Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Complexity of the Eye", for stupid creationists.
The "Complexity of the Eye", for stupid creationists.
"How did the eye suddenly appear?"

Well, moron, "suddenly" doesn't apply.

530-million-year-old fossil has look of world's oldest eye, study suggests
Date: December 7, 2017
Source: University of Edinburgh
Summary: A 530-million-year-old fossil contains what could be the oldest eye ever discovered, a study reveals.

Quote:A 530-million-year-old fossil contains what could be the oldest eye ever discovered, a study reveals.

The remains of an extinct sea creature include an early form of the eye seen in many of today's animals, including crabs, bees and dragonflies, researchers say.

Scientists made the finding while examining the well-preserved fossil of a hard-shelled species -- called a trilobite. These ancestors of spiders and crabs lived in coastal waters during the Palaeozoic era, between 541-251 million years ago.

They found the ancient creature had a primitive form of compound eye -- an optical organ that consists of arrays of tiny visual cells, called ommatidia, similar to those of present-day bees.

The team, which included a researcher from the University of Edinburgh, say their findings suggest that compound eyes have changed little over 500 million years.

The right eye of the fossil -- which was unearthed in Estonia -- was partly worn away, giving researchers a clear view inside the organ. This revealed details of the eye's structure and function, and how it differs from modern compound eyes.
The species had poor vision compared with many animals today, but it could identify predators and obstacles in its path, researchers say.

Its eye consists of approximately 100 ommatidia, which are situated relatively far apart compared to contemporary compounds eyes, the team says.

Unlike modern compound eyes, the fossil's eye does not have a lens. This is likely because the primitive species -- called Schmidtiellus reetae -- lacked parts of the shell needed for lens formation, the team says.
Continues...
RE: The "Complexity of the Eye", for stupid creationists.
Usually when I hear someone argue about the complexity of the eye, they usually bring up a quote mine from Darwin, talking about how he didn't know how the complex eye formed, but it leaves out another part of the page which kind of invalidates their quote mine.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 7, 2017 at 5:40 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Usually when I hear someone argue about the complexity of the eye, they usually bring up a quote mine from Darwin, talking about how he didn't know how the complex eye formed, but it leaves out another part of the page which kind of invalidates their quote mine.

Yep, quote mining to the max.  Dodgy
Gawdzilla use your God-given eyes and just LOOK AROUND YOU! Have you seen -- MOUNTAINS!? Explain that one evolution.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(December 7, 2017 at 5:40 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Usually when I hear someone argue about the complexity of the eye, they usually bring up a quote mine from Darwin, talking about how he didn't know how the complex eye formed, but it leaves out another part of the page which kind of invalidates their quote mine.

That quote mine usually crops up once or twice a day on a debate group I belong to on FB.

Some seem genuinely surprised when I tell them to look at the entire quote.

Of course, that's an indicator that they just parrot what they read from others instead of doing their own research.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 7, 2017 at 5:43 pm)Aegon Wrote: Gawdzilla use your God-given eyes and just LOOK AROUND YOU! Have you seen -- MOUNTAINS!? Explain that one evolution.

Just Rockies, Himalayas, Andes, Alps, Kilimanjaro, Mt. Etna, etc., no mountains that God made, sadly.
Stupid creationists?

Isn't that a little convoluted?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 7, 2017 at 7:03 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Stupid creationists?

Isn't that a little convoluted?

Sadly, no. I have relatives who are quite smart but totally invested in creationism. They suffer from homey schooling so they discuss these things with one foot in a bucket, but they refuse to see their limitations. Sad.

I can remember an episode of the Atheist Experience where a caller came in to point out that specific quote and, when they got to "absurd to the highest degree", the hosts just said: "What comes next?" Eventually, they got to the point where he explained it, and then he asked: what did it mean? He showed zero reading comprehension. 

Darwin's writing style is very heavy on shit like this: explain the objections, admit they may have a point, and then immediately explain why the objection does not hold up to much scrutiny.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
An empirical computer simulation suggests from a single light sensitive cell on the exterior of multicellular animal, a sophisticated camera eye similar to the human eye can evolve in half a million generations.  At 2 year per generation typical of small multi-cellular animals, that’s just 1 million years.

Genetic evidence suggest the genes responsible for underlying light sensitive pigment that facilitates essentially all vision and light sensitivity in animals - rhodopsin - is 2 billion years old.

Any questions?

As it happens, not only do we see both camera eye like ours, and compound eye similar to insect and crab’s having each evolved at least once, there happen to be an entirely new lineage of eye, seemly entirely separate from the compound and the camera eye, that is being evolved as we speak.   This is the external shell eye of the rimicaris exoculata shrimp.   This shrimp has the genes for the normal compound eye found in typical shrimps.  In juvenile stage the compound eye is there.  In adulthood, the compound eye is reabsorbed. But a truly remarkable adaptation occurs. An entirely unique sheet of light sensitive cells grows over the shell on the shrmp’s back.  In effect the shrimp transforms its back into the retina of a new inside out eye.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Rebuttal To Creationists - "Since We Can't Directly Observe Evolution, It Never Happe QuackeryDetection 11 1331 May 14, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are Americans Just Stupid? Foxaèr 42 2677 October 11, 2020 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Creationists! Eat Your Broccoli ! chimp3 22 2751 October 17, 2019 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Tips on how to boost eye health purplepurpose 24 2532 March 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  The Missing Link and the Irreducible Complexity of the Eye Rhondazvous 73 22785 June 8, 2017 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Single celled creature with functioning eye. downbeatplumb 19 6182 December 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bionic eye implant world first zebo-the-fat 12 3823 July 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: QuarkDriven
  Stupid Virus Discovered in People popeyespappy 0 992 November 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Intelligent Design: Irreducible Complexity? OfficerVajardian 49 12635 August 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  How to Piss-Off Creationists 101: OfficerVajardian 16 4270 August 16, 2014 at 2:25 am
Last Post: Zidneya