Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is our purpose here on earth?
What is our purpose here on earth?
I'm interested in discussing this with you all here...

When you boil it down, humans exist for one reason only: to make more humans, either directly or indirectly. When you consider other animals, they reproduce in order to continue the lineage, possibly eat other animals, and provide food for other animals. Even at the top of the food chain, a dead animal clearly provides food. So they are part of a chain of dependencies. Humans are really no different in this respect, although the way we do this has far different impacts (a separate discussion).

If you do not have children, you still play a role. Your existence usually requires good and services from others, so you are creating demand. Your job may also enable the continuation of our species, such as being a doctor or teacher. Even if you do not have a job, you consume goods and services from people who exist, in part, to serve society.

Being an relatively new atheist, I no longer believe that we exist to glorify or serve something. We exist to make more of us.

I'd love to explore this more. Any thoughts?
RE: What is our purpose here on earth?
Our reason for being is a personal choice. We as a species don't have one singular purpose. We're all too different for that. Sex and reproduction are fundamental parts of us. It's what keeps the species going. Technically that is the reason we're all alive right now, but not a great reason for us to really live, in my opinion.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't think we have any inherent purpose. Reproducing is more like a biological imperative. One I don't personally have, I decided long ago I'm not having children.

I feel we are free to decide our own purpose, as individuals and as societies. The only one that makes sense to me is trying to live a happy life, while helping others to do the same. Looking after each other, and pursuing individual goals. Also, trying to leave the place better than when you found it, for future generations.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
We have the purpose we choose to pursue.
Meaning and purpose is individual, and personal. Purpose comes from our unique perspective on our life, and our decisions and commitments to various life paths. We are all under the umbrella of evolution in that our individual perspectives are driven by evolved traits, but that is all the contact we have between evolution and our purposes. Our purposes aren't entwined with the evolutionary process in a direct way.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
My purpose right now that the wee girl is sleeping is to drink a nice cool glass of Pinot Grigio along with some aged swiss cheese. Beats the hell out of serving the cosmic dictator
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

We are here to laugh at the odds,
And to live our lives so well
That death himself will tremble to take us
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
Our purpose is to have babies, but it doesn't mean need to all have babies. Look at the ants : one is laying eggs and all the others are doing other things... to serve that purpose.

As a species, it seems we are the only ones on Earth capable of colonizing other planets. It would serve the global purpose of living being, as it would allow to use more ressources to have more babies. So, it could be considered our purpose as a species to fulfill that biological role for our planet.

Lay an egg or pass it around.
I have nothing and many. What day is today?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:Our purpose is to have babies, but it doesn't mean need to all have babies. Look at the ants : one is laying eggs and all the others are doing other things... to serve that purpose.

As a species, it seems we are the only ones on Earth capable of colonizing other planets. It would serve the global purpose of living being, as it would allow to use more ressources to have more babies. So, it could be considered our purpose as a species to fulfill that biological role for our planet.

Lay an egg or pass it around.

Hmmmm. I'm disabled (crutches), and find that the pressure from society (which is able-bodied-dominated) is not to have babies, or really, to even have sexual thoughts (they don't have that much control IRL, but you get the picture).

Regardless, I don't care for kids, so I'll be willfully resigning to that pressure.

For me, our purpose is to do everything we can to stay alive. But honestly, Brittney Maynard may have proven that false.

I don't know, but I like life, so I'll stick around if that's OK with you all.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purpose in Life Clueless Morgan 51 5345 April 3, 2018 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4095 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument Against Divine Purpose MindForgedManacle 15 4254 October 23, 2013 at 1:32 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Purpose of life Mystic 37 14214 March 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Our Purpose In Life Loading Please Wait 80 14913 September 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Epimethean