Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mom is 102!
Mom is 102!
We celebrated my mother's 102nd birthday last week. My sister baked a carrot cake, Mom's favorite. Mom is getting rather frail now and she will probably have to go into a nursing home in a few months. She can no longer play Mahjong due to failing eyesight. She has lived a long prosperous life, having outlived all the friends and relatives she grew up with.  Heart
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Mom is 102!
That's amazing! Very glad you still have her and she has family who obviously love her dearly.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Congratulations to your mom. I must say that I never met a person who is 100 years young or over.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
That's a big wow; good for you. You are very lucky to have had her in your life for so long.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
That's awesome.

May she have many more.
Dying to live, living to die.
I went to Mom's for lunch last Monday. She was alert and talkative during the meal, but wanted to take a nap afterward. My brother, sister and I played our usual Mahjong game. I had to leave around mid-afternoon because my hands were starting to hurt and my absorbent briefs needed changing. My sister had to leave early too because her husband is in the hospital.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Congrats to having a strong blood line. One of my grandmothers is still alive. Documentation is questionable but we generally claim her to be 108. She was born in Ireland centuries ago.
(May 15, 2023 at 8:37 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: We celebrated my mother's 102nd birthday last week. My sister baked a carrot cake, Mom's favorite. Mom is getting rather frail now and she will probably have to go into a nursing home in a few months. She can no longer play Mahjong due to failing eyesight. She has lived a long prosperous life, having outlived all the friends and relatives she grew up with.  Heart
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HER !!!
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

There's a resident at the facility where i work who is 102.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Mom is now in a nursing home in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. She had some anxieties about being there at first, but now seems to be completely enjoying her surroundings. My brother and I visited her last Monday and she was in good spirits. We'll be there again next Monday, along with our sister.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My mom would be pissed at me. Brian37 4 509 October 23, 2019 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 650 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  My mom is dying, going to need an ear. Brian37 230 29575 May 13, 2018 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Who do you like more Mom or Dad? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 3380 October 19, 2017 at 10:55 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  What does your mom/grandma bake for you? mcolafson 24 2041 January 3, 2017 at 10:04 am
  Presumptive at mom's rehab.... Brian37 11 2243 August 24, 2016 at 9:07 am
  Ive lost all trust for my mom Socratic Meth Head 61 6188 June 2, 2016 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Alex K
  My Mom is so cute. Brian37 6 1301 March 22, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Panic: my mom showed up in the suggested people on my fake facebook DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 29 4127 December 8, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Mom wont let me go to church trip ashbagashba 17 3628 August 7, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb