Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, shit! This is an expensive new hobby, OMFG !
Oh, shit! This is an expensive new hobby, OMFG !
Ooofda.

On a lark, I recently took a ride on a vintage aircraft.  It was less than $100, and wow, it was really fun.  It went about 20 minutes, and we flew over SW Omaha, low and slow.

The plane was 88 years old, but damn, it was built like a freaking tank.  I walked around and noted it had the aerodynamics of a brick, and was just heavy looking.  Getting on board for the ride I noted the airframe was quite rigid, none of this Piper Cub flimsy shit, this was a brawny, stout plane !!

We took off, and I had a feeling from the huge wing area the take off speed was going to be quite leisurely and it was.  The plane actually accelerated in a snappy fashion, and it climbed quickly to I'm estimating 1000' m/l.

I noted we took off east of 132nd, and were headed towards 144th.  The cars on streets below headed west (in town, mind you) seemed to be going nearly as fast as we were.  I also noted when the pilot throttled back a bit when we got to the desired altitude, the plane immediately stopped climbing and held the altitude.  We flew west, then made a gradual turn to the south then the east.  I 'discovered' a lake in West O I was unaware of, LOL.  And the extent of the suburban sprawl was evident in all directions.  We never got as far west as the Elkhorn/Platte, but that was OK.  I saw an office park just east of 217th I was familiar with.  On the way back I could see hiway 370. 

As we neared the airport, as soon as the pilot pulled back the throttles, the plane immediately slowed and started down.  This plane, with it's brick-like aerodynamics does not seem to coast or glide.

At all.

Anyhow, we crossed I-80 and headed into the airport, and kissed the runway just as gentle as you please.  The two main landing wheels screeched simultaneously, and a couple seconds later, the tail wheel did the same.

We leisurely rolled out, then turned back towards the parking area for the plane, near the ticket and pre-flight tents.

The ride was really smooth, air conditions were benign, some lumpy clouds above us around 2-3000' AGL.  Unlike modern airliners, this plane has wings with zero flexing, they were rigid throughout the flight.

I can't strees enough how fun it was, and despite the plane being 88 years young, it wasn't scary at all.

[Image: Trimotor.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Oh, shit! This is an expensive new hobby, OMFG !
Anyhow, what makes it an expensive hobby is what's coming up this weekend . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

That sounds awesome. And very expensive. A cocaine habit might be cheaper.
Well, there aren't too many planes available for rides to the public, and of the ones available, I'm going to be a little picky. There will be a Stearman (biplane, open cockpit) and a P51 Mustang this weekend, and I have precious little interest in riding in either of them.

[shudder]

The one I signed up for is a little bigger . . .

Really? I'd pay good money to fly in. P-51 and the Stearman is classic fun.

Too small for you?
How big?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Well, the bigger one is kinda special.

I don't suppose they would let me bring a nuke, but, the plane is a contender . . .

BTW, a 50 minute ride in the P-51 is nearly $3000 . . .

Was the first one a Ford Tri like the pic you have? 

I know some about airplanes. I like VLJs (very light jets) these days (google that). But my uncle works at Boeing, and I loved airline travel as a kid (Lockheed L1011's down to De Havilland Dash 7's. It was all fascinating to me). 

Being in California, a lot of our firefighting is done by airplane. I'm fascinated by this intersection of aviation and fire/rescue, another interest of mine. 

We got some biggun's we can lease;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiu-q3r-Qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-86qVz2V_w
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 16, 2016 at 1:58 am)vorlon13 Wrote: BTW, a 50 minute ride in the P-51 is nearly $3000 . . .

Yikes. Yeah, more expensive than blow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time for some Halloween shit. brewer 142 5101 November 4, 2023 at 4:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1970 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  What we really lost in all this shit... Gawdzilla Sama 7 1140 April 20, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Anal Intercourse is a Dangerous Hobby Agnostico 153 8535 February 16, 2020 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5733 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2062 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 3050 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am
  Maybe the Shit should hit the Fan fromdownunder 2 527 September 12, 2018 at 6:03 am
  Well, Stormy...He IS An Old Sack of Shit Minimalist 11 1360 August 28, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  No Shit! Minimalist 10 1198 August 15, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: vorlon13