Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those into Hip Hop / Rap
For those into Hip Hop / Rap
I have to admit like most I stay inside my comfort zone when it comes to taste in music. I will say that on average I am much more eclectic with ABBA, and Metalica and the Ramones and Harry Conic Jr. I have a redneck friend in OK who likes  country, not so much the corporate stuff, but old style. This guy has found both ABBA and Metallica and even the Redskins fight song on banjo. But this thread is not about him. 

I am also not into hip hop or rap, but the right song and right lyrics can hit me. Just now a artist calling himself Don Jimmy sent me an invite to his page to like it. Well not knowing who he was because on FB you get requests to like all sorts of pages on many topics. So I go there and click on his sample and LOVED IT.

So click on this link and decide for yourself....... FYI not getting paid a dime for this. Nor did he ask me to post elsewhere. I offered to post his page because I liked it.

https://www.facebook.com/Therealdonjames/?fref=nf
RE: For those into Hip Hop / Rap
Hip hop and rap videos are great fun to watch.

Made the mistake of listening to one once, though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 15, 2015 at 5:23 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Hip hop and rap videos are great fun to watch.

Made the mistake of listening to one once, though.

Stimbo there is much more to music than simply not liking a style. The reason music changes is because humans change, just like boarders and religions. Nobody should claim all artists are great, but getting stuck on style is not how music thrives.

I used to hate thrash metal like Ozzy and Metallica just like some here hate ABBA. Music is much deeper than one type. If you want to say it simply isn't your personal taste as a style, I get that. But beyond that no.
And that's the last time I try to make a joke.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 15, 2015 at 5:34 pm)Stimbo Wrote: And that's the last time I try to make a joke.

No you can, but I don't know about you, but there really are far too many people in the states that look at Hip Hop as if it is all black gang bang music. 

And it is funny I have no problem pointing to my own taste in music and find lyrics that convey hot chicks and angst ridden "violence". Cherry Pie by Motley Crew isn't exactly deep and Metallica's "Seek And Destroy" and "Fade To Black" aren't exactly the Hanson Brothers. Not to mention Clapton's "I shot the Sheriff". I love the Ramones and they have a song called "Beat On The Brat".
I don't have any preference one way or the other to any musical style (except gospel I can't stand. Oh, and xtian 'rock'). I am completely indifferent - I can take it or leave it. Same with my brand of humour; I don't care if someone doesn't find it amusing, I only care that it's not taken as a commentary on my opinions and then thrown back at me.
(December 15, 2015 at 5:48 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I don't have any preference one way or the other to any musical style (except gospel I can't stand. Oh, and xtian 'rock'). I am completely indifferent - I can take it or leave it. Same with my brand of humour; I don't care if someone doesn't find it amusing, I only care that it's not taken as a commentary on my opinions and then thrown back at me.

My Redneck friend from OK grew up in religion, now out of it of course, but yea, I am with you, sometimes even if the music is solid, I cant get past the lyrics. He can, I cant. Once you start singing about invisible friends, and magic babies, i am gone. It is like the sushi can be damn good, but someone stuck burnt grilled cheese in the center of it.
Oh yea, Stryper for example, they should be brought up on charges against humanity's ears.
I've always enjoyed Hip Hop and rap, I just think people confuse mainstream radio rap with all rap music ever produced. Firstly, there's a difference between hip hop and rap - Hip hop as a whole is a cultural movements with strong roots, causes and social consequences - Rap is simply a style of music literally translated to Rhythm and poetry. There's different types of rap music. There's old school, golden era, east and west coast, commercial and undergound - There's rap songs where you talk about bitches, money and drugs, and there's songs where you can directly state how much you hate oppressive systems in society.

Personally, I think hip hop is an unconventional music genre as much as rock - Both have always been associated with social transgression and rule breaking, and right now both enjoy mainstream radio playing and commercialization (whether I like the mainstream music or not). You cannot lump one entire musical genre together. You can't compare Guru with 50 cent and Eric B Rakim with Soulja boy and expect to get away with it.

Brian, I suggest checking out Immortal Technique, Very underground artist.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

No, I am boycotting any suggestions until the entire membership here bows to ABBA! Yes, to your question I did eat lead paint as a kid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 752 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anybody into Industrial and/or Goth? The Industrial Atheist 13 912 February 16, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Metallica - Moth Into Flame, my thoughts Mechaghostman2 25 4788 September 29, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  For those who liked the show "Lost" Foxaèr 1 547 June 18, 2016 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Rap Aegon 14 1653 February 27, 2016 at 12:16 am
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Compliments Rap Battle Napoléon 0 751 February 28, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Check out this atheist rap artist. Brian37 35 6220 August 31, 2014 at 4:32 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  listen to rap stonedape 11 2638 August 30, 2014 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Zack
  For those who like Electronic music (Hardcore , Techno , Trance etc...) viocjit 0 1026 April 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Turning Sam Harris into music. Golbez 2 840 December 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Golbez