Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 28th March 2017, 11:50

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral Acts
Moral Acts
Name one moral act that can not be accomplished without religion.
“God will endure for as long as the reasons that brought him into being;And so will those who deny him.” ― Michel Onfray

RE: Moral Acts
Can't be done. Exactly your point.

gg
Those we love are never really lost to us - we feel them in so many special ways-
through friends they always cared about and dreams they left behind, in beauty that they added to our days... in words of wisdom we still carry with us and memories that never will be gone... Those we love are never really lost to us - For everywhere their special love lives on.
A. Bradley
Guilt free masturbation?
God(s) and religions are man made and the bane of humanity. 

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Ozzy or Twain/take your pick
(10th January 2017, 08:37)chimp3 Wrote: Name one moral act that can not be accomplished without religion.

I agree (mostly anyway),   but that isn't what the argument is!
(10th January 2017, 08:37)chimp3 Wrote: Name one moral act that can not be accomplished without religion.

Honor killings?
The problem is defining what morality means in the first place. Religion muddies the waters by introducing the likes and dislikes of some voyeur.

Certainly religion is not required to be caring towards others, in any shape or form.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(10th January 2017, 09:03)mh.brewer Wrote: Guilt free masturbation?
you got that backwards lol
Those we love are never really lost to us - we feel them in so many special ways-
through friends they always cared about and dreams they left behind, in beauty that they added to our days... in words of wisdom we still carry with us and memories that never will be gone... Those we love are never really lost to us - For everywhere their special love lives on.
A. Bradley
Once heard someone say in response to Hitch that he felt praying for his children was a moral action.

That's the only answer I ever heard
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
You cannot sacrifice your annoying neighbors - a moral act if ever there was one - to Jesus without religion.

Boru
'There are people who long for immortality in the afterlife who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.' - Isaac Asimov
I think the argument from the other side is more along the lines of, "you can act moral but you can't actually be moral without religion." If you don't believe in God, then the religious will question your motivations, since any proper God-fearing citizen has that to motivate them to do good. Atheists don't have a standard to be judged by. But there's no specific thing you can't do without religion; it's all about intention and motivation.

I disagree with all that, obviously. And I think doing good or just or moral acts for their own merit should hold more water than doing it because you think God wants you to. The latter seems almost selfish to me... only helping others to secure good graces wit the Big Guy.
"When life begins, we are tender and weak.
When life ends, we are stiff and rigid.
All things, including the grass and the trees,
Are soft and pliable in life, dry and brittle in death.
So the soft and supple are the companions of life,
Whilst the stiff and unyielding are the companions of death.
An army that cannot yield will be defeated.
A tree that cannot bend will crack in the wind.
Thus, by nature's own decree,
The hard and strong are defeated,
Whilst the soft and gentle are triumphant."

-Lao-tzu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On Moral Authorities FallentoReason 266 4899 21st November 2016, 00:54
Last Post: theologian
  Your moral compass mcolafson 58 1775 11th October 2016, 06:39
Last Post: robvalue
  Moral realism vs moral anti-realism debate is a moot point Pizza 1 527 7th March 2015, 20:13
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman 13 1474 28th February 2015, 01:32
Last Post: The Reality Salesman
  Why 'should' atheists be moral? vincent150 119 8448 4th January 2015, 13:13
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Moral Dilemma EgoRaptor 98 9003 20th February 2014, 18:22
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  Moral Principles: 10 Myths Rahul 8 1759 14th February 2014, 00:20
Last Post: bennyboy
  Not Convinced Determinism Makes Sense of Moral Responsibility. Convince Me It Does Mudhammam 44 5526 17th December 2013, 00:47
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Moral Argument for God's Existence MindForgedManacle 34 6173 25th October 2013, 09:47
Last Post: bennyboy
  Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality Lemonvariable72 29 5157 9th September 2013, 12:44
Last Post: MindForgedManacle