Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass grave of babies in Convent in Tuam, Co Galway
Mass grave of babies in Convent in Tuam, Co Galway
Warning: some of the details in this post are pretty sickening, especially if you click on some of those links.

I don't know if anybody's been following this story, but back in 2012 a local historian by the name of Catherine Corless published findings that the bodies of 796 babies and children had essentially gone missing after they died under the care of the Bon Secours sisters in their convent in Tuam, Coupled with earlier findings by local children (going back to the '70's) of children's bones in the long disused septic tank of the site, she came to the not unreasonable conclusion that most of these children were buried in that septic tank, their short lives swept under the carpet by a church organisation who were supposed to care for and champion them.

The case itself was a slow burner until 2014 when the US based news website Irish Central published this article. Shortly afterwards a petition was set up on Avaaz which garnered over 31,000 signatures one of which was my own, asking for Frances Fitzgerald the then (and current) justice minister to set up a Garda inquiry into the matter with the view of bringing those responsible for this mass killing to light, if not necessarily to justice.

Of course the church sent in its attack dogs, trying their very best to discredit the story and Mrs Corless herself, with many articles like this hack job by Rosita Boland appearing in publications that should have known better (Boland's piece appeared in the Irish Times which used pride itself on being the paper of record here, and which usen't suck up to the bishops quite as much. My how times have changed).

Eventually a commission was set up under Justice Yvonne Murphy to look into this convent and other such institutions (the Mother and Child "home" in Bessborough Co. Cork had similar problems, with the Cork County chief medical officer in the 1940's Dr James Deeny shutting it down because of the high mortality rate in the institution), which decided to do a dig on the site in Tuam. The report of that dig was announced today by Minister for Children Catherine Zappone TD showing that yes indeed that the majority of the children killed by the depraved indifference of the nuns ended up being dumped into a septic tank.

I'm just wondering is it time now to simply do the whole church in Ireland for mass murder and crimes against humanity, repossess all the land they took from the country and kick them out for good?

If you want a comprehensive read of the whole sorry saga (and some really shitty defending of the rcc), you can read this 148 page thread on Boards.ie (I was posting on the site at the time, under my actual name. A lot of people I'd previously respected there got put on my ignore list because of that thread).

Edit: I meant to put in the Wiki article as well. Here it is.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: Mass grave of babies in Convent in Tuam, Co Galway
And this planet is protected by a loving God?!??!!??!
I saw this in the linked Guardian article:

. . . The government’s commissioner for children, Katherine Zappone, said the findings were “sad and disturbing” and promised that the children’s families would be consulted on providing proper burials and other memorials . . .

Um, by definition, the Roman Catholic Church provided reasonable and appropriate care in disposing of all those children. They would be morally, spiritually, culturally, and religiously INCAPABLE of doing otherwise.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This is the natural result of praying for someone to get better instead of seeking qualified medical care.
(March 3, 2017 at 12:57 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I saw this in the linked Guardian article:

. . . The government’s commissioner for children, Katherine Zappone, said the findings were “sad and disturbing” and promised that the children’s families would be consulted on providing proper burials and other memorials . . .

Um, by definition, the Roman Catholic Church provided reasonable and appropriate care in disposing of all those children.  They would be morally, spiritually, culturally, and religiously INCAPABLE of doing otherwise.

If they were buried in a septic tank, they weren't given their last rites as per catlick dogma. And given the ages of the babies (up to two years old), they would have been baptised thus making it mandatory that they got catlick last rights.

Remember these institutions were there for selling babies born out of wedlock off to American or Australian couples (in Bessborough for example the church got paid three times over for the babies, once from the state to provide "proper care" from the children, once from the families of the poor women for taking them in and forcing them into slave labour, and once from the adpotive couples they were illegaly selling babies to), so the kids buried in the septic tank were those considered too damaged goods to offload.

Home
[Image: fc,550x550,white.u3.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 3, 2017 at 3:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: [Image: fc,550x550,white.u3.jpg]

Don't worry, it's just the more I recall of the case and the more I think about it the worse it gets.

Home
That's awful.  Sad
(March 3, 2017 at 12:15 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote: Warning: some of the details in this post are pretty sickening, especially if you click on some of those links.

I don't know if anybody's been following this story, but back in 2012 a local historian by the name of Catherine Corless published findings that the bodies of 796 babies and children had essentially gone missing after they died under the care of the Bon Secours sisters in their convent in Tuam, Coupled with earlier findings by local children (going back to the '70's) of children's bones in the long disused septic tank of the site, she came to the not unreasonable conclusion that most of these children were buried in that septic tank, their short lives swept under the carpet by a church organisation who were supposed to care for and champion them.

The case itself was a slow burner until 2014 when the US based news website Irish Central published this article. Shortly afterwards a petition was set up on Avaaz which garnered over 31,000 signatures one of which was my own, asking for Frances Fitzgerald the then (and current) justice minister to set up a Garda inquiry into the matter with the view of bringing those responsible for this mass killing to light, if not necessarily to justice.

Of course the church sent in its attack dogs, trying their very best to discredit the story and Mrs Corless herself, with many articles like this hack job by Rosita Boland appearing in publications that should have known better (Boland's piece appeared in the Irish Times which used pride itself on being the paper of record here, and which usen't suck up to the bishops quite as much. My how times have changed).

Eventually a commission was set up under Justice Yvonne Murphy to look into this convent and other such institutions (the Mother and Child "home" in Bessborough Co. Cork had similar problems, with the Cork County chief medical officer in the 1940's Dr James Deeny shutting it down because of the high mortality rate in the institution), which decided to do a dig on the site in Tuam. The report of that dig was announced today by Minister for Children Catherine Zappone TD showing that yes indeed that the majority of the children killed by the depraved indifference of the nuns ended up being dumped into a septic tank.

I'm just wondering is it time now to simply do the whole church in Ireland for mass murder and crimes against humanity, repossess all the land they took from the country and kick them out for good?

If you want a comprehensive read of the whole sorry saga (and some really shitty defending of the rcc), you can read this 148 page thread on Boards.ie (I was posting on the site at the time, under my actual name. A lot of people I'd previously respected there got put on my ignore list because of that thread).

Edit: I meant to put in the Wiki article as well. Here it is.

Carlin put this perfectly. If you are pre-born you're sacred, once born, you are fucked.
Terrible. I hope God has a special place reserved in hell for some of those responsible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mass shooting in the middle school Vladislav Ribnikar in Belgrade FlatAssembler 764 26087 July 18, 2023 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up President Biden orders mass deportation of immigrants onlinebiker 135 5668 September 22, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Official Mass Shooter Thread Brian37 351 14248 June 13, 2021 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another mass shooting. Brian37 54 2729 November 21, 2019 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  BREAKING NEWS mass shooting in Florida 12 dead, 25+ injured rkellysucks 3 754 January 5, 2019 at 4:37 pm
  News as surprising as another mass shooting: California ablaze again/still Whateverist 24 2396 November 18, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Today's Mass Shooting Minimalist 55 4243 October 28, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Another day another mass shooting in America downbeatplumb 35 4487 August 29, 2018 at 4:29 pm
  Mass Shooting In Toronto (updated ) Amarok 51 8026 July 24, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Mass Stabbing In Idaho RoadRunner79 20 2621 July 6, 2018 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd