Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can somebody pleease tell me HOW jesus was 'anointed'?
can somebody pleease tell me HOW jesus was 'anointed'?
the bible doesn't seem to say a thing in relation to this kinda important fact!'messiah' means anointed(ancient hebrew),christ means 'deliverer'(ancient greek). surely jesus himself abused the previous messiahs by calling himself the 'christ figure', after all who did he REALLY 'deliver'?btw,greek mythology,norse mythology etc are full of messiahs!
RE: can somebody pleease tell me HOW jesus was 'anointed'?
Some woman came up, spilled oil on him and wiped it up with her hair.

To a Jew, this would have been a mockery of the tradition of "anointing" which involved sacred oil and was reserved for the high priest and king. I'm sure by the time this little tidbit was invented the early xtians were long past caring how offended the Jews might have been.

Anyway, Matthew 26

Quote:Jesus Anointed at Bethany
6While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, 7a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

8When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. 9"This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

10Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

To tell you the truth, jesus comes across as a vain little shit in this passage.
Wouldn't the baptism that John gave him qualify as well?

Christians, help me out!
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I was going to let this go but it is another opportunity to point out a contradiction in the so-called inerrant fucking bible.

G John 12

Quote:ohn 12:1-11

1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Laz'arus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2 There they made him a supper; Martha served, and Laz'arus was one of those at table with him. 3 Mary took a pound of costly ointment of pure nard and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the ointment. 4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was to betray him), said, 5 "Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?"

So its a different guy's house and she pours the oil on his feet not his head and it is only "Judas" who objects instead of all of them.

Now we can wait for some inerrantist to twist himself into a pretzel explaining why this contradiction is not a contradiction. Thanks for the straight line, Nicky.
(May 11, 2010 at 7:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Some woman came up, spilled oil on him and wiped it up with her hair.

To a Jew, this would have been a mockery of the tradition of "anointing" which involved sacred oil and was reserved for the high priest and king. I'm sure by the time this little tidbit was invented the early xtians were long past caring how offended the Jews might have been.

Anyway, Matthew 26

Quote:Jesus Anointed at Bethany
6While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, 7a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

8When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. 9"This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

10Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

To tell you the truth, jesus comes across as a vain little shit in this passage.

to be honest(and i should know!!!)jesus WAS a vain little shit! also, i do believe that the woman was a cohort of mary of magdalin,who, in turn, was a 'resurrection' of atropis(leader of the 3 Fates from classical mythiology)!she was also a 'resurrection' of medusa(the leader of a band of priestess who wore masks(witches?)).mary's 'mate' was obviiously RIPPING the piss out of jesus' beliefs and making a 'play on words',i.e.i myself was anointed THIS century-was blinded by a bright flash of white light in early may2001! doesn't anointed also mean something like 'knighted'???
When wondering about Jewish customs it is always better to go to a Jewish source as xtians have a tendency to warp whatever the fuck they read into something they think they can use to certify their god boy.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.j...9&letter=A
Another answer is a bit simpler:

The word 'Christ' comes from the Greek Khristos, 'the anointed one'. It is usually transliterated into English as 'Messiah'

'Jesus Christ' also means 'Jesus the Messiah' and does not necessarily refer to a literal anointing.

Quote:Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (Khristós) meaning "the anointed one".[1] It is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), usually transliterated into English as Messiah.

The word is often misunderstood to be the surname of Jesus due to the numerous mentions of Jesus Christ in the Christian Bible. The word is in fact used as a title, hence its common reciprocal use Christ Jesus, meaning "Jesus The Anointed One", or "Jesus The Messiah". Followers of Jesus became known as Christians because they believed that Jesus was the Christ, or Messiah, prophesied about in the Tanakh (which Christians term the Old Testament). The majority of Jews reject this claim and are still waiting for Christ to come (see Jewish Messiah). Most Christians now wait for the Second Coming of Christ when they believe he will fulfill the rest of the Messianic prophecy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ
Except xtians tried to write in a bullshit "anointing" ceremony into their so-called gospels. Clearly they were sensitive to the problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can "Jesus is God" be compared to "Ghost in the Shell" anime Woah0 17 2088 August 20, 2022 at 3:45 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? Fake Messiah 132 13977 November 22, 2019 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1618 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1608 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 6172 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3717 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 14020 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 22434 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 3000 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Tell me... Spooky 59 15095 September 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon