Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topics which effect you.
Topics which effect you.
Which of the political/religious topics on this forum we all talk about effect you personally?  And which don't effect you at all? I mean we're probably all effected by every topic indirectly in one way or another, but I mean effected locally and directly.
I'm mostly being comparative with America in these examples because I'm assuming that's where most people on here are from. 

I'm from a place near Manchester in the UK.

17.7% of my town is Muslim, my area is one of the most Islamic parts of my town so I'd estimate around 30% to 40% (possibly higher) of the area very local to me is Muslim.  So a lot of the topics involving Islam directly effect me.
We had race riots here in the late 90s but since then everything has mainly calmed down, although there have been public protests by groups outraged over local Muslim pedophile gangs targeting white children and a police force slow to react due to not wanting to be seen as politically incorrect.

I live in an area that also has a lot of Romanian immigration, so again that also effects me.  A lot of the local people blame Romanians for crime.  I don't really know if many of the local immigrants are Syrians or refugees or not.

Because I live in England it pretty much completely goes over my head when the topic of white Christian red necks comes up.  We have white chavs here who maybe the closest thing England has to a redneck, but realistically that culture really doesn't effect here much.  I've seen them on TV, programs like southpark, but that's about it.  There's hardly any black people in my town, so if there's a topic about black cultures especially black american culture it really doesn't effect me much.  The nearest black populations are closer to the inner city.  Pretty much the same thing in relation to Chinese people also, I've been through China town countless times because I used to go to the nearest city a lot, but they don't effect me and I don't think I've ever even seen a Mexican in person.

With diseases and health problems I don't think where I live is ideal but I think we much lower levels of HIV and things like that than say in America.

Also we have drug problems here but I don't think the problem of meth has reached England yet, at least where I live I've never heard of it.

Locally, gun control isn't a huge issue here.  Local pakistani gangs have been known to kill each other with guns on rare occasions, and there was one shooting very local to my house which was to do with an arranged marriage gone wrong.  The nearest city to me which is Manchester supposedly does have a problem with guns but relative to American cities it's probably not a big problem.
Things like mass shootings, school shootings and all of that stuff just don't really happen here.

I think it's because we have no red neck culture or Mexican culture here in England I'm really fascinated by them both.  I love seeing documentaries when it shows people living in trailer parks and cowboys where everything is so out in the open and it looks like something from the Texas chainsaw massacre.
It's a similar story with Jews, and far east Asian people, I've never really spoke to a Jewish person before, and only been friends with one Indonesian who I was in a band with.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Topics which effect you.
Affect, not effect.... (For future reference)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I am both affected and not affected at the time by all the topics.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 12, 2015 at 7:58 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Affect, not effect.... (For future reference)

It's "reflect" or "deflect"...(For future reference)
(December 12, 2015 at 7:58 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Affect, not effect.... (For future reference)

THANK YOU
I'm personally affected by Xenophobia, rightwingery and scapegoatery. Why? Because I come from a family that was largely wiped out during Hitler's reign and the terminology used today is exactly the same as has been used before it became outright murder. The reasons are also the same. Changing political dimes by encouraging fear and presenting easy solutions by removing a certain group of people. And the economical framwork is the same. People are worse off than they were a decade ago, with unemployment through the roofs. Of course, people are afraid and it's easy to build on already existing fears.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Collaborate.
Really one topic comes to mind. The use of the R-word. I don't need to make my case here and cause the thread to derail, but many of you know why I have issues with other people using that horrible word.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(December 14, 2015 at 5:30 am)Judi Lynn Wrote: Really one topic comes to mind. The use of the R-word. I don't need to make my case here and cause the thread to derail, but many of you know why I have issues with other people using that horrible word.

'Rhinoceros'?

'Recidivist'?

'Rimjob'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You've been around long enough to hear my rants.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 889 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Which language would be the best lingua franca? FlatAssembler 13 1026 March 5, 2022 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Which Trump will be next on the ticket? Fake Messiah 13 809 January 22, 2021 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2560 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can You Guess Which Countries Have More "Women In Parliament" Than The USA? ReptilianPeon 7 1472 July 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The WLB Effect Is Starting To Take Hold Minimalist 0 593 July 6, 2017 at 1:15 pm
  Dems vs Repubs = no difference? Which party is more wed to power than to any issue? Whateverist 39 3882 October 25, 2016 at 1:50 pm
  Paris Climate Accords go into effect November 4th! Jehanne 11 1560 October 16, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hillary or Trump: Which of These is the Lesser of Two Evils? Rhondazvous 150 17212 May 15, 2016 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Trevor Noah - The Ferguson Effect Minimalist 0 521 November 3, 2015 at 12:29 pm