Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling my family?
Telling my family?
So my whole family (at least my parents and grandparents) are Christian, leaving me the only atheist (that I know of). I'm not sure whether I should tell them. My parents are less religious than my grandparents, so they would probably handle this better. I really don't want to keep going to church, but we're part of that community, I have friends there, we volunteer and I love the fall festival they put on. On the other side, I just don't agree with them anymore. Sorry for the run-on post and thanks for helping me out!
Ayyyyyyy!
RE: Telling my family?
Hi CloverGrace, nice to have you here!
It really depends on a lot of factors.
Are you economically dependent on them at least for the forseeable future? How much do you suffer from the Christian schtick? How Christian are they, would they likely just mildly disapprove, or disown you? Would it throw your Grandmother into a deep spiritual crisis? Do you have atheist family members and how did it work out for them?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 27, 2016 at 4:24 pm)Alex K Wrote: Hi CloverGrace, nice to have you here!
It really depends on a lot of factors.
Are you economically dependent on them at least for the foreseeable future? How much do you suffer from the Christian schtick? How Christian are they, would they likely just mildly disapprove, or disown you? Would it throw your Grandmother into a deep spiritual crisis? Do you have atheist family members and how did it work out for them?

I suppose that unless I get a scholarship, I'll need them fro college money.  They probably wouldn't disown me, hopefully they would accept it. I'm honestly too worried to tell my grandparents. I don't know any other atheists. Thanks for your help though!
Ayyyyyyy!
There's no shame in keeping it on the down-low for the time being unless you are severely troubled by something and feel the need to fight back.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Probably not worth the trouble.
I can't tell you how to handle this. That's a personal decision when you are younger because there's possible consequences for coming out at your age. You know your parents better than any of us do. If you don't think they'll handle it well, then there's nothing wrong with playing along until you are older. Otherwise, it's always good to have more out atheists around.

Good luck!
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I'd really suggest waiting till you are able to move out and take care of yourself before telling them. Your parents might not disown you, but they or your grandparents will probably do their best to drag you back and that can be pretty annoying to live with if not downright dangerous. So it's best to wait till you can get out if you need to.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 27, 2016 at 4:20 pm)CloverGrace Wrote: So my whole family (at least my parents and grandparents) are Christian, leaving me the only atheist (that I know of). I'm not sure whether I should tell them. My parents are less religious than my grandparents, so they would probably handle this better. I really don't want to keep going to church, but we're part of that community, I have friends there, we volunteer and I love the fall festival they put on. On the other side, I just don't agree with them anymore. Sorry for the run-on post and thanks for helping me out!

Well after I came out as atheist I was threatened to be disowned but my family is like, really really bad.

But don't fear, I'm also the only atheist in my family.

So far only my mum (and her parents), step dad, and step brothers and friends know.

My family is really big.
On my dads side I only know 400 out of ???(?).

So I can't tell them all.
Even if I did they won't show up to my wedding because this dude...
He married a Chinese christian and his direct bloodline didn't show up. I showed up for the food at the time.

And now onto you...

If your parents can handle it you should tell them instead of keeping secrets which have a mental impact on you later in life.

But if your grandparents ever ask your parents or you why you don't show up to church. Just tell your parents to tell them or you to tell them that "(You) have been very busy lately" or something like that. I simply just "boycotted" my parents and didn't give a fuck about what they thought.

But you seem nice and not someone who'd rebel for your beliefs. But I don't know.
If you truly don't give a fuck but still want to be a part of the community. Then tell anyone who would give a fuck and let them know who you truly are.

And maybe you can spread the word.

Thank you so much for your responses. They really helped me a lot.
Ayyyyyyy!
See if you can find a job that keeps you busy on Sunday mornings.

That gets you out of wasting your time in a church and you can make a few bucks doing it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1825 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2382 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5354 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3149 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4326 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2810 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7029 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3320 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  How do you deal with a religious family? badlydrawngirl 68 15677 September 24, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Dealing with Religious Family Members Geekyalbatross 10 3026 September 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti