Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share your protocol for having a cold
Share your protocol for having a cold
Here's mine.

Natural, healthy things to do:

1. Start taking zicam immediately, continue every 3 hours throughout the cold.

2. Start taking a multivitamin immediately with plenty of antioxidants and B vitamins, if you didn't already do so.

3. Thoroughly Brush your teeth 3-4 times a day and use mouthwash. (Oral health effects overall health, so keep that mouth clean when sick)

4. Drink lots and lots of water. Not soda, not sugary fruit juices. Unsweetened Pedialite if you have diarrhea. No gatorade.

5. Eat well and balanced, even if not hungry. Preferably at least one serving of garlicky anti inflammatory soup per day. A little spicy if no sore throat, to help drain sinuses.

6. Take it slow for the day, don't overwork yourself. And keep warm.

7. If it's warm outside, open your windows and let the fresh air flow through. Lay out in the sun for a while. Vitamin D, biotches!

8. Use netipot or nasal irrigator once a day with distilled water to flush out the sinuses.

9. Use nasal saline spray throughout the day as needed.

10. Take hot showers as needed to help soften and drain mucus.

11. Use a humidifier.

12. Drink Throat Coat tea (from traditional medicinals) if experiencing dry throat.

Meanwhile, here are the best medicines to take, imho:

1. Upon waiking up, take 2 doses of Mucinex D 12 hour relief to combat mucus and congestion simultaneously. You'll need to get it behind the counter and show your ID because it contains real sudafed (pseudophoedrine), not the fake shit that doesnt work. Always take pseudophedrine sudafed. Do not take later on because it keeps you awake.

2. For headache or sore throat, take 800mg of ibuprofen (usually 4 pills), and 1000mg of Tylenol (usually 2 extra strength pills). Take them together. The 2 different pain meds work differently for maximum pain relief. Do this up to twice daily.

3. For cough, Tessalon works great, but you need a prescription. Rubitussin doesn't do shit.

4. Before bed time, use Afrin for decongestion so you can sleep well.

5. Cepacol Sore Throat lozenges work better than any other. Take as needed.

...So there's my protocol. Share yours if you have one. Also, I'm sick if you can't tell lol.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Share your protocol for having a cold
I sit there and bitch and moan about it.
My wife presents me with CL's protocol and nags me to do all of it.

I groan, turn over, pull the sheets over my head, and go back to sleep.
(March 22, 2018 at 11:50 am)Crossless2.0 Wrote: My wife presents me with CL's protocol and nags me to do all of it.

I groan, turn over, pull the sheets over my head, and go back to sleep.

Hahaha. This is so me with my husband. He mostly likes the attention and care, but gets annoyed sometimes with all the different things I have him take lol. Especially when I make him eat.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
You appear to be the victim of marketing. 

Assuming you're referring to the "common cold virus" most will pass on their own, treated or not, in the same amount of time.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I wash my hands more and sit on the couch with a blanket. That's about it. I take medicine for symptoms as absolutely necessary (for example, I won't take meds for a head cold, but if I get serious sinus pressure from it, I'll take something)

When Tibs has a cold, my protocol is to follow him around the house with Lysol.
Buckley's

Fisherman's friends  

Rest 

Plenty of liquids
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(March 22, 2018 at 11:58 am)mh.brewer Wrote: You appear to be the victim of marketing. 

Assuming you're referring to the "common cold virus" most will pass on their own, treated or not, in the same amount of time.

Nah, I think you can definitely recover quicker if you take good care of yourself during that time. And all the other stuff definitely helps in relieving symptoms.

(March 22, 2018 at 11:58 am)Shell B Wrote: I wash my hands more and sit on the couch with a blanket. That's about it. I take medicine for symptoms as absolutely necessary (for example, I won't take meds for a head cold, but if I get serious sinus pressure from it, I'll take something)

When Tibs has a cold, my protocol is to follow him around the house with Lysol.

Girl I take meds immediately. I don't like pain/discomfort lol.

-walsh
I don't like medicine. Gross. Still, I take it if I have to. I only took NyQuil for the first time in my life two years ago. It was Fourth of July, and Tibs had given me the death cold, which he was getting over. We had two parties to attend, fireworks, etc. I felt like utter shit. We got home and he put me to bed. I was colder than I'd ever been in my entire life. Nothing could warm me. I made him pile on all of the blankets from the closet. Then, I begged for him to add our bathrobes. It was insane. So, he made me take NyQuil. I fell asleep 20 minutes later and have worshiped at the altar of NyQuil ever since. I haven't had to take it since, but I still think it's the bee's knees.
(March 22, 2018 at 12:25 pm)Shell B Wrote: I don't like medicine. Gross. Still, I take it if I have to. I only took NyQuil for the first time in my life two years ago. It was Fourth of July, and Tibs had given me the death cold, which he was getting over. We had two parties to attend, fireworks, etc. I felt like utter shit. We got home and he put me to bed. I was colder than I'd ever been in my entire life. Nothing could warm me. I made him pile on all of the blankets from the closet. Then, I begged for him to add our bathrobes. It was insane. So, he made me take NyQuil. I fell asleep 20 minutes later and have worshiped at the altar of NyQuil ever since. I haven't had to take it since, but I still think it's the bee's knees.

Wow, that sucks. Thankfully I haven't had a fever since I was a kid.

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is cold hearted purplepurpose 11 866 March 21, 2021 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Yup.... That's cold. onlinebiker 66 2380 February 19, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 628 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Having, collecting and hoarding onlinebiker 67 3486 April 13, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why do I keep having this same dream or at least a variation of it GODZILLA 13 1671 February 18, 2019 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1340 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1781 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Do you and yours wear thermal under clothes when the weather gets cold? Duty 46 3123 November 15, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Duty
  News So Good I Have to Share It Rhondazvous 6 1022 July 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1138 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr