Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 23rd November 2017, 20:14

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral Acts
Moral Acts
Name one moral act that can not be accomplished without religion.

Nationalism: Accepting credit for accomplishments without any effort on your part!

RE: Moral Acts
Can't be done. Exactly your point.

gg
We do not change our minds. Our minds change us.
Guilt free masturbation?
God(s) and religions are man made and the bane of humanity. 

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Ozzy or Twain/take your pick
(10th January 2017, 08:37)chimp3 Wrote: Name one moral act that can not be accomplished without religion.

I agree (mostly anyway),   but that isn't what the argument is!
(10th January 2017, 08:37)chimp3 Wrote: Name one moral act that can not be accomplished without religion.

Honor killings?
The problem is defining what morality means in the first place. Religion muddies the waters by introducing the likes and dislikes of some voyeur.

Certainly religion is not required to be caring towards others, in any shape or form.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(10th January 2017, 09:03)mh.brewer Wrote: Guilt free masturbation?
you got that backwards lol
We do not change our minds. Our minds change us.
Once heard someone say in response to Hitch that he felt praying for his children was a moral action.

That's the only answer I ever heard
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
You cannot sacrifice your annoying neighbors - a moral act if ever there was one - to Jesus without religion.

Boru
'There are people who long for immortality in the afterlife who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.' - Isaac Asimov
I think the argument from the other side is more along the lines of, "you can act moral but you can't actually be moral without religion." If you don't believe in God, then the religious will question your motivations, since any proper God-fearing citizen has that to motivate them to do good. Atheists don't have a standard to be judged by. But there's no specific thing you can't do without religion; it's all about intention and motivation.

I disagree with all that, obviously. And I think doing good or just or moral acts for their own merit should hold more water than doing it because you think God wants you to. The latter seems almost selfish to me... only helping others to secure good graces wit the Big Guy.
"You are what the whole universe is doing in the same way that a wave is what the whole ocean is doing. The real you is not a puppet which life pushes around. The real deep down you ... is the whole universe."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 857 2nd November 2017, 18:29
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  A moral situation Lutrinae 10 490 22nd May 2017, 14:59
Last Post: vorlon13
  On Moral Authorities FallentoReason 266 7296 21st November 2016, 00:54
Last Post: theologian
  Your moral compass mcolafson 58 2214 11th October 2016, 06:39
Last Post: robvalue
  Moral realism vs moral anti-realism debate is a moot point Pizza 1 652 7th March 2015, 20:13
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 1650 28th February 2015, 01:32
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Why 'should' atheists be moral? vincent150 119 9223 4th January 2015, 13:13
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Moral Dilemma EgoRaptor 98 9470 20th February 2014, 18:22
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  Moral Principles: 10 Myths Rahul 8 1966 14th February 2014, 00:20
Last Post: bennyboy
  Not Convinced Determinism Makes Sense of Moral Responsibility. Convince Me It Does Mudhammam 44 6378 17th December 2013, 00:47
Last Post: MindForgedManacle