Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Missing Link and the Irreducible Complexity of the Eye
The Missing Link and the Irreducible Complexity of the Eye
I was born in Washington D.C. and practically grew up in the Museum of Man and Natural History. Yet I never learned that the so called “missing link” was found in 1924. I speak of Australopithecus africanus, aka Southern Ape Man. This is said to be a direct ancestor of modern man. So why do we speak of the missing link as if it’s still missing?

Although Darwin expressed perplexity over the eye, scientists have since fully documented the evolution of the eye. Yet we allow theists to wave the eye before us as the bane of evolution.

Could it be because the textbooks in public schools are written in Texas, the buckle of the Bible belt, that cesspool of undigested lies, that our children remain ignorant of the advances of science?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Missing Link and the Irreducible Complexity of the Eye
(May 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I was born in Washington D.C. and practically grew up in the Museum of Man and Natural History. Yet I never learned that the so called “missing link” was found in 1924. I speak of Australopithecus africanus, aka Southern Ape Man.  This is said to be a direct ancestor of modern man. So why do we speak of the missing link as if it’s still missing?

Although Darwin expressed perplexity over the eye, scientists have since fully documented the evolution of the eye. Yet we allow theists to wave the eye before us as the bane of evolution.

Could it be because the textbooks in public schools are written in Texas, the buckle of the Bible belt, that cesspool of undigested lies, that our children remain ignorant of the advances of science?

Because you find a missing link and suddenly you've made two more either side of it. So the more missing links we find the more they come up with.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Missing link is a nonsense concept, long abandoned by serious scholars. It's like asking who is the missing link between you and your neighbor. There's not one person.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

even a poorly performing eye organ is better (from a survival aspect) than not having one at all
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Although Darwin expressed perplexity over the eye, scientists have since fully documented the evolution of the eye.

Actually, he didn't. What he was doing with his famous "absurd in the highest possible degree" passage was pointing out that such things seem counter-intuitive on the surface. He goes on to say:

"When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science. Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms, in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their sarcode should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility."

Don't fall down the creatards' quotemine.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I was born in Washington D.C. and practically grew up in the Museum of Man and Natural History. Yet I never learned that the so called “missing link” was found in 1924. I speak of Australopithecus africanus, aka Southern Ape Man.  This is said to be a direct ancestor of modern man. So why do we speak of the missing link as if it’s still missing?

In answer to your first question, it's because every time an evolutionary intermediary (humanity today is actually one too, unless we die out without evolutionary heirs) is found, up pops a creatard to bleat "oh, look there's a gap. Checkmate atheists!"

In response to your second question, I'm not an expert on US pedagogical literature, but if it's anything like what I've heard and read about US history textbooks, it's probably even worse than that.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Now that we have print-on-demand Tejas has lost it's death grip on school books. Whole chapters can be added or deleted and so on right down to single words.

If they would have actually popped them out and swung em by the nerve, I'd have gotten out sooner.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 6, 2017 at 1:43 pm)Cyberman Wrote:
(May 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Although Darwin expressed perplexity over the eye, scientists have since fully documented the evolution of the eye.

Actually, he didn't. What he was doing with his famous "absurd in the highest possible degree" passage was pointing out that such things seem counter-intuitive on the surface. He goes on to say:

"When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science. Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms, in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their sarcode should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility."

Don't fall down the creatards' quotemine.

From where did you get this quote? I'd like to use it, but not without a source.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
My bad; I really should have cited a source. I got it from here: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Notable_Ch...of_Species

However this might be a better source: http://darwin-online.org.uk/Variorum/186...-1861.html
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 994 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Missing Link to A Missing Link! Minimalist 9 752 October 28, 2018 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Tips on how to boost eye health purplepurpose 24 2532 March 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  The "Complexity of the Eye", for stupid creationists. Gawdzilla Sama 10 1852 December 8, 2017 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Single celled creature with functioning eye. downbeatplumb 19 6182 December 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bionic eye implant world first zebo-the-fat 12 3820 July 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: QuarkDriven
  Intelligent Design: Irreducible Complexity? OfficerVajardian 49 12630 August 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Eye the Size of a Softball thesummerqueen 22 5908 October 15, 2012 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Light-powered bionic eye invented to help restore sight zebo-the-fat 7 4084 June 13, 2012 at 5:37 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Ten Sticks in the Eye for Creationist Morons in 2011 Minimalist 5 3167 January 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels