Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas
Christmas
D'you know what really pisses me off? It's the old chestnut when we atheists think we have to defend the fact that we celebrate the 'christian' holidays Christmas and Easter.

The religious nu... (ahem!) believer dribbles something like "ah but you celebrate Christmas; a christian festival - Christ's Mass etc yada yada" and the atheist will splutter "ah but Christmas has it roots in the pre-christian era blahdy blah"

I couldn't give a crap about what Christmas or Easter used to mean back in the bronze age. All I know is that as a kid Christmas meant time off school, exciting plastic crap and Mary Poppins, and Easter meant time off school, chocolate to the point of vomiting and possibly Mary Poppins. Now they both mean time off work and couch potating to copious quantities of DVDs. Is that worth celebrating? You bet your comfy bottom it is!

So Atheists, next time a holy buffoon accuses you of hypocrisy let's not get bogged down in the 'ah but history says' argument. The argument about whether God told Adam the first lie or whether the serpent was the good guy in their story book is much more fun.

Stratt
RE: Christmas
I just go about wishing all a

Joyous 'Chocolate Festival' for Easter...then back it up with the...c'mon you go to church?? and In Australia "Easter" is about the only time since Halloween that one can eat chocolate without the bugger melting in your hand!

As For "Christmas" it is Solstice and point out the FACT that the 'xtians" filched the idea from the pagans and for Aussies it is in the wrong season so just WTF are you celebrating??? It's Three weeks off from work and listening to children screaming regarding 'surprise packages' and Family and BBQs and Beach and Sun and Sand...I mean really....some fuck wit got born??? Big Deal..."just pass me another Cold one will you??'Devil
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Xmas is vile. Apart from time off work it's all a nightmare. Rushing about buying shit presents for people that you know they won't want, ending up skint. Cooking all day for one meal. Shite on telly. Boring family "get togethers". Over eating. And worst of all having to go church with my mom ( once a year to keep her happy). Sitting there listening to some twat droning on about fuck knows what. I bloody HATE Xmas I do
(July 6, 2010 at 7:37 am)mem Wrote: Xmas is vile. Apart from time off work it's all a nightmare. Rushing about buying shit presents for people that you know they won't want, ending up skint. Cooking all day for one meal. Shite on telly. Boring family "get togethers". Over eating. And worst of all having to go church with my mom ( once a year to keep her happy). Sitting there listening to some twat droning on about fuck knows what. I bloody HATE Xmas I do

Shit man ...where do you live??? Who cooks??? get a grip!Confusedhock:

Once a year we 'catch up' with the family on ONE day. Doesn't HAVE to be Xmouse but it is a regular thing for my family....then again if you can't make it it is no big deal, but then again my family does not have many "little ones" and really the whole present thing is for them. After all is said and done we don't get 'presents' for the "grown ups" because that is just silly (not to mention expensive...and who has money for that nowadays?)
DevilAngel Cloud
Nah..... once every six months is about all my family want ...we are very busy with our own lives and have no truck with this religious nonsense.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Bah humbug. I cook. It's expected. See
y family a lot but Xmas is "special" apparently
(July 6, 2010 at 8:12 am)mem Wrote: Bah humbug. I cook. It's expected. See
y family a lot but Xmas is "special" apparently

Sorry mem but my family don't. We'd be lucky to see each other every 6 months or more. So for the sake of the Mother we try to catch up with each other at least once a year. FaceBook is your friend. But then we are separated by a largish continent.

Surfice to say ...because the xtians make such a fuss we get time off work and are able to catch up with the relies if we want to.
I don't celebrate xmas or any holiday for that matter since I am aware that they are all bullshit and commercial enterprises. If my job gives me a day off fine, I take advantage of it and enjoy myself with my family, but it's not about Jesus or anything religious, it's about me and what is important to my family.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Well, I celebrate Christmas, and I admit that, as long as I live with my parents, there'll still be some Christianity in it, since, if my mother feels up to it, we even go to Church. I usually just rise and sit when I have to, and, when I sit, being deprived of decent music or reading material, and given little else to compensate, I usually just play five-finger fillet (or Knife in the Water, as I call it) with the golf pencils they put in pews. Hell, last year, I actually had a Christmas eve dinner at a diner with a priest (my grandfather is a deacon, and is, thus, close to the church.) I didn't say much, and just sat reading Jude the Obscure when I wasn't eating. As for the actual day itself, I can't complain. I got, among other things, a myPassport drive, a Velvet Underground Cd, and books by Bukowski.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Xmas is a commercial holiday.

Many cultures had start of winter celebrations. Early xtians just latched on to one and inserted their non-existent godboy into the picture.

Buying useless shit keeps the economy going. Hmmm.... useless shit - useless god. There seems to be a connection.
I celebrate Christmas, but not the Christian part of it. Christmas is about giving and getting gifts, not about some guy rising from the dead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2319 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Christmas grace Rahn127 5 1277 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25884 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14595 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Christmas Songs Divinity 45 7812 December 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1598 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed
  Atheist and Christmas MattB 34 5077 November 12, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christmas Sludgeman101 21 3298 May 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cato
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4180 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Atheists at Christmas Wunsbee 55 13799 December 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Cinjin