Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes a religion?
What makes a religion?
Religions are tricky things to nail down. I've been thinking about what makes a set of beliefs into a religion. What is the minimum requirement? Of course religions tend to make claims about the origin and/or nature of reality, but is that necessary?

The best I can come up with is that a religion must include firmly held beliefs that are speculative: beyond what can demonstrated to be (most likely) true.

If there is no speculation, then all you have is a set of evidence based beliefs. It would seem ridiculous to call that a religion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: What makes a religion?
Rituals are an important part of a religion. Certain motions, actions, words, songs, poses (kneeling, etc).
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Indeed, those are very common. But are they a necessity?

If I came up with my own new religion, what must it include to be counted as such?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(June 15, 2016 at 10:26 am)robvalue Wrote: Indeed, those are very common. But are they a necessity?

If I came up with my own new religion, what must it include to be counted as such?

Well.. I would say so, yeah.  I mean even praying or meditating is a ritual, or reciting a creed or something as simple as that.  Or wearing specific clothes, even.
- Thomas Jefferson
I'm about to say summin that I know just about every one of you will disagree with and I am sure in time and with more socialization with other atheists I will change my mind but here it is...

I know that the actual definition of religion is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. That being said I personally feel it is just a belief system. It doesn't have to be a god or directed at anything. My -belief- is there is no god, no afterlife, no such thing as souls etc. I believe this 100% but I will not straight forward tell someone that their beliefs are wrong. To me this is my belief system and that is all that it takes to make it 'a religion'. I mean they have that Jedi religion but that isn't directed at a god or anything is it? I honestly don't know please tell me lol
Government is a religion. Laws = commandments. Police = authority. Politicians = preachers. Elections and voting = ritual worship. Belief in a benevolent leader = belief in god.
(June 15, 2016 at 10:34 am)mlmooney89 Wrote: I'm about to say summin that I know just about every one of you will disagree with and I am sure in time and with more socialization with other atheists I will change my mind but here it is...

I know that the actual definition of religion is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. That being said I personally feel it is just a belief system. It doesn't have to be a god or directed at anything. My -belief- is there is no god, no afterlife, no such thing as souls etc. I believe this 100% but I will not straight forward tell someone that their beliefs are wrong. To me this is my belief system and that is all that it takes to make it 'a religion'. I mean they have that Jedi religion but that isn't directed at a god or anything is it? I honestly don't know please tell me lol

Here's the definition from Wikipedia.

Quote:Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practicesworld views,sacred texts, holy places, ethics, and societal organisation that relate humanity to what an anthropologist has called "an order of existence".Different religions may or may not contain various elements, ranging from the "divine", "sacred things", "", a "supernatural being or supernatural beings" or "...some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life."

Believing that there are no gods and no afterlife isn't a 'belief system.'  Those are just a few disparate beliefs you hold.  They don't proscribe actions or prohibit actions, they don't tell you how to live your life or set up some framework within which to view your place in the universe.  They don't have attendant practices or rituals or texts or places or organizations.

And religions don't have to be theistic (eg. Buddhism.) And the reason that Jedi is technically a religion (though many places don't consider it a religion in legal discussions much like they don't consider FSM), is because it does have prescriptive ideas and ways to live your life and rituals and texts and a way to view your place in the universe. Jedi isn't that much more ludicrous than a lot of Eastern religions.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 15, 2016 at 10:39 am)Spirian Wrote: Government is a religion. Laws = commandments. Police = authority. Politicians = preachers. Elections and voting = ritual worship. Belief in a benevolent leader = belief in god.

Ugh...
- Thomas Jefferson
[Image: cult.jpg]

[Image: quote-the-only-difference-between-a-cult...-92-40.jpg]

[Image: d04e7477f75b0e2c1194c5995f04f80a.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hmm...

I can see what FaF is saying. If you just have a load of weird beliefs but don't actually do anything with them, I suppose that wouldn't be considered a religion by most people.

So if I believe the Earth is constantly in imminent danger of turning into a grape, and I have to do this weird dance every day to stop it happening, can that be a religion?

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2701 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7224 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 31597 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  Really makes you think Astonished 7 1925 September 25, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  What makes Christian God so special? causal code 16 4547 August 25, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4868 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19598 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Religion makes sense Mystic 45 9251 July 2, 2015 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Video Being "Moderately Religious" Makes no sense Mental Outlaw 10 2297 January 27, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Chad32