Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the bloody point of it all?
What's the bloody point of it all?
WHats the point? Why bother? What makes anything worth a damn? Angry
RE: What's the bloody point of it all?
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
42, sex and chocolate?
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Sex, Drugs, & Rock-n-Roll?
(July 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Sex, Drugs, & Rock-n-Roll?

Ding, ding, ding, ding...we have a winner folks!!
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Life is pointless, doesn't mean we can't enjoy it.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
The meaning of life is to live. You make a purpose, a point, for yourself. If someone or something gave you that point, that purpose, that meaning, then you're not a free man, but a slave to their will. And now I'll quote 'Land of Confusion' for you:

"This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth living in"
What makes anything worth a damn?

Well, I'd say the value we put on it. Is raising a family worth a damn? I think so, because I put value on it, while others might not.

This can apply to anything and everything in life. I may not think that collecting trains is worth a damn, but someone else might because they value it.

YOU are what makes anything worth a damn.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(July 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm)mem Wrote: WHats the point? Why bother? What makes anything worth a damn? Angry

You know, I think the greatest contribution of atheism to society at large is that we have proven that we can live our lives as we see fit.
Humans do not have to apoligize for existing and we were not created to be a slave to any being, ideaology, or even purpose.
I revel in that there is no point to our lives because I am free to make my own.
I bother because I want to live.
I live because I damn well want to enjoy being alive while I have the chance.

Plus, what darwinian, paul, cego, and shinylight said are all examples of superb reasons.
Why do we have to assign a meaning to life or anything in it? I've always found the concept absurd. If there were a reason, that would suggest that we are here for a purpose, which, in turn, would suggest that we were put here. We weren't, so do whatever you want. Yay!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  whats the point in ironing cloths? Cepheus Ace 22 1245 April 2, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No point in eternal agony purplepurpose 141 15371 February 13, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  At What Point Does Activism Become Assholism? Shell B 39 4787 April 22, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  At some point "yes" needs to be regulated. Foxaèr 64 5496 March 30, 2016 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  At what point do you wash you ass? brewer 146 24115 December 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Everyone who posts on this thread will receive a +1 reputation point. Phatt Matt s 10 2819 April 28, 2014 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  LG-Con at Cedar Point! Creed of Heresy 13 3107 July 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Bloody B.T. Darwinian 3 998 October 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Those Awful Bloody Religious E-mails! Kyuuketsuki 9 3075 March 30, 2009 at 8:14 am
Last Post: athoughtfulman
  Ruddy bloody fookin' pop-ups Edwardo Piet 5 4207 October 19, 2008 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet