Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP/Trump are living in the past.
GOP/Trump are living in the past.
The nation no matter how you slice it isn't going to stay red. Many deeply red states are now pink. New poll shows Hillary 1 point ahead in TEXAS and only 2 points behind in Mississippi. Now I don't fool myself into thinking she will win those states. But it does indicate that our nation isn't as fundy as the GOP would have us believe.

This is what progress looks like. This is how humans gave up on the dark ages. This progress is why we no longer have slaves and women can vote. Now there really is only 1 reason Trump is doing so well, and none of it has to do with anything of substance or economics. He panders to fear of change and nothing more. If we want to keep that progress going, then we cannot take it for granted. 

I urge all those who know and accept Trump as the dangerous vile scapegoating demagogue he has proven to be, to take time every day as much as possible to speak out on all local media, newspapers TV as well as national media. We cannot let a WW2 demagogue reverse human progress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...story.html
RE: GOP/Trump are living in the past.
(September 6, 2016 at 10:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: The nation no matter how you slice it isn't going to stay red. Many deeply red states are now pink. New poll shows Hillary 1 point ahead in TEXAS and only 2 points behind in Mississippi. Now I don't fool myself into thinking she will win those states. But it does indicate that our nation isn't as fundy as the GOP would have us believe.

This is what progress looks like. This is how humans gave up on the dark ages. This progress is why we no longer have slaves and women can vote. Now there really is only 1 reason Trump is doing so well, and none of it has to do with anything of substance or economics. He panders to fear of change and nothing more. If we want to keep that progress going, then we cannot take it for granted. 

I urge all those who know and accept Trump as the dangerous vile scapegoating demagogue he has proven to be, to take time every day as much as possible to speak out on all local media, newspapers TV as well as national media. We cannot let a WW2 demagogue reverse human progress.

There is no single strategy to approach all the nation's affairs.  In management and leadership classes we learned the best approach to deal with the myriad of situations we face is an eclectic approach.  Some situations may call for a progressive approach because the current system isn't working well or in order to keep up with the changing times. Often, the current method works well and changing it would be worse.  If you look back on which party has controlled the federal government since, you'll see that voters keep switching back and forth because one philosophy tends to be taken too far and corrective actions need to be taken.  

Roosevelt had a great idea with social security, but today the system has wandered far from it's original intent and can't be supported.  I read just yesterday that CSLA college has created black only dormitories, so black students can have safe space.  This is in a liberal college environment which touts a diverse student population.  Wasn't the purpose of integration, which was a liberal agenda, a progressive policy?  Now instead of trying to produce graduates who can thrive in a real diverse world, are we trying to protect them from diverse ideas?  The article stated that 10 other colleges are doing the same thing.  Cities like Chicago, Detroit and Baltimore, that have been governed by liberal city governments, are where we're seeing the biggest racial and economic problems and disparities.  

I think that we'll discover that neither Clinton is as progressive as we think nor that Trump is conservative at all if they are elected.  We need to be progressive enough to change with the times and to correct previous mistakes, but it shouldn't be at the expense of abandoning the workable principles and policies that have made us a great nation, and abandoning the rights of some in order to enhance the rights of others.  I see the progressive agenda today as wanting to take rights and privileges from some and give to others because the one group agrees with them.  Isn't this idea what has caused so much misery in the past, and what we are trying to fix?
(September 7, 2016 at 4:31 pm)Lek Wrote:
(September 6, 2016 at 10:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: The nation no matter how you slice it isn't going to stay red. Many deeply red states are now pink. New poll shows Hillary 1 point ahead in TEXAS and only 2 points behind in Mississippi. Now I don't fool myself into thinking she will win those states. But it does indicate that our nation isn't as fundy as the GOP would have us believe.

There is no single strategy to approach all the nation's affairs.  In management and leadership classes we learned the best approach to deal with the myriad of situations we face is an eclectic approach.  Some situations may call for a progressive approach because the current system isn't working well or in order to keep up with the changing times. Often, the current method works well and changing it would be worse.  If you look back on which party has controlled the federal government since, you'll see that voters keep switching back and forth because one philosophy tends to be taken too far and corrective actions need to be taken.  

Roosevelt had a great idea with social security, but today the system has wandered far from it's original intent and can't be supported.  I read just yesterday that CSLA college has created black only dormitories, so black students can have safe space.  This is in a liberal college environment which touts a diverse student population.  Wasn't the purpose of integration, which was a liberal agenda, a progressive policy?  Now instead of trying to produce graduates who can thrive in a real diverse world, are we trying to protect them from diverse ideas?  The article stated that 10 other colleges are doing the same thing.  Cities like Chicago, Detroit and Baltimore, that have been governed by liberal city governments, are where we're seeing the biggest racial and economic problems and disparities.  

I think that we'll discover that neither Clinton is as progressive as we think nor that Trump is conservative at all if they are elected.  We need to be progressive enough to change with the times and to correct previous mistakes, but it shouldn't be at the expense of abandoning the workable principles and policies that have made us a great nation, and abandoning the rights of some in order to enhance the rights of others.  I see the progressive agenda today as wanting to take rights and privileges from some and give to others because the one group agrees with them.  Isn't this idea what has caused so much misery in the past, and what we are trying to fix?

If you are talking about business management, it is a myth that you can treat a government like a business. Balancing a government budget is nothing at all like balancing a private business budget. 

No Lek, nobody is trying to take anyone's rights away. I am so sick of the right's bullshit cold war crap. Taxes are not robbery and taxing the top is not robbery. Not taxing the top because of the monopoly they set up to avoid taxes IS robbery because WE have to make up for what the top doesn't pay.

You look at economic history and what caused the great depression it was because of LACK OF REGULATION. You look at what built the middle class it was high taxes on the top, investment, and low pay gap between the top and bottom that was livable wages that met the cost of living. It was Reagan's deregulation and union busting that undid all that.

If you are going to defend the top blindly, then you are NOT for the rights of all, you are simply for the rights of the rich.
(September 7, 2016 at 4:31 pm)Lek Wrote:

CSLA housing program is not for blacks only, its open to anyone on campus. It's set up as a community for anyone interested in African American Culture, discriminating based on race is against federal law.
(September 8, 2016 at 6:44 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: CSLA housing program is not for blacks only, its open to anyone on campus. It's set up as a community for anyone interested in African American Culture, discriminating based on race is against federal law.

Students who live in those dorms choose to segregate themselves.
(September 8, 2016 at 12:28 pm)Lek Wrote:
(September 8, 2016 at 6:44 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: CSLA housing program is not for blacks only, its open to anyone on campus. It's set up as a community for anyone interested in African American Culture, discriminating based on race is against federal law.

But the important distinction is that the dormitory is not segregated by rule.

While I don't particularly agree with the practice, it's not as regressive as you're making it out to be.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(September 8, 2016 at 12:37 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: But the important distinction is that the dormitory is not segregated by rule.

While I don't particularly agree with the practice, it's not as regressive as you're making it out to be.

At the same time, this is the kind of behavior that universities as institutions should be against and condemn. Like the Emory University President who didn't succumb to pressure from students to ban Trump slogans written in chalk on the campus (he instead wrote his own message about free expression in chalk).
(September 8, 2016 at 1:37 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 8, 2016 at 12:37 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: But the important distinction is that the dormitory is not segregated by rule.

At the same time, this is the kind of behavior that universities as institutions should be against and condemn. Like the Emory University President who didn't succumb to pressure from students to ban Trump slogans written in chalk on the campus (he instead wrote his own message about free expression in chalk).

It's a shame he chose a medium that can be washed away by rain. It should be carved into fucking granite.
(September 8, 2016 at 12:28 pm)Lek Wrote:

No, students choosing to live among others students who share their interests and culture is not segregation, I would call it human nature.
Brian,

I'm going to need you to explain how the Smoot-Hawley Act can be considered a LACK OF REGULATION . This isn't by any means the only cause of the Great Depression, but saying it's cause was due to a lack of regulation is simply ignorant.

I agree that the tax code must be changed to increase the effective tax rate of top earners, but both parties are equally at fault for no meaningful change. Neither wants the attending loss of power.

Taxing the 1% at a 100% rate also won't solve our issues. Again, I have no issue with increasing the top effective rate, but this will barely make a dent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How is inflation and the rising cost of living affecting you? bemore 13 679 August 30, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The PR Wing Of The GOP BrianSoddingBoru4 175 13283 June 18, 2022 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  GOP chooses to protect former guy and big lie. Brian37 11 823 June 1, 2021 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now the GOP trots out dirt on Hunter Biden onlinebiker 89 5621 October 21, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  We are living in the medieval 21st Century ignoramus 9 351 July 4, 2020 at 1:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  An ass from the past...... Brian37 13 1477 August 29, 2019 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How Low Can the GOP/POTUS go? OP/ED Brian37 15 958 March 29, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  GOP now wants civility in scotus hearing? Brian37 15 1349 September 7, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  All migrants are violent according to GOP.... Brian37 0 269 August 23, 2018 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Brian37
  WSJ Demands GOP Leadership Strip the WLB of Tarriff Powers Minimalist 6 656 June 9, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist