Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well shit...
Well shit...
Okay, I've been getting pushed around for a while now for being an atheist.
 I'm supposedly being forced into a christian school and she said she can impose her will upon me, she is forcing me to go to church, denying me going to the doctor for something I was worried about and positing that Jesus was responsible, denying me seeing my therapist for my anxiety (coincidentally, right after I told her I was an atheist), and being told that my mom hopes that I will be miserable because I don't believe in god.
They get a pass on all that super smelly stinky bullshit...

But today, my dad wanted me to get ready to go to church. I was sick of going, it made me unhappy, and I was tired of being treated this way, I got on my golf cart and booked my ass to an undisclosed location. I Waited for them to leave for church, going back to the house after they left. Stockpiling some food for the day in my room so I didn't have to come out and see them, locking my door and going to sleep. When I awoke, my mom said I pulled a stunt this morning (Apparently choosing not to go to something that makes you unhappy is a stunt) and my dad said I'm grounded from my phone and my golf cart for the week, he also said that he would think of more stuff to ground me from, and I have to work for him from Monday till Friday this week.

The stuff I can still get on for now is my computer, xbox, and playstation. I'm sure those will be revoked later Sad

I was hoping maybe they will take me seriously, and see that I really really don't want to go to church, I should've lowered my expectations.

If I do this again next week it will be worse...

I've been lost for a few weeks with not knowing what to do about them, now after this all happened I'm sure things are gonna be getting worse.
RE: Well shit...
They sound like a couple of first class dickheads.  Sadly, you are stuck with them.

And parents wonder why kids get rebellious.
I am sorry you have to go through all this. I'd really advice you to just bear with it till you can be an independent adult.

Or you can slowly try to change their minds by feigning ignorance and asking explanations for the bible, which can get them to think. Though personally, I've had very little success with this method.

Or option 3, go to church and be that guy who gets kicked out for asking too many questions .
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 12, 2016 at 7:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And parents wonder why kids get rebellious.

With my parents I never saw reason to be rebellious. But that certainly doesn't help a minor, who has no choice but ülaying ball until he can provide for himself.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Be careful who you piss off.  Just saying...

"Son beaten to death because he wanted to leave church: police"
http://nypost.com/2015/10/16/son-beaten-...he-church/

"Mother and stepfather 'beat to death her seven-year-old son for not reading his Bible'"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...Bible.html
You're pushing back.  That exacerbates the situation.  And yes, they do have the right to tell you that you have to go to church.  I understand that you hate it and don't want to go.  But just playing along will make your life easier.  There are all sorts of ways to make an irritating, boring church service more bearable.  Daydreams and fantasies, "listening" to your favorite tunes in your head, mentally critiquing the sermon, etc.   (That could lead to some good questions to ask the parental units, you know.) It's annoying, but it is a small price to pay for a measure of peace in your house. 

If you push, expect them to keep escalating.  What is not your choice, until you are 18, is blatant defiance.  Unless you are truly ready to get a job, pay for your own apartment and phone and internet and TV and transportation and insurance.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Are your parents just now forcing you to go to church or was going to church an issue in the past as well?
I'm not sure you'll win the fight with your parents over going to church or a religious school. Your parents will likely double down on pushing you to church and if they are united in this cause, you might win the battle today but you'll likely lose the war. You could ask lots of questions after church and they might eventually just throw up their hands and say you don't have to go. You could also approach church as a type of class on why you're an atheist. I've found that often atheists know more about the bible and religion than actual religious people.

I agree with drfuzzy - toeing the line until you are an adult and able to go away to college or work and support yourself is probably going to be your best option. In the meantime, at least there are online communities like this where you can come and feel welcome. In the olden days, that type of support didn't exist.
Unfortunately, your parents can still make you go to church. What they can't do is make you believe. All you can do is go, and do something else while the sermon is going on. When you're independent, then they can't make you do anything. Rebelling now is only going to get you more trouble. I know you think you're in the right. But by acting up all you're doing is reinforcing the idea in their head that there's something 'wrong' with you. Sometimes being compliant is all you can do. How bad is the church you're going to?
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
I feel like...am I the only one who keeps thinking fancy drinks??

Seriously, you have a fucking golf cart. Your golf cart. Really.

I'm not completely unsympathetic really I'm not. But just suck it up and go to church. It's boring and you don't like it but it doesn't hurt you. Your parents have all the power and you have none. It's not a good idea to piss them off. Just give them what they want and enjoy your cushy childhood while it lasts.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
He's not fancy drink.

Look, GD, your parents are your parents, and as long as you live in their house, you live be their rules. If I still lived with my parents---even at 31---and if they wanted me to go to church as part of the deal for living in their house, eating their food, using their utilities, etc---I'd have to go if I had no other choice of living arrangements. Fortunately, I do.

You are 15, and for two-three more years you're going to have to live with their rules. Your life is pretty nice---I mean you have your own PS4, XBox, and computer, plus a golf cart, plus a place to live and food to eat. I'm sure there are things that could make it better, but take what you got. Learn some perspective. They can't make you believe in their god. They just can't. If you believe that you are in medical danger or that you need to talk to your therapist, use your phone. Call 911 for the former, and you can get into contact with your therapist for the latter. You have to know their name, and if you don't know their number you can find it easily. Email if necessary. If they feel they need to report, they will.

Work on being as non-confrontational as possible. Ask questions, don't lie about believing or pretend to believe. Let them tire out on getting asked tough questions about their faith. Maybe they'll give up, probably they won't.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying Well Jamie Boy 34 588 April 8, 2024 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Well that was a short friendship Doubting Thomas 13 1442 January 21, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3001 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Enough of this shit. Time for some activism FebruaryOfReason 3 1480 March 25, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Censorship is alive and well! Andreas Economou 10 2503 September 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Andreas Economou
  atheist as well as conspiracy theorist? Athene 15 3394 August 6, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Well... dyresand 7 3331 January 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  The most well fucked up thing. dyresand 0 814 November 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Well what happens after we die? JohnNelson98 54 9174 August 16, 2014 at 7:28 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Can we have some more of this shit? Jackalope 22 3046 July 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Zidneya