Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most US Vets Don't Get What's Really Sacred
Most US Vets Don't Get What's Really Sacred
It's not a cloth, a bellicose song or any other symbol. It's what that symbology stands for. Chief amongst that (IMO) is freedom of speech. All of our other rights have their origin in ideas put forth through speech. They need to be defended by speech to survive. I wouldn't want to lose any of my rights as an American but the one I'd hate to lose most is free speech. Lose that all the other freedoms are in jeopardy.

You would think the uber-nationalist vets who always get their panties tied up in a wad when someone like the SF 49ers QB uses a national symbol like the national anthem to make a point would get this. We didn't serve in the military to defend symbols.

The symbols of different countries stand for different things but in the case of the USA, if you make the symbols sacred, you tarnish what the symbols stand for. Because the symbols of the USA stand for the fact that nothing is above criticism - including of course, the symbols. Unlike the kings and queens of old who could have you executed for insulting them, no aspect or entity of the US Government is above criticism. That's what keeps it good! The moment you make it sacred and above criticism, the moment it begins to corrupt.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir in this forum but I had to get if off my chest. I'm a veteran and a war-time veteran at that and I say more power to 49er QB for sitting during the anthem to protest murderous police. I'm so sick to death of the song anyway. The last time I liked it was when it was sung by Leslie Nielson as Frank Drebbin as Enrico Palatzo.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Most US Vets Don't Get What's Really Sacred
Quote:You would think the uber-nationalist vets who always get their panties tied up in a wad when someone like the SF 49ers QB uses a national symbol like the national anthem to make a point would get this.

That may be what they say, but deep down I suspect this is closer to the truth of the matter.

[Image: 0ac69b70dfbeb3d22756f3d84dd1f014.jpg]
I loathe the 49ers and I hope the Legion of Boom eats Kaerpernick's lunch, but as a veteran I fully support what he's doing.
I'm cool with him doing that -- expressing one's views is the best thanks I can hope to get for my service. It's a big reason why I served, and the predicate for the oath we swore -- to defend the Constitution.

As a Cowboys fan, I don't really mind a Niner getting hammered, though.

It is a little odd to see people get riled up over protesting regarding the flag or national anthem, when one of the first things those things are supposed to stand for is the freedom to protest.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 31, 2016 at 11:30 pm)Chad32 Wrote: It is a little odd to see people get riled up over protesting regarding the flag or national anthem, when one of the first things those things are supposed to stand for is the freedom to protest.

People just don't seem to think of that. I'll never forget my NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) Leadership School in the US Air Force. Out of a class of thirty+, I was one of three who vigorously opposed the latest (at the time in 1991) proposed anti flag-burning Constitutional Amendment. We three were also opposed by the instructor. It bugged the shit out of me. How could you serve, sworn to defend the Republic from all enemies, foreign and domestic - while opposing the signatory principle of the Republic - Freedom of Speech.

I think one of the things a lot of people don't get is that when people freely speak their minds, they might say things you don't like. That's when freedom of speech is MOST needed! Freedom of speech would be pretty useless if it was limited by what the majority agreed with! Freedom of speech means freedom to vent ANY opinion. It loses its power and relevance otherwise.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Football fans seem to be outraged.  Vets it seems are stepping up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vete...2de09325f4?

Quote:U.S. Veterans Are Coming To Colin Kaepernick’s Defense In Droves

Quote:Large numbers of Americans have continued to criticize Kaepernick in the days after his comments. But a noteworthy group has also started to speak up in his defense: veterans themselves. Over the last day, military veterans have taken to Twitter and other social media in support not only of Kaepernick’s right to free speech, but of the particulars of his message, too.
“If you haven’t served, don’t speak on my behalf,” one veteran wrote.
“I serve for his right to protest.. I don’t serve for Police Brutality..” another wrote.
I am a US military veteran and I support this player of a sport that I give 0 fucks about. I will stand up for your rights, but I won't bother watching you throw your awkward wobbly ball around. Go exercise your freedom that I sweated and groaned for.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(August 31, 2016 at 11:57 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(August 31, 2016 at 11:30 pm)Chad32 Wrote: It is a little odd to see people get riled up over protesting regarding the flag or national anthem, when one of the first things those things are supposed to stand for is the freedom to protest.

People just don't seem to think of that. I'll never forget my NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) Leadership School in the US Air Force. Out of a class of thirty+, I was one of three who vigorously opposed the latest (at the time in 1991) proposed anti flag-burning Constitutional Amendment. We three were also opposed by the instructor. It bugged the shit out of me. How could you serve, sworn to defend the Republic from all enemies, foreign and domestic - while opposing the signatory principle of the Republic - Freedom of Speech.

I think one of the things a lot of people don't get is that when people freely speak their minds, they might say things you don't like. That's when freedom of speech is MOST needed! Freedom of speech would be pretty useless if it was limited by what the majority agreed with! Freedom of speech means freedom to vent ANY opinion. It loses its power and relevance otherwise.

I was in at the time too, and had probably the same arguments you did.

Found it disturbing that they thought so little of their oaths, but I reckoned that I'd work to try to change their minds, and exude myself confidence that liberty wins out. But the knee-jerk is strong in those of us trained to march. Hard to get past.

(September 1, 2016 at 12:33 am)Minimalist Wrote: Football fans seem to be outraged.  Vets it seems are stepping up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vete...2de09325f4?

Quote:U.S. Veterans Are Coming To Colin Kaepernick’s Defense In Droves

Quote:Large numbers of Americans have continued to criticize Kaepernick in the days after his comments. But a noteworthy group has also started to speak up in his defense: veterans themselves. Over the last day, military veterans have taken to Twitter and other social media in support not only of Kaepernick’s right to free speech, but of the particulars of his message, too.
“If you haven’t served, don’t speak on my behalf,” one veteran wrote.
“I serve for his right to protest.. I don’t serve for Police Brutality..” another wrote.

Hell yeah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lincoln Project/Vote Vets ad, featuring Sully..... Brian37 18 1336 September 30, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Sal
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1234 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Just Don't Get Sick! Minimalist 6 846 June 19, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  I really don't understand NuclearEnergy 15 5543 July 4, 2017 at 9:45 am
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  I Really Don't Know Who Is Dumber Minimalist 5 1005 April 22, 2017 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I really don't know what to think anymore NuclearEnergy 10 2489 February 15, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  One of the most Ethical (and most lied about) political leader Foxaèr 55 5540 July 31, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Apparently I need to hope I don't ever get robbed according to gun nuts GoHalos1993 119 10618 June 15, 2016 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  I just don't get it… BrokenQuill92 15 2145 September 29, 2015 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The Men's Rights Movement: I Just Don't Get It. Bipolar Bob 119 24268 November 10, 2013 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Zazzy