Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexuality
Homosexuality
Do you tend to agree with any beliefs relating to why homosexuality exists?

When I ask this I mean on any level.

Some people believe it's a choice, others that its biological, some people believe it's a mix of nature and nurture. Like some people believe the absence of a father figure or growing up with no females around like in prison or an all boys school.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Homosexuality
Whether it's something that happens in the womb, or a deeper genetic thing, I'm not sure. And I no longer really care. They exist. Adults should be able to do what they want, as long as everyone consents.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Smaller 'tribes' back when Darwin ruled fared better competing against other 'tribes' if they had extra males not obsessing over poontang all the time.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Homosexuality isn't a choice. Nobody can choose what they're attracted to.

Think it's a choice? Change your sexual attractions. Go on. Try it. You can't.

It wouldn't matter one fucking iota even if it were. Fuck anyone who thinks it's perverse. They're fucking shit-bag cunts who are a waste of space and oxygen. They're worthless twats who don't even deserve the love of their own mothers.
I don't think it's a choice. And while I agree with Chad that it should be allowed whether or not it's a choice, the fact that it isn't a choice makes prohibiting it cruel.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a nurture thing. If it were, it ought to be treatable, and it clearly isn't. Every time some quack proclaims a cure, the patients relapse, even when the quack and the patient are the same man.

There may be a genetic predisposition, but I don't think it's entirely genetic either. I think the environment in the uterus is the culprit. Pre-birth brain development is a complex play, and it doesn't take much to change it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I certainly don't think it's a choice. I don't know a lot else about how exactly it occurs.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm quite certain it's not a choice.  I should know.  Try growing up lesbian in a fundie household.

I think there is probably a genetic, or at least genetic/hormonal/developmental component.  (intelligent medical science types - please don't shoot me.  I'm a musician and a librarian. Clarification re: the proper terminology would be welcome.)  A LOT of the homosexual people that I know have a sibling who is also homosexual.  I also happen to know a set of identical twins - VERY identical.  One is straight, one is gay. I think that sometimes something in the home environment affects the outcome, . . . probably before puberty.  A lot of gays that I know tell me that they "knew" they were attracted to the same sex by the age of 12, or before.  I did.   

I rather envy bisexuals.  They can fall in love with anybody.  No fair.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
The more sons a given woman has the higher the incidence of homosexuality in subsequent off spring.

Seems a weird way for God to mete out a curse, don't it ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Oh, I guess we don't have to explain that, the CHRISTIANS do.

Leaving God out of that, in a smaller community, having 'many' sons (brothers) competing for females and 'over-representing' their genes in the next generation would/could be compensated/counteracted for/to a degree by evolving a trait for subsequent males born to a given female to have an increasing incidence of homosexuality.

The small community would benefit from less strife from the brothers competing for females, yet still benefit/enjoy the fruits of the labors of all of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexism - homosexuality Azu 67 9128 November 23, 2017 at 7:17 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  The evolutionary puzzle of homosexuality downbeatplumb 1 1488 February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 12611 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  Epigenetics Reveal Biological Information On Homosexuality Gooders1002 1 1565 March 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality TaraJo 16 6312 December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Homosexuality Tabby 198 72203 September 18, 2009 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Violet