Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you handle the bigots in your life?
How do you handle the bigots in your life?
So, I'm trying to get ready to leave the house to go shopping, but I get a message from one of the women who claimed they would take over our Girl Scout Troop, as I am no longer able to do it.

She says she can't do it, because the drama between me and the co-leader during a public spat. :Sad Since neither of us will be in this troop, I don't see the problem.

And anyway, the other woman who was going to be coleader already messaged me and said she was too busy with her part time job, and she could not continue to support an organization that supported abortion (I facepalmed reading this) AND transgender and gay girls.  So...she's a bigot. 
So the truth is they are both bigoted bitches who can't be fussed to even look at facts, not that it was my fault.

Right now, I have a RANT typed up, but I have not sent it back.  I feel like telling both of these women exactly what I think of them.  They are both liars, bigots, and hypcrites.  I wish I had never met either of them, and I am sorry their children will be raised with such horrible hateful mothers.

But...I'm a Girl Scout, and I can't say that.

How do I tell them I find their views extremely disgusting, and their lies about the real reasons for being unable to continue to be distasteful, without coming off like "The Bitch"?

I am THIS CLOSE to just deleting my FB page and telling most of humanity to eff off.  People are just....I can't handle them sometimes. Sad
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: How do you handle the bigots in your life?
All I can say is think twice. Give it some cool down time and think of any possible negative ramifications.

Maybe for your daughter. Maybe for you, depending on the size of your community and social group. Don't think for a minute they won't twist your words to make you the person on the outside. Or gather a group to, if not attack, exclude you, your daughter, your family.

Sometimes the battle is not worth fighting, sometimes it is. Only you can decide. I personally have never had a battle go well when I'm still seething mad.

Good Luck.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I would not address that at all. There is basically no chance to accomplish anything by firing back at them, it can only cause more conflict and give them fuel. If someone says something like that out loud to me, I will put my hand up, tell them it's not OK to talk like that in front of me and change the topic. That is for me, though, and not for them.
I don't.

Once I learn someone is a bigot, their involvement in my life drops to zero.
I keep bigots as distant as possible.

As for your situation, a rant would only be counterproductive. Tell them that you will do it, and use the opportunity to make sure the girls in the troop understand the value of tolerance ... without naming and shaming.

"I am THIS CLOSE to just deleting my FB page and telling most of humanity to eff off. People are just....I can't handle them sometimes."

This is exactly how I dealt with it. I cut out everyone in my life that I considered a poison. Everyone that I didn't think my children should have to grow up with like I did. (including almost everyone in my family)
I moved away and I plan to start anew with my babies. Fuck the rest of them. And if I encounter any new bigot along the way, to hell with them too.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
My parents and sister are in this camp. It is the last remaining source of cognitive dissonance left in my life. There is a widening gulf between my sister and I. My mother (who speaks for my father, who I suspect doesn't actually believe this full flag) is a Fox News loving, Family radio listening Tea Party conservative. I happen to be a hopeless momma's boy. I choose to let it go. If the topic gets broached, I will speak my mind. Otherwise, I just stuff the knowledge that my mom wants gays to be second class citizens and that she believes that Jesus should be president. But Mexican Jesus should be shipped back to Mexico.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Thank you all for the advice and support. I managed not to freak out on her. I just ended it professionally, passed her info up to council so she knows who to contact if she has questions, and then hid all their feeds. ?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Much like Stimbo, I have no bigots in my life. Except Swedes, and you know how they are...

Honestly, Aroura, I don't see any way for you to tell these people about themselves without coming off as a bitch (not implying that you are, but that's how they'll take it). But frankly, do you truly care what these feeble-minded knuckle draggers think of you? There are scads of people in the world who think my first name is 'Thatbastard', and I'm ok with it - these aren't people with whom I care to be involved.

Best of luck sorting this one out. Wish I could be more helpful.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Note to self: Type faster.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The very best day of your life? Cod 37 3432 December 10, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Cod
  Thanks to homophobic bigots Foxaèr 7 586 November 10, 2018 at 9:24 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1141 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How can you succeed in your life? KarlFedren 21 1550 March 7, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What was the best year of your life? ƵenKlassen 30 4004 November 14, 2017 at 4:02 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  What was the worst year of your life? ƵenKlassen 21 1868 November 14, 2017 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Haipule
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2467 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6662 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the First 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? Rhondazvous 58 10663 August 20, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Dumbest mistake you ever made in your life NuclearEnergy 51 12000 May 31, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus