Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins says "What if you're wrong?"
Richard Dawkins says "What if you're wrong?"
I would try to find the exact speech where Dawkins responds do a little girl's question "What if you're wrong?" but I'm lazy now and just want to get this posted already. A little girl comes up to the microphone and innocently asks 'What if you're wrong?' in the after speech questions and he responds with her same question 'Well what if you're wrong?' in an angry 'i eat little girls for breakfast' manner.

Richard Dawkins is big stuff, but I think the question could have been handled better. I might have responded just as Dawkins in the moment but I think he missed an opportunity to highlight an absurd, immoral belief held by Christians: if you don't believe, you go to hell (you are tortured) for eternity.

"What if you're wrong?" says the girl

"Well... I guess a lot of good people are going to go to hell for eternity simply for not seeing enough evidence in support of a belief..."

You could go far in emphasizing how a mass murderer would go to heaven over an atheist simply for believing in Jesus Christ. Does that make sense?
RE: Richard Dawkins says "What if you're wrong?"
Quote:Does that make sense?

Only to a believer.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Richard+Dawkins+Wha...27re+Wrong
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
He responded just fine. He responded with "Well what if you're wrong?", "Anybody could be wrong" because that's true, the same applies to everyone... this is an issue of probability, anybody could be wrong, we could be wrong about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, so what.

There was no need for him to get into morality really.

EvF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPJQw-x-xho
it's a valid question.

We, you and he and I, could be wrong. We should accept that we could be wrong, because it is not that you beleive in god that makes you an idiot (although Dawkins may tell you so), it is in fact the belief that you are right and everyone else is wrong. I accept that I may be wrong. I beleive very much, but I may be wrong. Atheism 2.0, the mean and full of itself atheism, is apparently in possession of some level of truth that everyone else on the planet is without...

The world would be a better place without that man making a generation of self aggrandizing and socially illiterate monkeys.

It;s a valid question, one he should have answered in a wholly different manner.
yeah, watching the video again after so long, he did a better job than i thought he did and emphasized a more general and more important problem.
Exactly anybody could be wrong, that's the bigger point Smile

Hence why agnosticism=pwnage.

EvF
(June 4, 2010 at 9:48 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: You could go far in emphasizing how a mass murderer would go to heaven over an atheist simply for believing in Jesus Christ. Does that make sense?

I'd just like to point out that this would have no bearing either way on the truth of the religion. Just because Christianity has rules you don't agree with doesn't make it false.
- Meatball
Atheism as the lack of believe in god(s) (weak atheism) cannot be wrong on the existence of gods in the real world since it only reports about personal belief. A schizofrenic weak atheist might be wrong about what (s)he reports on personal belief, but that's an odd exception. You don't believe me? Try being wrong in formulating for yourself what you truly belief.

A strong atheist can be wrong on the existence of gods in the real world. That doesn't mean that all theisms are true. Probably most of them will not be true.

A theological non-cognitivist can be wrong in stating that the evaluated god concepts lack coherence of statement which doesn't mean that necessarily gods exist but only that some coherent formulation of specific god concepts is possible.

In short the negation of atheism does not equeal theism.
Reckon that.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3265 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6504 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3401 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2810 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 802 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2284 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3215 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5687 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon