Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:07 pm

Poll: What is your reaction to the song?
This poll is closed.
a) She is a typical ball-biting, fem-nazi bitch, nuff said?
26.67%
4 26.67%
b) Seems a little whiny.
13.33%
2 13.33%
c) I can appreciate where she is coming from.
33.33%
5 33.33%
d) Fuck yeah, sister. Tell it!
0%
0 0%
e) Spin it your own way. Rant away.
26.67%
4 26.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sexism/feminism: what's your reaction to this song?
Sexism/feminism: what's your reaction to this song?
Feminism seems to come in for some hard knocks wherever atheists gather.  So I thought I'd ask you to listen to this song I just came across and see what your reaction might be?

Oh what the hell.  Simple enough to make a poll about it but feel free to go off on a tirade as the spirit moves you.

Poll question?:  What is your reaction to the song?

a)  She is a typical ball-biting, fem-nazi bitch, nuff said?

b)  Seems a little whiny.

c)  I can appreciate where she is coming from.

d)  Fuck yeah, sister.  Tell it!

https://youtu.be/GuG8dMulga4
RE: Sexism/feminism: what's your reaction to this song?
First of all men don't catcall that much. A women walked around for 10 HOURS and recived a few "hey, good mornin'"'s

And why can't I call you honey, I won't be rude.
It just means I think you look nice.

Calling someone honey is not sexist.
Saying a woman can't go to school is sexist.
Saying a woman "asked for it" is sexist.

Sweet and subtle compliments on your appearance is not sexist.
She should get her priorities straight.

I'd say calling a lady "honey" isn't a thing you can take for granted as being welcome. I know women for whom it is welcome from some of us and not from others. If you don't know where you stand and guess wrong you might give offense. Doesn't make her wrong. She is just a separate person from you with her own expectations and interpretations. Not every woman wants constant reassurance that you find her mate-able.
(August 26, 2016 at 11:55 pm)Whateverist Wrote: I'd say calling a lady "honey" isn't a thing you can take for granted as being welcome.  I know women for whom it is welcome from some of us and not from others.  If you don't know where you stand and guess wrong you might give offense.  Doesn't make her wrong.  She is just a separate person from you with her own expectations and interpretations.  Not every woman wants constant reassurance that you find her mate-able.

Well I said not every man thinks the same way but most of the time they aren't constantly reassuring the ladies. If someone gets repetitive then they're the weird minority but from this song it seems like theirs some 3rd wave feminism going on.

I can't be sure but it's what it seems like and I can't ask her irl so I have to judge the video superficially.

I understand she's different but if she's gonna take the time to write about this it probably means that...

1) She gets catcalled very often in an offensive manner (unlikely, men aren't all like that. Atleast the majority.)
or
2) She's biased in someway or another.
or lastly
3) She interprets things like "Good morning honey." in an offensive manner mostly.

But I don't know these are my suggestions and I am open to enlightenment.

And it's kind of a form of courtesy to say "honey" in some situations.
Not to waitresses or things of such but maybe if you see some one on the street just complement them and go on with your day and make her smile.

Otherwise it is rude, but it's not common.
Women do the same to. Just not as often, but more... Effectively per se.

Oooooh, I love sexist bingo!

I'm gonna go with option e: song sucks.   That's all, it just plain sucks.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 27, 2016 at 12:16 am)Rhythm Wrote: Oooooh, I love sexist bingo!

I;m gonna go with option e: song sucks.   That's all, it just plain sucks.

The lack of effort makes it seem like see wants recognition.

But who am I to say anything.

I can play multiple instruments but never made a song.
About sexism atleast.

(August 26, 2016 at 11:55 pm)Whateverist Wrote: I'd say calling a lady "honey" isn't a thing you can take for granted as being welcome.  I know women for whom it is welcome from some of us and not from others.  If you don't know where you stand and guess wrong you might give offense.  Doesn't make her wrong.  She is just a separate person from you with her own expectations and interpretations.  Not every woman wants constant reassurance that you find her mate-able.

Honestly I'm torn about the sentiments in the lyrics. I understand where quite a bit of her gripes come from, but, honestly, the fact that a lot of the things she complains about are meant as unalloyed compliments really brings to the forefront an extremely depressing fact about today's left: many sectors have become just as reactionary as the right-wingers they fight against (see the "Ban Bossy" movement), trying to create a society that's more restrictive, but ultimately more pleasing to their preferred set of social norms, albeit in far less productive (though just as annoying) ways than their counterpoints on the right. It's honestly the sort of thing that makes people think "is there any point in not being a misogynist, racist, jerkass, FSTDT-quote-originator-in-the-making?" But, of course the answer to that is simple: It's ridiculous.

You know, Rick Nelson had a crucial point to say about situations and people like this: "It's Alright now/ I Learned my Lesson well/ See, You can't please everyone,/ so you've got to please yourself."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECmjB9df0w

Also, what is that Cello she's playing?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Yeah, I liked the cello. It's electric apparently.

As to the sexism question, there is something vexing about someone made up and looking sexily into the camera to make the video singing about how the attention is so unwelcome. A little discordant. I'd be curious to get the female perspective.
I'm all for second wave feminism though.

Even though theirs not much to say.

There's not even a gender pay wage gap.

I wonder if I'd like it any better sung while wearing a Birka? Nope, not worth it just to avoid a little conflict.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture larson 107 22301 May 18, 2017 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3598 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Periods, body positivity, and third wave feminism BrokenQuill92 143 11791 February 8, 2017 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Modern Feminism BrokenQuill92 27 4604 April 23, 2014 at 1:56 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  leftism feminism and nazism your thoughts nintendo048 104 13651 March 13, 2014 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Darth
Bug Ukraine on Verge of Fascist Reaction! EgoRaptor 1 1092 February 21, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Is it sexist to criticize feminism? Lemonvariable72 84 13957 February 3, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Feminism is as Awful as Homophobia EgoRaptor 120 19817 January 30, 2014 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Over-reaction or Justified Punishment? Cinjin 17 3133 October 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The reemerging of feminism in politics Something completely different 16 3881 June 8, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Savannahw