Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some instance I wanted to share with you
Some instance I wanted to share with you
The other day I used the sub to go to work. The platform was pretty crowded and there were two cops present. The stopped and frisked the only black guy standing there. I'm a bit ashamed to only have watched what unfolded, but our cops are pretty much the same as in every other country. Stick your nose in their affairs and they will come after you out of spite. Because you don't show them the proper respect they think they deserve.

The black guy took it remarkably calm. Nothing came of it and he was on his phone a few minutes later. Probably a seasoned veteran of things like that happening.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm growing pretty tired of all these questioning white privilege threads cropping up like turds these last few months. This is how reality looks like. The cops do racial profiling, for whatever reason. And I'd hate to be on the receiving end.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Some instance I wanted to share with you
Hasn't there only been about 2 threads of that nature in the last year or so?

There's the thread where I questioned the extent of White privilage and got told I don't want to talk about it even though I created the thread asking people to talk about it. while being told I don't believe it exists at all even though I said I think it does exist to an extent and was critisized for questioning even the extent to which it exists and a load of other bullshit.

There was maybe one other thread like it by that new guy who's recently admitted he's trolling.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Trust me, they profile by more than just race, at least in my neck of the woods.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote: The stopped and frisked the only black guy standing there.

At least they didn't shoot him.
I'd hate to be a police officer: If in any way you focus on 2-3% of the population (black males under 35) that commit more murders than 38% of the population (white males under 35) then you're a racist shitlord.

Unfortunately black people will suffer more because they are murdered by their own race more than whites.

Is racial profiling groups that have demonstrably shown to be more violent worse than murder of the people of that group by the same group? Because that's what this is coming down to.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(October 15, 2016 at 8:48 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: I'd hate to be a police officer: If in any way you focus on 2-3% of the population (black males under 35) that commit more murders than 38% of the population (white males under 35) then you're a racist shitlord.

Unfortunately black people will suffer more because they are murdered by their own race more than whites.

Is racial profiling groups that have demonstrably shown to be more violent worse than murder of the people of that group by the same group?  Because that's what this is coming down to.

And I'm sure you will back up all of this with stats and hard facts in an instant.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 15, 2016 at 9:29 am)abaris Wrote: The other day I used the sub to go to work. The platform was pretty crowded and there were two cops present. The stopped and frisked the only black guy standing there. I'm a bit ashamed to only have watched what unfolded, but our cops are pretty much the same as in every other country. Stick your nose in their affairs and they will come after you out of spite. Because you don't show them the proper respect they think they deserve.

The black guy took it remarkably calm. Nothing came of it and he was on his phone a few minutes later. Probably a seasoned veteran of things like that happening.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm growing pretty tired of all these questioning white privilege threads cropping up like turds these last few months. This is how reality looks like. The cops do racial profiling, for whatever reason. And I'd hate to be on the receiving end.

IMO, implicit bias, a trait common to humanity, plays a part in this problem.  The AF user, Aroura, created an excellent thread going into the details of implicit bias.  In particular, some crucial aspects of implicit bias are cultural starting points, stereotypes, and generalizations, which we form to make sense of others and our environments.  Naturally, as we experience our lives through whatever cultural lenses we've been brought up in, our implicit biases are subconsciously ingrained into our minds and become synonymous with normalcy.  IMO, If we want to grow beyond these biases, then we've got to acknowledge their existence in each of us and be open to the criticism of others when they point out our particular biases (substituting curious introspection for reactive defensiveness is crucial here).  More importantly, if people can embrace the fact that their particular sense-making processes do not constitute an objective normalcy/worldly truth−but are simply ways for them to construct meaning and normalcy in our world−then perhaps it will make us a more mindful, accepting, and advanced species.

References

Lustig, Myron., & Koester, Jolene. (2013). Intercultural Competence: Intercultural Communication across Cultures, 7th ed. Boston: Pearson.

IDK Kernel, I was raised to put on the hood and string a darky up.  Somehow, it's just not who I am, and never has been.  Writing it off as "implicit bias" and claiming some sort of naturality to it, is...I think, excusing/obscuring the problem. All this alk of normalcy...that's not a "natural" thing, there's no such thing a naturally normal human being or naturally normal human perception. They've heard the criticism, being "open" to it doesn't do a thing, they don't give a shit, except insomuch as it hurts their dainty feelings to be called bigots, while it doesn't hurt their dainty feelings to -be- bigots.

Imagining that people can be talked out of whatever it is about them you don;t agree with is less than subtle condescension - as usual. These people are who they are, accept -that-, or it's pointless to talk about acceptance and criticism. Some people will die before they accept this or that. That doesn't make them less mindful or advanced, nor does it make our species less mindful or advanced....and your dreams of a "more x" this or that are, in truth, no different than their dreams of racial purity.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 16, 2016 at 12:34 pm)Rhythm Wrote: IDK Kernel, I was raised to put on the hood and string a darky up.  Somehow, it's just not who I am, and never has been.  Writing it off as "implicit bias" and claiming some sort of naturality to it, is...I think, excusing/obscuring the problem.  All this alk of normalcy...that's not a "natural" thing, there's no such thing a naturally normal human being or naturally normal human perception.  It gets hammered in.  It -get's- criticism, being open to it it doesn't seem to work, unless you imagine that the reason people are, for example, racist, is because there's some insurmountable barrier to criticism in every racist.  They've heard the criticism, they don't give a shit.

Thanks for your response, Rhythm. I revised the first sentence of my post to say "plays a part in the problem", rather than a big part in the problem."  After re-reading my post, I could see your point very clearly: I was being too general.

I agree with you about normalcy.  My point was to say that normalcy is subjective and constructed (or hammered in as you put it) and not natural.  Or put another, way, we are the ones who are constructing these biases and sense-making processes.

So too, would be any normalcy that included a non-bigoted point of view.  You'll run into a dead end somewhere...and I;ve run into more than once on these forums..where some bigot says to you;

"Well, you're being a bigot"  -and it's true.  I'm bigoted against bigotry and bigots.  I'm not -actually- doing something different. I'm doing the same thing toward a different end.  I;m okay with that, I don't have to imagine that it's a flaw of perception that can be or should be fixed.  There's no high ground in this to approach it as a problem that needs be fixed or cvan be fixed by our differently bigoted points of view.  Call them intractable differences.  Learn to work around them, accept that no work will be done, or be comfortable with excluding them.  We'd be wasting our time trying to dissuade my grandfather, for example. He hammered on me but the nail never hit home. Worked on my little brother though. He's always about two minutes away from shouting rahowa at the top of his lungs. Pat explanations and suggestions defy and ignore the reality that we live in.

I ignore it when I can, avoid it when confronting it is pointless, and exclude him whenever it's necessary. There will be no kumbayah moment between us. There's no path from where he is to where I am, or vv.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 746 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  New theistic chew toys wanted! Foxaèr 266 19498 August 29, 2021 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  There are some things you lose track of, & regret. Brian37 11 1112 June 22, 2021 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  The Go Go's "Vacation all you never wanted." Brian37 10 1035 July 13, 2020 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1740 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  News So Good I Have to Share It Rhondazvous 6 923 July 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Just some things I’d like to know about you. Losty 54 9271 April 6, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Share your protocol for having a cold Catholic_Lady 67 5447 March 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Will you share your food (serious question) ErGingerbreadMandude 39 5455 January 15, 2018 at 2:21 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Christmas Traditions You Want to Share? Shell B 46 4287 December 20, 2017 at 3:44 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus