Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presumptive at mom's rehab....
Presumptive at mom's rehab....
Nobody is or should ask for the forced end of religion, but damn it, don't fucking presume what a patient believes or wants. So today my mom was out of her room, I went out for lunch, come back to find to bible magazines on her table. I know my mom, if she wants something she will ask for it. That shit pisses me off. Besides, it is rehab, not a church.
RE: Presumptive at mom's rehab....
Throw them in the trash?
(August 23, 2016 at 5:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Throw them in the trash?

No, they were not new so I am assuming they are taken back after reading, I simply took them to the activity room. If it is free shit they don't intend on taking back I would, but without knowing I don't do that. But yea, would still feel like throwing it out.
Print out some atheist literature and leave it lying around here and there.
(August 23, 2016 at 6:23 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Print out some atheist literature and leave it lying around here and there.

That's a fantastic idea!
(August 23, 2016 at 6:23 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Print out some atheist literature and leave it lying around here and there.

Not while my mom is staying there.
(August 23, 2016 at 4:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Nobody is or should ask for the forced end of religion, but damn it, don't fucking presume what a patient believes or wants. So today my mom was out of her room, I went out for lunch, come back to find to bible magazines on her table. I know my mom, if she wants something she will ask for it. That shit pisses me off. Besides, it is rehab, not a church.

I'm sure your main concern now is probably getting your mom better but you might have said something to the rehab facility staff. If it's not a religiously affiliated facility, they need to be aware that patients and their families aren't interested in religious proselytizing while they're recovering.

My daughter came home from public school one day in first grade with a tote bag with an evangelist church's logo on it. After I took a deep breath and stepped away from the email before hitting "send", I thought I would just keep close eye and see if this was a pattern or some random event. We never got anything religious after that so maybe it was some staff member who had some excess bags and gave them away.
But at the rehab facility, it's likely a pattern of proselytizing.

The last few hotels I've stayed at didn't have bibles slipped into the night stands. Maybe people complained or used them as toilet paper? Whatever the reason, I'm glad not to see them anymore.
(August 23, 2016 at 8:35 pm)Tres Leches Wrote:
(August 23, 2016 at 4:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Nobody is or should ask for the forced end of religion, but damn it, don't fucking presume what a patient believes or wants. So today my mom was out of her room, I went out for lunch, come back to find to bible magazines on her table. I know my mom, if she wants something she will ask for it. That shit pisses me off. Besides, it is rehab, not a church.

I'm sure your main concern now is probably getting your mom better but you might have said something to the rehab facility staff. If it's not a religiously affiliated facility, they need to be aware that patients and their families aren't interested in religious proselytizing while they're recovering.

My daughter came home from public school one day in first grade with a tote bag with an evangelist church's logo on it. After I took a deep breath and stepped away from the email before hitting "send", I thought I would just keep close eye and see if this was a pattern or some random event. We never got anything religious after that so maybe it was some staff member who had some excess bags and gave them away.

The last few hotels I've stayed at didn't have bibles slipped into the night stands. Maybe people complained or used them as toilet paper? Whatever the reason, I'm glad not to see them anymore.

That might work in a blue state, but I am in the south full of religious nuts. I am not going to do anything to jeopardize her safety. She and I don't even share our social media pages, not that she uses hers much. I see her everyday and call her every day anyway. Yea but I agree, religion preys off the vulnerable.
Black out all of the eyes in the magazines while "doodling".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 23, 2016 at 9:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 23, 2016 at 8:35 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: I'm sure your main concern now is probably getting your mom better but you might have said something to the rehab facility staff. If it's not a religiously affiliated facility, they need to be aware that patients and their families aren't interested in religious proselytizing while they're recovering.

That might work in a blue state, but I am in the south full of religious nuts. I am not going to do anything to jeopardize her safety. She and I don't even share our social media pages, not that she uses hers much. I see her everyday and call her every day anyway. Yea but I agree, religion preys off the vulnerable.

Well, you do what you need to do to help your mom get better. As I mentioned, I'm sure this is your paramount concern, as it should be. You might be surprised though - I'm sure you're not the only atheist staying under the radar in your red state.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mom is 102! Gwaithmir 20 1501 September 23, 2023 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  My mom would be pissed at me. Brian37 4 492 October 23, 2019 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 635 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  My mom is dying, going to need an ear. Brian37 230 28965 May 13, 2018 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Who do you like more Mom or Dad? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 3311 October 19, 2017 at 10:55 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  What does your mom/grandma bake for you? mcolafson 24 2009 January 3, 2017 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Ive lost all trust for my mom Socratic Meth Head 61 5950 June 2, 2016 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Alex K
  My Mom is so cute. Brian37 6 1280 March 22, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Panic: my mom showed up in the suggested people on my fake facebook DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 29 4065 December 8, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Mom wont let me go to church trip ashbagashba 17 3545 August 7, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb