrote:
(August 7, 2015 at 11:34 pm)JuliaL Wrote: Why would you believe that whatever set off the universe is a thinking being rather than a physical process?
It could be either or tbh, not really bothered by what it actually is. Just wondering whether it's reasonable to believe in it and if I'm still classified as an atheist.

(August 7, 2015 at 11:35 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: YOU'RE the one making a claim, YOU have to provide proof.  I don't have to prove anything.  If you got nothing, just say so.
Erm...I didn't make any claims, I just asked a question. This isn't a debate on whether a higher being exists.

No.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 7, 2015 at 11:49 pm)c172 Wrote:
(August 7, 2015 at 11:39 pm)vixene Wrote: It could be either or tbh, not really bothered by what it actually is. Just wondering whether it's reasonable to believe in it and if I'm still classified as an atheist.

No.
Thank you. I guess I don't fit in on this forum then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35348 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1457 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30194 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6819 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The myth of atheist core believe. The Lion Roar 102 18131 June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8640 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6631 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5532 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7806 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7035 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy