Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lignite strip mining protests
Lignite strip mining protests
We've talked about the mind-boggling Excavator 288 which is in use at the Garzweiler strip mine a stone's throw from where I live. Well, now some people decided to party like it's 1985!
Down with the CO2! Yeah...

[Image: demo-garzweiler-102_v-ARDFotogalerie.jpg]

http://www1.wdr.de/themen/archiv/sp_brau...p-120.html
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Lignite strip mining protests
Provide synopsis translation please. You'd think with Brewer as a last name I'd be a better german, but sadly not.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
What sort of Panzer is that?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(August 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: What sort of Panzer is that?

These things eat Panzers for breakfast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagger_288

[Image: Bagger-garzweiler.jpg]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Suuure. Whatever. One question, K. DOES IT EAT SHOES?

I think NOT!
You should retrain your police a bit.  They are straying a little bit toward American police practices, and you don't want that.  Here is a Google translated bit:

Quote:Alliance criticized police violence

Martin Weis, spokesman for the protest alliance "end area", had the "gruff" criticized police operation in Garzweiler on Saturday. The demonstrators had only "practiced civil disobedience", while police have used pepper spray and batons. One journalist was injured. Activists have been rounded up. According to Weis were 1,500 protesters on site. On Sunday the protests in Garzweiler should continue. The protest camp will continue until Monday (17/08/2015). The Alliance wants to demonstrate with the protests against the climate-damaging lignite. Before the world climate summit in December in Paris the pressure on politicians to be increased, in view of climate change more switch to renewable energy.

Here is a link for an automatic Google translation:

https://translate.google.com/translate?h...p-120.html

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Sooooo, do the protesters have an alternative for power generation that they can support?
Well, already 25% or so of German electricity are renewable, and there is still potential. No, we can't simply switch off all lignite plants (which are worse than coal) and most renewable has a problematic variability, but we're working on it. If you asked me we shouldn't have exited from nuclear as hastily after fukushima.

I'm good with that. Every country needs to be moving in that direction. I agree theat the early exit from nuke power was probably a mistake. I remember reading an article (I think in Discovery or Omni) that promoted smaller nuke generators (don't remember the specifics on size) because they would be less expensive to build/operate and the design had a lower catastrophic failure potential.
Huh?

The protest isn't in China? WTF . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Protests against Netanyahu's Actions in Gaza Leonardo17 14 344 April 9, 2024 at 5:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3379 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Protests in Belgrade FlatAssembler 3 291 July 16, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Protests in Zagreb FlatAssembler 32 1347 December 3, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Yellow Vest protests masked by a terrorist attack WinterHold 7 1352 December 14, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  WSJ Demands GOP Leadership Strip the WLB of Tarriff Powers Minimalist 6 647 June 9, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Jackbooted Thuggery As Protests Turn Violent At NYU A Theist 29 4547 February 4, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Latin America - protests against misogyny and sexual violence Regina 2 1486 October 21, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Central council of muslims in Germany organizes protests against Paris terror attack Alex K 5 1669 January 14, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Peaceful protests should not be squashed Chad32 3 1207 May 11, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet