Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Censorship is alive and well!
Censorship is alive and well!
Greetings everyone,
I have written a book called {snip}. Its intent is to give an alternative origin to the Biblical story of Adam and Eve; an origin which proposes that the first human couple could have emerged though Natural Selection and that would present the Creation myth of the Old Testament in an entirely different light.
Naturally I could find neither an agent, nor a publisher to take it on. As I was left only with the option of self-publishing I published it on Amazon’s Kindle. If anyone is interested, please look it up.
Since it has not been doing very well these past few days, I decided to spend some money and advertise it through Amazon’s own web pages and its E-readers.
Here’s where it gets interesting. Even though they approved my ad for their web pages, it was rejected for the E-readers, and I quote (by pasting):
“Unfortunately, your ad campaign has not been approved to run on Kindle E-readers for the following reason: Your book addresses Christianity.”
What?
Yes, granted my book is anti-religious. But it treats all religions equally. My principle argument (for those willing to understand it) is that all religions are equally harmful for humankind. In fact, if you search the book for the word “Christian” it only comes up twice, and in the Epilogue no less.
Just so you are aware of all the facts, this is the text that was supposed to accompany the E-readers’ ad:
Two hundred thousand years before today, the very first modern man, Omo, is on a mission to find his real parents.
After being ridiculed all his life—for looking very different from everyone else—and following a series of tragic events, Omo decides to abandon his Clan. However, his northern Ethiopian trek is beset with hardships, not least of which is his near starvation. But he overcomes them all with ingenuity and with a little assistance from Ava, the love of his life.
The couple now continues the journey together and Omo is finally able to find his father. Enolo lives near a lush paradise, called the Garden, but he is not who Omo expected him to be. On the contrary, Enolo holds dark and terrible secrets.
Through also a variety of myths, stories, and dreams, Omo’s tale shows us how much it has influenced the Jewish, Greek, and Babylonian cultures that were to appear millennia later. At the same time, it also illustrates how his personal growth would eventually give us the basic tenets of what constitute humanity today.”
I am simply stumped as to what they found offensive and would be glad for your input.
Bye for now,
Andreas

Moderator Notice
I snipped the name of your book due to our "no advertising" rule. Please read and familiarize yourself with the rules.
RE: Censorship is alive and well!
Quote:But it treats all religions equally.

The jesus freaks hate that, man. They think they are special.
Ugh, that font.

[Image: Disgust-Disgusted-Euw-Eww-No-No-way.gif]
Is this not something you could take to a lawyer? If that reason is cited then it should be a good case.
Obivous copypasta bot is obvious.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Am I to understand that no ads whatsoever may be addressed to Kindle e-readers if the subject is Christianity, or is the issue that your book runs afoul of orthodox views?
I just googled Amazon's Kindle and ereader ad policy.  It's aim is not to offend, and list of offensive things reads like a Miss Manner's piece on what not to talk about at dinner with the boss and his kids:
Quote:3. Restricted Ad Content and Books
There are several customer experience sensitive categories that are not appropriate for a general audience. The following categories may be restricted from the homepage and Kindle E-reader placements:
  • Non-fiction self-help books relating to dating and relationships
  • Non-fiction books that allude to sensitive financial topics (e.g. bad credit or bankruptcy)
  • Non-fiction self-help books that refer to topics of grief, mourning, and loss
  • Books for weight loss
  • Religious or spiritual content
  • Books about political parties, issues and related content

https://advertising.amazon.com/ad-specs/...acceptance

It is religion/anti-religion neutral. It prohibits them all.

Given that their goal is not to be so offensive that people pay not to have the ads on their Kindles, I can sympathize with Amazon on this one.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The Adam & Eve story has nothing to do with humanity as a group. It's a story about the progenitors of the Jewish line that led to Jesus. In other words, it's nothing more than a family history. So your book is inaccurate from that standpoint.

BTW, no retailer is obligated to carry your merchandise. They are being nice by giving you a boiler-plate reason for rejection.
(September 10, 2015 at 12:23 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Am I to understand that no ads whatsoever may be addressed to Kindle e-readers if the subject is Christianity, or is the issue that your book runs afoul of orthodox views?

I truly wish I knew. If I were to venture a guess I would say the later.
Failure to read error discovered.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying Well Jamie Boy 34 792 April 8, 2024 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Well that was a short friendship Doubting Thomas 13 1448 January 21, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3009 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Well shit... Socratic Meth Head 22 3183 June 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  christian moderator censorship Deepthunk 82 12133 December 5, 2015 at 5:33 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  atheist as well as conspiracy theorist? Athene 15 3396 August 6, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Well... dyresand 7 3337 January 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  The most well fucked up thing. dyresand 0 815 November 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Well what happens after we die? JohnNelson98 54 9177 August 16, 2014 at 7:28 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin