Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists Extract Images Directly From Brain
Scientists Extract Images Directly From Brain
This was posted over at the Atheistic Forums:

Quote:Scientists Extract Images Directly From Brain
12 Dec 2008

Researchers from Japan’s ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have developed new brain analysis technology that can reconstruct the images inside a person’s mind and display them on a computer monitor, it was announced on December 11. According to the researchers, further development of the technology may soon make it possible to view other people’s dreams while they sleep.

The scientists were able to reconstruct various images viewed by a person by analyzing changes in their cerebral blood flow. Using a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine, the researchers first mapped the blood flow changes that occurred in the cerebral visual cortex as subjects viewed various images held in front of their eyes. Subjects were shown 400 random 10 x 10 pixel black-and-white images for a period of 12 seconds each. While the fMRI machine monitored the changes in brain activity, a computer crunched the data and learned to associate the various changes in brain activity with the different image designs.

Then, when the test subjects were shown a completely new set of images, such as the letters N-E-U-R-O-N, the system was able to reconstruct and display what the test subjects were viewing based solely on their brain activity.

[Read The Rest Of The Article Here]

This is just awesome, I mean granted is a primitive implementation right now but give it time and we'll maybe be able to experience others dreams, perhaps cure diseases that we've never been truly able to deal with for lack of visualisation ... so damned cool!

Kyu
RE: Scientists Extract Images Directly From Brain
Tin foil hatters are going to have a field day with this one. "Soon they can read our thoughts". Big Grin
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 16, 2008 at 8:00 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Tin foil hatters are going to have a field day with this one. "Soon they can read our thoughts". Big Grin

Probably right, but I cant wait for the day this comes to fruition .
Hoi Zaeme.
Awesome! I love it when science fiction becomes reality Big Grin
(December 16, 2008 at 9:17 am)Tiberius Wrote: Awesome! I love it when science fiction becomes reality Big Grin

It's probably just looking back through rose-tinted spectacles but SF does seem to do that a fair bit.

Kyu
Its because scientists find themselves inspired by Star Trek.
Hoi Zaeme.
(December 16, 2008 at 10:11 am)rjh Wrote: Its because scientists find themselves inspired by Star Trek.

I'm sure some are but the more important question is, which series?

I'm very much a fan the original series.

Kyu
This is very interesting indeed if its really true! Blimey.
PZ has posted the results on Pharyngula as well, and it is a little early for an April fools joke so I guess they are serious.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Bloody hell!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Rebuttal To Creationists - "Since We Can't Directly Observe Evolution, It Never Happe QuackeryDetection 11 1299 May 14, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1009 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Our Wold may end, according to leading scientists. Jehanne 8 499 April 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 976 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 732 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 16479 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 490 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1759 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1010 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  PERVS beware, scientists are coming for you pigs! Alex K 4 841 August 13, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus