Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To call them autistic or people with autism
To call them autistic or people with autism
So I'm sitting in a communications class that is a week long, for college. And of course something that came up was political correctness. Now the example of autism came up and the teacher asked about this example "what is better, to call someone with autism autistic, or say they are a person with autism." Now I am autistic and I spoke up and said, " I said I have high functioning autism and I prefer to be simply called autistic, because it is short and to the point." I got told I was wrong and that it is better to call them a person with autism. The teacher ( who is actually very good) then went on to explain about calling learning disabled kids in elementary and Jr high exceptional instead of disabled. That is downright stupid because these kids (I lived it) have a hard enough time being taken seriously and getting the help they need, without a patronizing softening of the language to make things seem more positive then they are. I say, call a spade a spade.
Your thoughts?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: To call them autistic or people with autism
I agree with you, more or less, and think political corectness is liable to be the end of free speech, as well as democracy.
You can be tactful, sensitive, and compassionate when talking to/about someone without being politically correct. Truth should be said in love, but it should still be said.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Agree with you.
I can see the difference between the two. To me I would prefer to be called "a person with ____" because to me, to say I'm "autistic" is making that a defining quality about me. I wouldn't want my autism to define who I am. I am first a person. A person with autism. Not an autistic person. Make sense? That's just my opinion on it.

The same could be said about handicaps. Is it is a handicapped person, or a person with a handicap? Disabled person or a person with a disability? I don't know, but to me it's more PC to say, "A person with X" since you are putting their person-hood as primary and not demoting them to whatever "ailment" they may have.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(January 7, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Kingpin Wrote: I can see the difference between the two.  To me I would prefer to be called "a person with ____" because to me, to say I'm "autistic" is making that a defining quality about me.  I wouldn't want my autism to define who I am.  I am first a person.  A person with autism.  Not an autistic person.  Make sense?  That's just my opinion on it.

The same could be said about handicaps.  Is it is a handicapped person, or a person with a handicap?  Disabled person or a person with a disability?  I don't know, but to me it's more PC to say, "A person with X" since you are putting their person-hood as primary and not demoting them to whatever "ailment" they may have.

That makes sense, and I actually agree here. I wouldn't call this political correctness though. To me, I associate political correctness with denying or not saying something that is true.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 7, 2016 at 4:16 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 7, 2016 at 4:09 pm)Kingpin Wrote: I can see the difference between the two.  To me I would prefer to be called "a person with ____" because to me, to say I'm "autistic" is making that a defining quality about me.  I wouldn't want my autism to define who I am.  I am first a person.  A person with autism.  Not an autistic person.  Make sense?  That's just my opinion on it.

The same could be said about handicaps.  Is it is a handicapped person, or a person with a handicap?  Disabled person or a person with a disability?  I don't know, but to me it's more PC to say, "A person with X" since you are putting their person-hood as primary and not demoting them to whatever "ailment" they may have.

That makes sense, and I actually agree here. I wouldn't call this political correctness though. To me, I associate political correctness with denying or not saying something that is true.

That can be the case sometimes, but usually it's just avoiding expressions that are meant to insult, marginalize or exclude others or groups.  It's not that they aren't true, but more it can be found offensive.  Like no longer using terms like "crippled" or even now "disabled" is becoming offensive.  Or terms referencing black people have been changed throughout the decades.  Doesn't mean the terms or replacement terms are incorrect, just "less offensive" or "more accepted".  Truly, no matter what you say someone may be offended.

From Wikipedia:

"Political correctness can even affect terminology that's viewed by secularists as too "pro-religion" or an alleged "violation of the separation of church and state" in the United States. The best example of this is the active promotion of the use of C.E. and B.C.E. as the abbreviations used after dates (instead of the commonly and traditionally used A.D. and B.C.). Additionally, atheists as school administrators or government union workers at liberal schools use political correctness as a means for renaming terms they view as too pro-religious. For example, a Seattle student at a local elementary school volunteered to do a project as part of a community-service effort that she was doing through her school, supplying plastic eggs filled with jellybeans, called "Easter eggs." The student had an idea to fill little plastic eggs with treats and jelly beans and other candy to give to her classmates, but she was concerned how the teacher might react to the eggs after learning earlier in the week about "their abstract behavior rules." After asking the teacher for permission, the student reportedly explained, "She said that I could do it as long as I called this treat 'spring spheres.' I couldn't call them Easter eggs."
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
After being diagnosed with autism, my condition was never even mentioned, I was just treated like I had a learning disability.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
I believe it's a person with "autism spectrum disorder". Were the rest of you being insensitive by not using the most up to date terminology?

What I don't like is being called on the carpet when I (or others) had no clue that I was not being PC enough. I normally do not go out of my way to offend. Shit, what is considered PC is changing all of the time (see above). If you want me to use the correct PC phrase every time the PC police need to put me on the PC email update list. Hopefully it doesn't come out daily. Plus, I'll try not to get as butt hurt when corrected. Oops, I mean derriere traumatized.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Political correctness is a cancer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1199 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 535 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1031 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Fuck them BrokenQuill92 1 414 October 27, 2020 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Sal
  True Enough - Because Jesus Is An Embarrassment To Them Minimalist 8 1132 November 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Why is it Politics has no turned into an us verses them? Why? GODZILLA 29 2434 July 11, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  NFL owners admit Trump pressured them into banning player protests Foxaèr 27 2709 May 24, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Laws Are No Better Than The Fuckheads Who Enforce Them Minimalist 2 594 April 3, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Conservatards: Irony Is Wasted On Them! Minimalist 11 2183 January 29, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  When I Call Someone Like Farenthold a Fucktard - I Mean It Minimalist 2 596 December 14, 2017 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire