Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the meaning of Life?
What is the meaning of Life?
Or.. what is the purpose of being alive? What difference does it make if someone is alive or not? What should hold someone out from committing suicide if there is no meaning or purpose to this pathetic of an excuse of time on this shithole of a planet?..
RE: What is the meaning of Life?
Forty two

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The purpose of life is to shag. Everything else is a bonus.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
The meaning of life is to seek out what is best in life.  What is best in life..praytell.......

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Pool, the answer to this lies entirely on a person's worldview.

A theist may tell you that the meaning of life is to live a life serving others, to worship God, to do good for others so you may be rewarded in the afterlife, etc.

A pantheist may say that you should perform as many good acts as possible in this life to be rewarded in your next life.

An atheist may say that there is no meaning, or each person finds their own meaning to life.

Joseph Campbell said: "Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer."

So you will get a variety of answers. I do have to ask out of concern, are you asking this because you are contemplating suicide?
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
Hells no. Life just seems so bland though, eat, drink, college, ... I just wish there was some better purpose to live

Edit: Maybe the more poetic people of the forum can help

Thanks for the concern though!
(January 8, 2016 at 12:24 pm)pool Wrote: Hells no. Life just seems so bland though, eat, drink, college, ... I just wish there was some better purpose to live

Edit: Maybe the more poetic people of the forum can help

Thanks for the concern though!

Ok well that's good to hear!

One thing I can tell you is that I don't feel life is meant to be lived alone.  Be social, expand horizons and develop relationships not acquaintances.  Everybody needs somebody sometime.  Converse with those whose views and ideas are different than your own.  Be open minded and compassionate.  Experience life.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(January 8, 2016 at 12:09 pm)pool Wrote: Or.. what is the purpose of being alive? What difference does it make if someone is alive or not? What should hold someone out from committing suicide if there is no meaning or purpose to this pathetic of an excuse of time on this shithole of a planet?..

The harsh reality is nothing can physically stop you from killing yourself. The good side is that we also evolved to value self and we do have modern psychology, and psychiatry and even medications that can help one cope with mental illness.

But I really do hate the false dichotomy that life is all pretty and if we don't view it that way we are fatalistic. NO! Accepting that this is the only ride we have and accepting that bad stuff is as natural as good stuff is not saying it is all doom and gloom.

You go to a movie knowing it will end. You go to a music concert knowing it will end. You go to a sporting event also knowing it will end, but you still go and you still find joy in doing those things. I would have never gotten my current cat who is awesome and my  best buddy, if I had dwelled on the death of my prior cat.

More importantly, I wouldn't have grown closer to my mom which I am now, if I had dwelled on the death of my dad, or my grandparents or my mom's friends. I get lots of joy helping her out. I get lots of joy with our inside jokes. And she is elderly and while I do fear her not being around and want her around forever, I cant dwell on what we cannot avoid. 

I am glad I have stuck it out. I have depression myself, but I think now about what I would have missed, that keeps me going. Life does not have to be all joy all the time nor do we have to live for eternity to value now.

There is no long term meaning to life no, but there is meaning now, while we are alive. To devalue life because it is finite is to live in fear.
To fuck and die.
Pfft. Imma say waffles

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The True Meaning of The 25th Of December BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2608 December 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2101 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Real Meaning of the Word Disinterested Rhondazvous 56 9380 July 24, 2015 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What is the meaning behind your avatar picture? Something completely different 166 34018 January 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  What is the meaning behind your username? Foxaèr 153 36748 January 18, 2014 at 1:37 am
Last Post: null--69