Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Think This is Funny?
Do You Think This is Funny?
Someone here at AF sent this to me and I’m having a hard time figuring out just how to respond. This person is not stupid—not someone that any of us would think of as an asshole. But that makes it all the more puzzling and unexpected.

Quote:All good Rhonda... nothing to complain about! The wife never listens anyway!
The last time I asked her "what did your last slave die of", she responded: Not sure, never bothered to check? Hehe

I know the history of the country this person lives in. it’s not a history of slavery. It’s a history of extermination. His people just hunted my people down and cut up their bodies for dog food. Can you see why I’m having a hard time with this?

I don’t think race should be a taboo subject at AF. Still, how would you take what this person said to me?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Do You Think This is Funny?
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it public.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Shorn of context, I can't give you a useful answer, except to say that I try not to allow strangers to cut me, especially online.

It's only normal to feel bothered by what that person said even if you don't have a racial identity. I have a dear friend who is an Ukrainian immigrant and she absolutely hates Russia because of what happened in Ukraine - Not Russians as people, but the political system and the Russian government - One day she met this guy in college who looked slavic, and so she asked if he was Russian or something like that - He said he was Russian - She asked if he could speak Ukrainian and he replied "I'll never speak such a filthy mudblood language" - Wouldn't any person with a brain react negatively?

Full disclosure - There's a lot of jokes in Portugal about how Brazilians used to be our slaves, but no one dreams of telling that to a Brazilian because of how disrespectful it is, unless you're friends with the person or something.

If this happened to me IRS, I'd probably insult the person harshly and lose my mind. It's not something people take lightly where I live. You can insult people's football teams, and even religion or political opinions, but two things you can't insult are countries of origin and people's relatives/family.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I think it is funny... and unless the context is specifically targeting you (is it? I've no context to suggest either way): I would advise you not take it personally.

At this time, I'd take it as a humorous aside.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
It would be difficult to determine what he meant without seeing the rest of the dialogue between the two of you. I'm taking this out of context of course, but I think he could have been poking fun with the idea that husbands are "slaves" to their wives whims and/or demands, going by  this snippet alone.....with slave being an ex or ex-husband. I could be wrong, though. You should ask him.
(September 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Someone here at AF sent this to me and I’m having a hard time figuring out just how to respond. This person is not stupid—not someone that any of us would think of as an asshole. But that makes it all the more puzzling and unexpected.

Quote:All good Rhonda... nothing to complain about! The wife never listens anyway!
The last time I asked her "what did your last slave die of", she responded: Not sure, never bothered to check? Hehe

I know the history of the country this person lives in. it’s not a history of slavery. It’s a history of extermination. His people just hunted my people down and cut up their bodies for dog food. Can you see why I’m having a hard time with this?

I don’t think race should be a taboo subject at AF. Still, how would you take what this person said to me?

Race wasn't mentioned in the sentence there so I don't think it's offensive in the sense of racial involvement.
As a person who likes good comedy I'm offended, that joke is crap.  I guess you might be offended if you had any slaves in your family within recent enough generations for you to remember.

Additionally all this talk of "His people" and "My people" reminds me of a convo I had in work with some guy, he basically said my dead grandmother was probably a bitch because she was Russian and Russians killed a lot of his ancestors in some war.  I don't pay attention to that type of bullshit talk but I was in shock about him calling my dead grandmother a bitch so I told him I'm glad that my people exterminated his people and I thought it was funny.  Then he seemed a bit shocked but we still remained genuinely friendly to each other after that convo that day. 

All that I took away from that convo is that it was probably the weirdest convo I've ever had in work, I don't know I he meant to be as offensive as he was but my knee jerk reaction is to instantly be offensive back.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(September 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Someone here at AF sent this to me and I’m having a hard time figuring out just how to respond. This person is not stupid—not someone that any of us would think of as an asshole. But that makes it all the more puzzling and unexpected.

Without reading the whole PM (or whatever it was) I'd take it as a joke about husband and wife relations having nothing to do with race at all.

BUT, reading quotes from private PM's without a very good reason for making them public makes me uncomfortable.   Like racisim, it's not against the rules at AF, but it isn't nice either.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I have to say I'm really uncomfortable with quoting private messages in open forum, even without the author's identity being revealed.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 25, 2015 at 4:28 pm)Thena323 Wrote: It would be difficult to determine what he meant without seeing the rest of the dialogue between the two of you. I'm taking this out of context of course, but I think he could have been poking fun with the idea that husbands are "slaves" to their wives whims and/or demands, going by  this snippet alone.....with slave being an ex or ex-husband. I could be wrong, though. You should ask him.
That's possible. Thanks for that new perspective. I don't usually take what men say personally. but race is not personal. A racial slur is not something aimed at one person to be dealt with as an individual. Knowamsane? But if you're right, then I've still got a friend.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1713 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 960 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Unhinged movie, what you think of it? Sweden83 5 469 December 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  South Park. What you think of Cartman? Snideon 10 579 July 10, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: mediocrates
Question What do you think of this new indian spiritual guru ? Megabullshit 4 825 April 13, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Funny scenario imaginary question purplepurpose 31 2022 July 31, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Advertising "Who do you think you're fooling?" Brian37 15 1755 March 30, 2018 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Funny human rituals J a c k 43 3658 March 29, 2018 at 2:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do you think guys? purplepurpose 15 1723 January 25, 2018 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Guys, is she a bit funny in the head? ignoramus 12 2156 December 24, 2017 at 6:51 am
Last Post: GUBU