Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believers: Why are you here?
Believers: Why are you here?
I don't mean that the way it may sound. I'm glad you theist types are here. I even like some of you! Haha! If it were nothing but atheists, we'd get pretty bored reinforcing each other's belief that we're correct about the universe's decided lack of gods.

Seriously, though, I'm curious. Why are you hanging out online with a bunch of atheists? What is it that you hope to gain from it? Is it just our pleasant dispositions?
RE: Believers: Why are you here?
I find the discussion here is more engaging than anywhere else online, and there's always a sense of stimulation to some degree. Of course, I have a few friends in real life whom I find much more enlightening, but when they aren't available I turn here, and that's pretty often.

As well as that, I really want to understand more about atheism. I want to observe how the view-point works and what affect holding it has on the atheist him/herself...the more I understand, the less reason for being one I see, however. Tongue
Good answer. Although, there is no reason to be an atheist. You either believe that 'god' is real or you don't. That can change, but there isn't a signing bonus either way. Heheh!
(May 19, 2010 at 7:46 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: If it were nothing but atheists, we'd get pretty bored reinforcing each other's belief that we're correct about the universe's decided lack of gods.

But we are.Wink
binnyCoffee
Quote:I really want to understand more about atheism.

There is no evidence for any gods...including yours. Is that really so hard to 'understand?'
A lot more so than you will ever realize.
I guess because I have no problem with the idea.
Am I allowed to answer for them? Doesn't matter, I'm going to anyway. They are gluttons for punishment. Isn't that obvious. Tongue
I would rather hang out with people who give an honest effort towards being skeptical and scientifically literate, even if they think they know the answers to the great questions and look down upon me.

This crowd, for all it's frustrations, cannot be worse than GodisaGrumpyOldManintheSky.com/forums...
It's definately not for the sunny disposition.. with the exception of Sae. I do feel a bit masochistic at times here, but all in all worth it.

I came here orignially to understand atheism, agnosticism since I have no real friends who believe like that who'd I'd welcome in my house ( mainly due to temperment and manners around my children- not intellectual dissent). I actually used to hang out quote regularly with a large group of them every week. I prefer for it to come from actual atheists intent on discussion rather than theists belief of said group. I had some questions on another forum I wasn't allowed to ask because they did away with their controversial section, so I came here. This looked like the most open-minded and patient group of forums I looked into, which allowed free expression yet control. I came I got beat up a bit, learned some stuff, shared some stuff, came to like it. There's quite a few people on here I have come to respect and admire. I stay in the hopes to continue to learn more, share more, develop good online relationships with intellegent, rational and open minded individuals.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  learning a certain language to communicate to believers and the religious Quill01 13 962 January 8, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: neil
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 984 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  UFO Abductions, impossible, and here's why. Gawdzilla Sama 18 1136 September 11, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5967 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Serious question to believers. purplepurpose 17 1735 December 12, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Narcissistic Mami- post here and you tell me what you think about me J a c k 70 6879 August 22, 2016 at 1:43 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My turn -- Post Here And I'll Tell You What I like About You Edwardo Piet 43 5868 August 16, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Why <insert-country-name-here> is a disgrace! Tiberius 29 6132 February 6, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  What sites are in your toolbar- where do you go when you are not here? professor 30 4161 September 2, 2014 at 4:11 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Why Are You Here? Cinjin 31 7011 December 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: helmespc