Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protests in Belgrade
Protests in Belgrade
So, what do you guys here think, are there indeed massive protests in Belgrade going on right now, as Guardian says? I live in Osijek, around 150 km from Belgrade, and I haven't heard anything of it until now. And I speak Serbo-Croatian, but I can't find any mention of it in the local news.

Also, what do you think the name "Belgrade" means? Does the "bel" part indeed come from Serbo-Croatian for "white"? Or is it more likely related to "pel" in Pelmonostor (Hungarian name for Beli Manastir), probably an Illyrian word for hill?
RE: Protests in Belgrade
(July 10, 2020 at 7:37 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: So, what do you guys here think, are there indeed massive protests in Belgrade going on right now, as Guardian says? I live in Osijek, around 150 km from Belgrade, and I haven't heard anything of it until now. And I speak Serbo-Croatian, but I can't find any mention of it in the local news.

Also, what do you think the name "Belgrade" means? Does the "bel" part indeed come from Serbo-Croatian for "white"? Or is it more likely related to "pel" in Pelmonostor (Hungarian name for Beli Manastir), probably an Illyrian word for hill?

A search for 'Belgrade protests' turns up stories from dozens of different media outlets, so I'm inclined to believe it.

I suspect the origin of the name is ultimately Latin, with the 'Bel' element being a variant of 'Alba' (Latin for 'white') since the first recorded instance of the name is 'Belograda'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:A search for 'Belgrade protests' turns up stories from dozens of different media outlets, so I'm inclined to believe it.
Well, the western media is just copying from one another, and they have a bias to talk about how great USA is and how bad other countries are. The fact that there appears to be no mention of the protests in the local news strongly suggests they aren't actually happening, right? The only thing written in Serbo-Croatian I've found about it is the BBC article written in Serbo-Croatian. It's less reliable than local news are, right?
BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:I suspect the origin of the name is ultimately Latin, with the 'Bel' element being a variant of 'Alba' (Latin for 'white') since the first recorded instance of the name is 'Belograda'.
Why would there be a metathesis from l-b to b-l? "Alba", borrowed into Old Serbo-Croatian, would give something like "Lab" in modern Serbo-Croatian (compare the ancient name for Labin, "Albona"~"Alvona").
So, am I understanding correctly: the protesters want the lockdown to end sooner?

If so, then I think that's awful. Lockdowns should go on for longer.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Protests against Netanyahu's Actions in Gaza Leonardo17 14 450 April 9, 2024 at 5:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mass shooting in the middle school Vladislav Ribnikar in Belgrade FlatAssembler 764 27006 July 18, 2023 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3449 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Protests in Zagreb FlatAssembler 32 1359 December 3, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Yellow Vest protests masked by a terrorist attack WinterHold 7 1366 December 14, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  More Jackbooted Thuggery As Protests Turn Violent At NYU A Theist 29 4555 February 4, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Latin America - protests against misogyny and sexual violence Regina 2 1488 October 21, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Lignite strip mining protests Alex K 12 1861 August 17, 2015 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Central council of muslims in Germany organizes protests against Paris terror attack Alex K 5 1672 January 14, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Peaceful protests should not be squashed Chad32 3 1211 May 11, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet