Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Matthew
Hurricane Matthew
Anyone affected by it?

My parents are hunkered down it DeLand, FL (northeast of Orlando). They are sufficiently inland that the most they will deal with is debris and downed trees, but still.

A lot of friends in the area that I am checking in with.

Here's a nifty wind tracker:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wi...512,28.748
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Hurricane Matthew
I live on the West coast of Florida.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I have good friends living in Bartow. They also have two condos in Daytona. I believe they are hunkered down at Daytona as to keep an eye on their units there.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I have family on the Treasure Coast, about an hour north of West Palm Beach. Others in Orlando. They're all apparently doing OK, but I've been watching the live feed from NBC 5 in WPB quite often.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(October 7, 2016 at 12:07 am)Maelstrom Wrote: I live on the West coast of Florida.

Are the winds bad there?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(October 7, 2016 at 12:11 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Are the winds bad there?

Nope.
~ Erin Hunter
I used to live out near Clearwater. Been so long. I seem to remember lots of rain and lightning, but not any of this madness.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I have felt nostalgic for FL, even though I had some social trouble there, but this just ends it.
You should move back here and be next to me here in Clearwater.
~ Erin Hunter
I'm sure CLW is more happenin' than Belleair. Never got invited to any barbecues at the Hogans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hurricane Laura Gawdzilla Sama 11 712 August 28, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Hurricane Michael created by Democrats Foxaèr 6 1050 October 12, 2018 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Hurricane Harvey Seraphina 228 67208 September 22, 2017 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hurricane Irma dyresand 155 38538 September 21, 2017 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Texas checkpoints to remain open during Hurricane Harvey The Grand Nudger 1 783 August 25, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hurricane Harvey/GOP OP/ED...... Brian37 0 649 August 25, 2017 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Brian37