Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to cope in the work world?
how to cope in the work world?
I've noticed all my life with every job, and even guilds in MMO games there's always people who are in the same level as me but they try to boss me around and do stuff and I really hate it. 

Like I was working at Autozone last year and i liked the job but this girl would always talk down to me and for example if she was ringing up a customer she would like throw a receipt to the floor and be like "hey, pick that up!" and also this other guy would have that same attitude and for example he was writing and order and as I was walking by he was like "do you have a pen?" and i say no and he goes "WTF WHERE IS YOUR PEN?" right in front of the customer and i just really hate it, and it's like not they did it in a kidding tone of voice either, they do it in like this serious condescending tone of voice.

Another example when I was 16 working at the movie theater like the manager would go tell someone to sweep and then he would come throw the broom at me and be like "hey i need you to sweep this,"  even though I was doing other stuff that i was supposed to do.

And even when I was in the air force there was this guy who was the SAME rank as me and every morning when I would go into the office he would be like "hey i need you to go check the restrooms/clean stair wells/etc" and stuff even though none of that stuff was part of my job and we had separate maintenance people that did it in the after hours, he would only do it in front of others to put me down. 

I notice that this happens and i think its because when i meet people i can get too friendly and then they walk all over me so i think maybe i should be more TOUGH and not as friendly? cus like that autozone lady and guy they would joke around with me when the store was quiet but as soon as a customer walks in they started bossing me around like that.

And then I couldn't take it anymore so that's when I had my suicide attempt and it just kinda made me feel like I don't belong in this world and everyone a dick, but that's not true cus there are nice people out there but the jerks really make it a crappy place. Also when I think about death it's like you go through life but you don't really think much about how it is to die, but then when you see you are dying and you start thinking "well this is it!" it gets kinda scary and you start making excuses to why  ya should live and how life wasn't so bad but then when death truly comes there's you can do to stop it, so it's like spend whole life crying and wanting to die, then when it's time to die you can't live no matter how much you beg and cry. And I think that supports atheism because in the end this life and world and unvierse is really nothing more than a bunch of atoms spinning around and I HATE how christians always try to make it seem like life is good and god cares about us but really dying is the best thing that will happen to all of us and its scary as hell to think about losing my parents and then dying alone, but that's just how life is and its actually a godo thing that time doesn't stop or wait because it helps me remember that suffering isn't forever and no matter how bad i feel now eveyrthing dies sooner than later and human life is like 80 years average and even 100 yeras only is 36,500 days which isn't a huge number so as long as i keep knocking out the days i think it will be over before i know it.
RE: how to cope in the work world?
And your question is?  Your point is?  Are you looking for a therapist?  You're in the wrong forum.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I may come back for a more considered reply, but I would recommend adopting a passive-aggressive approach:

Them: "Where the fuck is your pen?"
You: "Right next to yours."
Cato has a good point. If you can't kill them with kindness, kill them with common sense.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Seems like you really need more help than this forum but i'll throw out a couple of things.

'No' is an answer. It sounds like you are depressed, I would look more into that. What are you doing with your career now?
If water rots the soles of your boots, what does it do to your intestines?
It seems that people who have been doing a job longer than you believe they have superiority, despite you both being in the same position. I worked at a restaurant once where a guy who was younger than me liked to call me boy. I was working dishes, and he liked to harass me. Apparently you run the risk of getting in trouble if you actually turn the hot water hose on someone, and he figured I wouldn't do it. Eventually I got tired enough of his antics, and did it, and got away with it. Because apparently he had pulled this crap enough times that the manager figured he deserved it anyway. He didn't bother me much after that.

Honestly I rarely got grief from people on the job. Work went smoother than highschool ever did, because managers don't want to pay people who are causing problems. People like that don't last long, especially when they're harassing an otherwise productive individual. I'm sorry if it's not the same to you. I'd suggest standing up for yourself more. Telling a manager at work has been much more effective for me than telling a teacher at school.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

1. Stand up for yourself (using sarcasm/humour if necessary)
2. Remember that the customer is your enemy and be prepared to act on that revelation at a moment's notice.
3. Some people say that revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's a dish best served with hot spikes and electrodes.
4. Finally, remember that if there's a zombie apocalypse, the people you're working with will likely be the first you shoot in the head.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 9, 2015 at 4:20 pm)Beccs Wrote: 4.  Finally, remember that if there's a zombie apocalypse, the people you're working with will likely be the first you shoot in the head.

Or, if you happen to be one of early unlucky afflicted, they may be your best source for tasty brains.
Matey. It's just you.
I don't mean that in a negative way.

If everyone's doing this to you, then change how you come across to people.
Have your jokes, but don't play the clown.

Show respect and most will return it.
If all these other people were arseholes and idiots, they wouldn't have their jobs.
Maybe you are inviting them to treat you like that?!

Don't become angry and vindictive.
My cousin is 63 years old. She hasn't kept a job longer than 6 months because she gossips a lot and can't keep her mouth shut. She keeps telling us what arseholes they all are. I think we all know who the loser is.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
So Rextos, no offense dude but are you receiving any type of therapy?

You did mention suicide attempt. And do me a favor. Read your last paragraph out loud to yourself. Do you notice anything off or different from other paragraphs people have submitted in other threads? Not in content but in style or format.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1236 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3401 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5221 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 249081 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  The good work of ISIS Mudhammam 17 3848 August 12, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.) topher 187 30580 April 20, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  why creationism doesn't work. dyresand 4 1675 November 17, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  hate the work world Jextin 7 3575 September 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Formulating a rational defense of skepticism (a work in progress) Vincenzo Vinny G. 49 14563 September 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  prayer at work xxxtobymac 4 2026 October 9, 2011 at 11:54 am
Last Post: frankiej