Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The mind brain connection
The mind brain connection
It used to be thought that we had an immaterial essence independent of our material bodies. The so called soul of substance dualism. We now know that this is false and the mind (a term which seems to have replaced the soul) is infact hardwired to our bodies, that is we cannot exist without the material hardware of the brain. This is best seen in the advances of modern medical science. There are many unfortunate cases of people suffering brain injury and their personality changing. Clearly if we had an immaterial essence this would be untroubled by brain injury. So two problems for Christians : 1) what part of us survives death, 2) god is envisaged as an immaterial mind which there is evidence against.
RE: The mind brain connection
Mt 22:37 “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

'Mind' never replaced 'Soul'. I've heard that a lot, and consider it a misconception.
(August 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Mt 22:37 “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

'Mind' never replaced 'Soul'. I've heard that a lot, and consider it a misconception.

Thanks frodo I didn't know that verse. So to help what is the soul and what is the mind and which if any survive death? Surely if we survive death it is the mind? However can we answer the problem above? Because in any case the problem is still there soul and/or mind. In addition the problem of a disembodied mind being falsified ( ie god) is unaddressed.
Ok talking xtian theology...

The soul is : independent of the physical body; timeless; influenced by us; can contain God.

Nothing of the mind survives death.

Quote:The problem of a disembodied mind being falsified ( ie god) is unaddressed.
This is a deliberate part of the religious construct. ie the falsification should not be possible according to the reasoning of the construct.
(August 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Ok talking xtian theology...

The soul is : independent of the physical body; timeless; influenced by us; can contain God.

Nothing of the mind survives death.

Quote:The problem of a disembodied mind being falsified ( ie god) is unaddressed.
This is a deliberate part of the religious construct. ie the falsification should not be possible according to the reasoning of the construct.
So in your view if the argument goes through for the falsification of a disembodied mind, does this falsify the god concept?
In addition if the mind does not survive death, does the soul? If so what essence of our being is preserved?

If nothing of the mind survives death, it's not meaningful to say that we survive death. Everything we associate with a person is a part of his or her mind: personality, intelligence, emotions, etc. A disembodied spirit may as well be anybody.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Quote:Nothing of the mind survives death.

Fixed that for you, Frods.
Sorry I don't know If I was clear there. The soul, as well as God, should not be externally verifiable according to the construct of the religion.

No I don't think that the mind survives death, as it's co-existent with the physical. I think the soul is the essence of our being. It's part of our physical makeup that is influenced by us and outlives us. I think it's the aspect of humans alluded to by references to "man in God's image".

(August 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: If nothing of the mind survives death, it's not meaningful to say that we survive death. Everything we associate with a person is a part of his or her mind: personality, intelligence, emotions, etc. A disembodied spirit may as well be anybody.
Spirit and soul are two different things. The soul is an attempt to describe what is the essence of you, and not what is contained within your mind.
Quote:It used to be thought that we had an immaterial essence independent of our material bodies. The so called soul of substance dualism. We now know that this is false and the mind (a term which seems to have replaced the soul) is infact hardwired to our bodies, that is we cannot exist without the material hardware of the brain. This is best seen in the advances of modern medical science. There are many unfortunate cases of people suffering brain injury and their personality changing. Clearly if we had an immaterial essence this would be untroubled by brain injury. So two problems for Christians : 1) what part of us survives death, 2) god is envisaged as an immaterial mind which there is evidence against.

The idea that our soul goes to some sought of after life is based on pagan understanding what happens when you die. What you will see throughout the entire Ot and NT is that the Jews either believed that nothing happened when you died (Sadducces) or that there was an afterlife (Pharisees). For Hebrew theology a body + breath of life, created a LIVING soul (Genesis 2:7). If you dont have a body, you have no soul. It was only until Christianity lost its Jewish roots and became pagan that the idea of ones soul going to an afterlife became mainstream in Christianity.

I persoanally believe that when one dies they are dead, or sleeping, untill Jesus returns.
Through out the NT the early Christians rarely wrote about heaven. Their wait and anticipation was based on the second coming of Jesus, the resurrection.
Note: Revelation does not describe heaven either, only the new Earth. (Revelation 21)
solja247, what is this 'sleeping' dead person and what happens when Jesus comes back? Do you mean people will be made alive again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mental gymnastics from the brain-eating religion FredTheLobster 13 1441 June 28, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Frank Apisa
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 8582 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2120 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4483 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5170 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain SerenelyBlue 111 12551 September 20, 2016 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  If God changed his mind Lemonvariable72 204 34525 August 31, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Fear your mind for it is hell urlawyer 17 3742 April 23, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Richard Carrier - The Romulus/Jesus Myth Connection Minimalist 0 4814 November 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Gay in not only a choice, but a mind control influence in children. Zidneya 12 3131 July 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Dystopia