Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Present a BETTER worldview
Present a BETTER worldview
Most of the time I see atheists, skeptics, and agnostic community putting forth a great deal of effort in debunking and undermining Christianity as a valid worldview. Not much effort at all it seems is given in presenting a BETTER worldview. I would like to defy you to present a reasonable worldview which is BETTER than theism considering the following:

- please present a BETTER explanation for the existence of our universe, a cosmological argument, which is more rational than Theism gives us. Why is there something, rather than nothing ?
- please present a BETTER explanation for the fine-tuning of

- The over 120 finely tuned constants of physics to permit life on earth
- The initial conditions of the universe. how was it possible the inflation rate of the Big Bang being finely tuned to degree of 1 of 10^120 ?
- the galaxy- sun-earth-moon system :

considering :

to have just one life permitting universe, you need 1 to 10^500 attempts to get it done. Thats a 1 with 500 zeros. If we put it in comparison, that in our universe, there exist around 10^80 atoms, this shows how improbable it is, that a Multiverse could explain finetuning. Beside this, the Multiverse argument does not explain away God. A mechanism needs to be in place to trigger these multiverses. It could not be by physical need, since if so, why are there many planets, which are not life permitting, but our is ? So its best explained by design. Our earth/solar/moon system is a very strong evidence. Our solar system is embedded at the right position in our galaxy, neither too close, nor too far from the center of the galaxy. Its also the only location, which alouds us to explore the universe, In a other location, and we would not see more than stellar clouds. The earth has the right distance from the sun, and so has the moon from the earth. The size of the moon, and the earth, is the right one. Our planet has the needed minerals, and water. It has the right atmosphere, and a ozon protecting mantle. Jupiter attracts all asteroids , avoiding these to fall to the earth, and make life impossible. The earths magnetic field protects us from the deadly rays of the sun. The velocity of rotation of the earth is just right. And so is the axial tilt of the earth. Beside this, volcano activities, earth quakes, the size of the crust of the earth, and more over 70 different paramenters must be just right.

- please present a BETTER explanation than creation for the existence of life on our planet
- the existence of higher taxonomic groups, if you believe in common ancestry.
-please explain a BETTER mechanism than design for DNA, consciousness, the hability of thinking and speech, and morality.
-please explain, what meaning your life has. And if it has no reason, how can you live happy knowing, that your life is completely futile and senseless ?
RE: Present a BETTER worldview
You assume that the universe is set up precisely so that humans can exist; that the universe was "designed" or "fine-tuned" for us. You ignore the possibility that our existence is simply a side-effect of the universe being the way it is.
(September 17, 2010 at 11:12 am)Tiberius Wrote: You assume that the universe is set up precisely so that humans can exist; that the universe was "designed" or "fine-tuned" for us. You ignore the possibility that our existence is simply a side-effect of the universe being the way it is.

This.

We could be the things that have had to "fine-tune" in order to fit in with the universe.

Anyway, I cant give you a more convenient answer than god did it, I can give you an answer that pretty much says we don't know...but that don't make god any more real. I'd rather live my life not knowing than assuming I know, just to make myself feel better.

OK so then theism is the best explanation.
Yay! You win. That was easy, wasn't it?
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Congratulations.
It's so obvious now. Why didn't I see it before?
Isn't this drake equation?
(September 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm)blood_pardon Wrote: OK so then theism is the best explanation.

[Image: cat_DrivingtodrinkFAIL.jpg]
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Just an after thought with the fine-tuning argument...if god had the ability to "fine-tune" the universe to support life, would we not be seeing life swarming on all the other planets in our galaxy? and life in other galaxies? Would God not want to have created as much life as possible? Or did god get lazy after that busy week he had creating life on earth? Or is watching over even more planets to much to ask of the all powerful being? Or has heaven got a admittance limit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? vulcanlogician 147 7803 April 5, 2022 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2592 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  trying to adopt an amoral worldview bonbonbaron 46 3610 January 26, 2021 at 12:23 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10360 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Share your worldview? psalm531 99 7960 February 13, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  I am better than God! chimp3 24 4656 September 26, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Creationists are better than inconsistent Christians orangedude 14 1904 April 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Are some people truly better off believing? Razzle 45 8796 May 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Why pets (dogs/cats) are better than religion Dystopia 22 3374 January 16, 2015 at 9:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Article: Would the world be better off without religion? Angrboda 25 5085 January 14, 2015 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Tonus