Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Brain
Question about Brain
Has anyone seen the movie limitless?

I won't explain it for people who haven't watched. But in the movie the drug doesn't make him smarter, but it gets him in this mode of thinking where he is able to connect patterns, and critically think in every scenario, never just "going through the motions" or not caring.

I was wondering, if I try my best to make my self think critically for the entire day every day, as in trying to connect patterns, and recognize every tiny detail throughout my day, would it effect me? Many people have the ability to think at a higher level, enhanced thought processing, or critically think about anything, but they don't do it all the time. Possibly just for a small fraction of their day on a subject they are very interested in.

Hypothetically speaking, if I could manage to think at, for lack of better words, a higher degree, for the majority of the day; eventually would this be something that sticks? Something that I don't have to "try" to do anymore, but I simply do normally, and not thinking or going through a task mindlessly seems out of the ordinary? If that's the case, it seems like I would never have an uninteresting day from then on out. Could my brain get worn out? I dunno.

I hope none of you have questions as to what I mean, or at least some of you know what i'm trying to say.
RE: Question about Brain
Critical thinking is great... but in my experience if you try and do it all the time it becomes exhausting and can cause anxiety or OCD-like thinking.

Balance my friend... I mean even positive critical thinking... ALL the time is no good I mean everyone needs to relax and laugh on occasion and not be analyzing 100% of the time.

Check out my signature.
(October 18, 2015 at 1:24 am)Evie Wrote: Critical thinking is great... but in my experience if you try and do it all the time it becomes exhausting and can cause anxiety or OCD-like thinking.

Balance my friend... I mean even positive critical thinking... ALL the time is no good I mean everyone needs to relax and laugh on occasion and not be analyzing 100% of the time.

Check out my signature.
Well i would personally like to do as much critical thinking as possible that can still allow me to relax when I need to.

I'm not saying don't relax when you need to, but I think for a lot of us we relax way more than we need, I would rather take advantage of every minute in every day. I think that if you were smart enough you could think at a higher level all the time, and simply relax a portion of it when necessary. I don't think it'd be something that's uncontrollable, but I do think that if you could have your normal state of mind at a very high level of thought processing, you would take in a lot more information, make a lot more connections, and miss a lot less of what's going on in your surroundings.

This might be a personal issue and if so I understand. To get deep with you, I really have a fear of wasting my life. You probably won't agree, but I would sacrifice all laughter/enjoyment in order to have an impact on the world for future generations. Sure I could spend my life only pleasuring myself, but what good would it do if I was just another number added to a yearly statistic? I want to make my mark on history. To help advance the human race, that's the true goal.I want to take advantage of every minute in every day as possible, because I never know when I might run out of minutes. Everyone dies, but I have the chance to live forever through the people I affect, the ideas I influenced, and in a way, all big achievements in history never would have happened without the last. If no one discovered energy, Einstein never would've been given the chance to hypothesize the "E=MC(squared)" equation. Even deeper if you think about it, someone who makes a meaningful impact only comes along every now and then, there's a reason that P doesn't = NP, because you cannot invent something two steps ahead of what currently exists, you have to go one step at a time, if someone's not there to take the next step, the person who could've made the step after that can't because they needed that person in order to connect the dots. The stars only align every so often where a long line of people are able to take the next step. All discoveries ever made started at step #1, no one went from no technology to now inventing a computer.

Sorry if that's too deep, honestly, it's what goes on in my head every day.
The thing is sometimes the most efficient way to help others is to take care of yourself first.

And my critical thinking and analysis right now says you are using too much bold text Smile

But thanks for sharing... I used to analyse all the time and have similar thoughts when I was younger. Mostly when I was on lithium mood stabilizer and every day seemed like an eternity.
(October 18, 2015 at 3:24 am)Evie Wrote: The thing is sometimes the most efficient way to help others is to take care of yourself first.

And my critical thinking and analysis right now says you are using too much bold text Smile

But thanks for sharing... I used to analyse all the time and have similar thoughts when I was younger. Mostly when I was on lithium mood stabilizer and every day seemed like an eternity.
I'm not sure what you mean by "analyze" as when I think of analyze I think of "analyzing data" or something. I wouldn't say i'm "just analyzing", seems too specific.

I'd think of myself as just a "deep thinker". I also take ADHD medication as well as modafinil(nootropic), they both seem to make me think deeper, not so much that, just give my brain more energy to think. I don't get tired mentally. However, though, even when I went off these meds sometime during this summer for a month or so I was still thinking just as deep, and in your terms, "analyzing" just the same. The only thing that changed is that I became less energetic to think intellectually, and was much more tempted to just watch tv and sit around instead of learning and looking up stuff on the internet.

That's just me, it doesn't really matter in response to your post, just thought i'd share. I hope that this is not just a phase of some sort, but a reflection of how i'll be when i'm older. I like to think. I think that too many people go through their lives not thinking. That's the reason for this thread. Some would say too much thinking can hurt, i'd rather test that out for myself and see if it's true, because the moment I stop thinking critically, the moment I stop exploring, questioning, learning, and wondering, that's the moment I go back to being a typical average teenager who's only interested in video games, sports, and girls. I don't want to be a typical teenager. It's a waste of time. It's a category surrounded by average people who mostly grow up to do average things. I don't want to do average things. Average people aren't unique. Nobody will remember an average person. Not to say they aren't equal to people who are above average, or anything like that, that's just quite simply, not the person I want to be.
People say if you don't use it you lose it. For people who have Alzheimer's, the disease process will slow down the deterioration of the brain if another person can keep their mind active. Evie is right about keeping balance. You have to have a good healthy balance in everything you do. This is not a belief concept. If you do too much of one thing, you can forget the other things in life that are also important to you. The brain is no more than another muscle in your body. It needs exercise too just like your biceps or abdomen. Just don't drive yourself crazy doing too much of it. I haven't seen the movie you referred to. For those who do not know. The US federal government actually created LSD to make super-human soldiers which did not work because of its affects, then they want to turn around and make it illegal after they were the ones who created it.
(October 18, 2015 at 6:27 am)Blondie Wrote: The US federal government actually created LSD to make super-human soldiers which did not work because of its affects, then they want to turn around and make it illegal after they were the ones who created it.
You need to do some research on the origins and potential uses of LSD. US Government/Super Human Soldiers? That's just moronic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of...ethylamide
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This would be a better resource than wiki websites since anyone can go in there and type anything they want about any subject they want and it is so accepted by people whether or not it is the truth or not or credible sources or not.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/23/th...n-america/
(October 18, 2015 at 7:56 am)Blondie Wrote: This would be a better resource than wiki websites since anyone can go in there and type anything they want about any subject they want and it is so accepted by people whether or not it is the truth or not or credible sources or not.

Fine. Where in the article do they discuss the "US federal government actually created LSD to make super-human soldiers"? The US government did not create it. It was never tested to try and make super soldiers.

Did you just make the statement for effect?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 18, 2015 at 8:06 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(October 18, 2015 at 7:56 am)Blondie Wrote: This would be a better resource than wiki websites since anyone can go in there and type anything they want about any subject they want and it is so accepted by people whether or not it is the truth or not or credible sources or not.

Fine. Where in the article do they discuss the "US federal government actually created LSD to make super-human soldiers"? The US government did not create it. It was never tested to try and make super soldiers.

Did you just make the statement for effect?

Too Shay.  I really made that statement because that is what someone had told me who lived through that era.  Maybe it was just a rumor out of many that were told at that time.  When government or foreign governments do something like this, it is hard to distinguish fact from rumor unless someone takes responsibility and tells the truth behind something like this.  Who knows?  I just assumed it was a fact, but then again it is always hard to tell what government does behind it's citizens backs regardless of where you are from.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1046 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 995 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 754 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17409 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 514 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1793 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1040 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11431 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2256 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Brain with David Eagleman Mudhammam 4 1453 November 6, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan