Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Supernatural?
What is Supernatural?
What do you think is supernatural? 
Why do you think it is supernatural?
RE: What is Supernatural?
Google says the definition of supernatural is:

[Image: Capture.jpg]

So it says supernatural is attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
Objectively speaking,everything can be scientifically explained.
Subjectively speaking,everything cannot be scientifically explained.

I'm going to go with the latter since humans are not *God* and we cannot view the universe as some *outside* viewer.
So,am i not supernatural to ants? Because ants cannot explain me scientifically? 

Then arises a new question,about science specifically.
Objectively speaking,it's almost true that science can explain everything.(I went with almost true because i'm open to the possibility that our subjects may has some faults)
But can our science explain everything? The answer is a big No. 
Can ant's science explain humans? The answer would be a no.
Can Human's science explain themselves? The answer would be only up to a certain extent,but we are improving and we are learning,we are just no there yet.

I've had Aristocatt argue that if a plane were to fly on earth hundreds or thousands of years ago that wouldn't count as supernatural.
And he is right,objectively speaking.Nothing is supernatural is the universe is viewed from the point of view of an outside viewer or some *God*.But we aren't that outside viewer are we?

So what is Supernatural? Is the definition that Google provided me faulty? If it is not,doesn't that mean that everything is technically supernatural? I'm really confused.I hope someone can clear this for me.
Magic fairy foo foo jesus dust with extra sprinkles is the answer you are looking for
Bullshit.
(September 2, 2015 at 10:35 am)Minimalist Wrote: Bullshit.

In so many words.
It's not a well defined concept because the laws of nature and scientific understanding change. It would be a phenomenon which by definition can never be characterized by an understanding of any kind. I'm not sure that's a definition compatible with the concept of existence.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 2, 2015 at 10:39 am)Alex K Wrote: It's not a well defined concept because the laws of nature and scientific understanding change. It would be a phenomenon which by definition can never be characterized by an understanding of any kind. I'm not sure that's a definition compatible with the concept of existence.

^^^this

The 'supernatural' is basically 'anything magic'. I'm an asupernaturalist.
Sum ergo sum
My daughter's favorite television show.
To claim there is "some force beyond scientific understanding" seems kind of a moot point. Since science isn't magic so there are bound to be gaps in our knowledge of reality due to limitations in methods, information, time, resources, and the human mind. Not really the conclusion supernaturalists want to hear.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(September 2, 2015 at 11:14 am)Divinity Wrote: My daughter's favorite television show.

She needs to start watching person of interest.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16325 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Supernatural isn't a useful concept Rhizomorph13 85 11567 November 12, 2016 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2062 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural' ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2119 March 22, 2016 at 4:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New suppositions about God and the supernatural entities A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 30 10980 January 20, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c
  One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural. Mystic 59 15779 July 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Open challenge regarding the supernatural robvalue 38 6044 May 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  If a supernatural event occurred, how would you tell? Tea Earl Grey Hot 24 9739 August 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  An Argument Against Supernatural Causation Caecilian 32 18403 July 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One