Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children not getting breakfast
Children not getting breakfast
I've noticed that on some breakfast cereal boxes, there is a "breakfast club" which provides breakfast for children at school. It claims that 1 in 7 children in England are coming to school without having had breakfast.

Now, it's great that something is being done to feed these poor kids. But what the hell is going on? Surely feeding your children is the number one priority. I do understand that some people will be so financially crippled that things like this can happen, but can that really account for 1 in 7?

You get an awful lot of child benefit in England. Not just child benefit, but loads of other financial assistance, tax credits and so on. If this isn't being spent on food, where is it going?

Am I naive in thinking this is awful parenting? Does poverty really strike this hard?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Children not getting breakfast
Don't be surprised to find that a not insignificant proportion of these kids belong to middle class families.
The poorer one's tend to concentrate more on well being as providing food is one of their priorities in life.
Also, I must add that the middle class is not very comfortable these days anyway.
It's not like it used to be....

PS, I've watched many docos and the yanky middle class is doing it tough also. ($80,000-$130,000)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Maybe 1 in 7 children don't feel like eating breakfast.

When I was young not eating in the morning didn't bother me and sometimes I'd actually feel sick if I did eat because I just didn't feel hungry.

These days I get moody if I don't have breakfast though.

Not that there won't be some cases of poverty but like you said there's a lot of benefits for children these days.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Here ya go. I have several problems with the "facts" in the article. I probably fit their criteria for being "1" when growing up. That being said, no child should go truly hungry. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/one...ol-2269726
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 7, 2017 at 5:39 am)robvalue Wrote: Am I naive in thinking this is awful parenting? Does poverty really strike this hard?

It doesn't necessarily have to do with poverty. I didn't eat breakfast and I came from a well off family. Not because they wouldn't have fed me but because I always had zero appetite when waking up. It always took me a couple of hours to get hungry. It's the same today actually. A couple of coffees is all I take in the morning.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Here is what appears to be the actual study. Note that it was funded by Kellogg's. I'm not impressed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4457018/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Thanks for the responses guys. I hadn't considered that the kids might have chosen not to eat.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I was required (I hesitate to say 'forced') to eat breakfast every day when I was a kid. A typical brekkie was rashers, pork sausages, fried egg, black pud, fried tomato and mushrooms, buttered toast and tea.

Wonder me heart didn't explode by age twelve.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hmm, yeah. I don't think missing breakfast was an option for me growing up.

Index of my best videos
I'm a bit like abaris. The last thing I want when I first get up is food. Give me some coffee and let me wake up a bit. I'll eat when I'm hungry, which is usually 2-3 hours later.

Of course, as a parent, I completely failed to consider that any of my kids might be like me. My son grew up with daily breakfasts fit for a lumberjack. It was only recently that he confessed that it was a chore for him to choke down the pile of food I set in front of him each day.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting to Know the Forum. Disagreeable 0 264 January 23, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
Thumbs Up That's breakfast onlinebiker 20 1005 June 18, 2020 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Where do i discuss about getting fit ? Megabullshit 109 5287 May 19, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Leave my !&$*@*# breakfast alone! onlinebiker 60 2496 April 10, 2020 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Getting ready for winter. onlinebiker 21 1620 October 26, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2239 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Children visiting Grandma rejoice John V 19 2190 July 31, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: John V
  First World problems getting you down? We're here for support. ignoramus 68 7333 June 18, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why are children allowed to act in TV shows/movies? Alexmahone 10 2532 May 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7171 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady