Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:34 am

Poll: What will happen to parades?
This poll is closed.
They'll die out soon, they're boring.
0%
0 0%
They'll turn into one big commercial.
50.00%
1 50.00%
I LOVE PARADES!
0%
0 0%
Meh, who let this girl create a poll?
50.00%
1 50.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 - and Parades - and change
2016 - and Parades - and change
Happy 2016 Everybody!

I turned on the TV to the Rose Bowl parade.  The floats are quite amazing.  (Downton Abbey!)  The amount of time and money required to create those things is mind-boggling. The Thanksgiving Day parade was similar - kind of boring - one long commercial for shows and artists, really.

The world has changed since I was a little girl.  It has changed a LOT in the last 100 years.  In the past, people would gather to see a spectacle - something they didn't see everyday, like a band and circus clowns and acrobats and displays.  Now none of these things are particularly exciting.  We sit in the comfort of our own homes, turn on the television, and see things that are much more interesting at the click of a button.

So, who thinks that parades will die out?  Who thinks that they will continue, but change in format somehow?  Inquiring minds want to know!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: 2016 - and Parades - and change
Parades are fun.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I see no point in them. I would rather have large public gatherings in which people could discuss the problems of their society, but that's just me.
I haven't been to a parade since I was a kid, but ooff and on, I have enjoyed watching Macy's on TV, as well as the Rose Parade. It's tradition and warmth. It's kind of a white person thing to do, but, well, yep, I'm a whitey.

As I get older, my tolerance for crowds plummets, so I'm not sure I'd ever try to live the childhood dream of going to Macy's. Also, I feel like I want a parade to be a fluid thing, with marching and driving and not much else. I don't like how Macy's appears to pause so a singer can do his/her thing. I noticed a "stage" put out on the Macy's route that was essentially a mat. It just looked ugly on TV.

My favorite things in any parade are the marching bands and emergency vehicles. So, I like the small town/suburban parades that are so popular back in, say, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York State, etc. Having the local HS band, maybe Rotary or Shriners or others with their fancy old cars. Maybe the local fire department with its parade truck that used to be a pumper, or whatever.

I actually haven't been to a parade since the mid-80's, in Ludington, MI, if I remember. I was maybe 10. But I love watching it on TV or YouTube.

Both hometown parades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUk0yeTKV0

and fire musters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLO2QHFWx0
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Small town parade with local high school marching band, equestrians, local fire rescue crews throwing candy to the kids, clever to lame floats for local businesses and clubs and churches, it's always fun.

When I was a kid, they'd close off main street and let the traffic backup for a couple hours, nowadays, they have the parade on a side street.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The word 'parade' has a negative connotation for me, very unpleasant associations, culturally speaking.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 1, 2016 at 10:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The word 'parade' has a negative connotation for me, very unpleasant associations, culturally speaking.

Boru

You have me curious Boru - if you feel like elaborating.  Military?  Political groups turning violent?  Religious processions?     Huh

Running with the bulls in Pamplona?      Tongue
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Option #2. I grew up in Northern Ireland, were parades were demonstrations of either Republican or (more usually) Loyalist patriotism. Loyalists tend to parade in Nationalist neighbourhoods, for the express purpose of irritating nationalists. These demonstrations often lead to violence by both sides, though I'm given to understand that things are not as bad now as in the past.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2016 at 1:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Option #2.  I grew up in Northern Ireland, were parades were demonstrations of either Republican or (more usually) Loyalist patriotism.  Loyalists tend to parade in Nationalist neighbourhoods, for the express purpose of irritating nationalists.  These demonstrations often lead to violence by both sides, though I'm given to understand that things are not as bad now as in the past.

Boru

Wow.  Sorry you went through that.  Parading through Nationalist neighborhoods - - just asking to be attacked.  Sounds like gang warfare.  I would have hidden indoors, cussing out both sides.  I wouldn't like parades either.  Thanks for giving another viewpoint.
Yeah, I've heard that, too, with regards to NA. And some footage of such a parade almost looked like a bleaker, creeper version of an American neighborhood parade, IIRC.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good News for a Change. onlinebiker 6 364 February 7, 2021 at 11:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Hail To A Name change..... Sports/NFL Brian37 44 1636 July 13, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING: China's communist party wants to change the internet protocols WinterHold 32 2188 April 2, 2020 at 8:33 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  CNN- UN expert recommends Kushner change his phone after suspected Saudi hack WinterHold 1 530 January 25, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Donald Trump shuts down EPA's climate change website. Jehanne 6 836 November 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Joods
  This topic from 2016, proved true in 2018, read and do your part WinterHold 0 335 September 8, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Forgot to change name! RoadRunner79 33 2982 July 18, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  You Can't Fool People With Chump Change, Assholes Minimalist 9 1258 March 13, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Is There No Change That Doesn't Make Conservatards Whine Like Little Bitches? Minimalist 19 1607 October 12, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Some Good News For A Change Minimalist 2 842 August 4, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist